NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
jammy2211

Are the Xbox 360 / Playstation 3 holding the industry back?

They're not stopping, they're all moving to the Wii.

And I don't see what is speculation, tons of copanies have spoken out about the high developement costs.

And how many of these company´s are designing games that are promised to be

innovative and something that hasn´t been done before?

I stopped taking this thread seriously, the minute I read the thread title.

I concur...

Either way, there is a much much larger amount of games coming out on 360 that I'm excited for than I am on Wii.

And guess what the games I'm excited for on Wii are? Mario, Smash Bros and Metroid. All old franchises, 2 of which have been around for, oh, only 20 years.

There's also No More Heroes, although that's the exception rather than the rule.

Developers may be making more Wii games, but all their serious efforts are still geared towards the HD consoles.

Well, you like the 360 games, that's lovely. The Wii has plenty of innovative games lined up. The third parties are VERY geared up to the Wii, just they haven't annocued anything yet for a series of reasons, but many have pledged their support whether they're the big name Capcom's and EA's or the small team low budget indie's.

There are going to be some great games annouced for the Wii, just not yet.

And how many of these company´s are designing games that are promised to be

innovative and something that hasn´t been done before?

I'm pretty sure they all are:

Konami - Dewy's Adventure / Eledees

Capcom - Zack and Wiki

EA - Boogie / MySims

Square Enix - Dragon Quest Swords

Koei - Opoona

That's off the top of my head. These are first wave games and the best of the support isn't annouced. We're all veering away from the point anyway, and any of the points I make people seem keen to just completely go down an irellevent point, sigh.

I stopped taking this thread seriously, the minute I read the thread title.

Thanks for your input, I hope you can carry on making productive and well-educated posts throughout the forums.

Zack and Wiki is the only remotely interesting one out of the ones you listed. Opoona, Dragon Quest and Sims look like ass, and Eledees was just not my kinda game. It might have been "innovative" but it was repetitive and got tedious after a while.

And to say "there will be great games announced." Well, no fucking shit, of course there will, but there really haven't been any great 3rd party games out, or announced yet, and thats the worrying thing. Gamecube had plenty of great games by this time in it's lifecycle.

If any consoles holding gaming back, it's the Wii imo.

It really does depend on what you want out of gaming though. I have been gaming for 20 years now and I wouldnt have minded at all if they just kept using a normal control pad.

Ive said this many times before but when I come in from work I just want to chill out and play games and it really is hard to do that with the Wii. Even games that dont require much movement like Eledees put a strain on your arm/hand. This reason alone is why my 360/PSP/DS gets a hell of alot more playtime than the Wii.

Yeah, i mean Nintendo fans keep going on about how the wiimote is the revolotion, but there forgetting online play and graphics have a big part as well. and tbh i don't think the controls are perfected enough to master online, i mean say Counter Strike was out for the wii, it would be impossible to master the movemnts and get headshots all the time etc. There just not good enough.

I can't say I've ever felt tired when it comes to playing the Wii, with maybe the exception of Wii Boxing, where I really went for it this one time. (I lost my Pro status and was determined to get it back)

But, when it comes to aiming with a standard controller or wiimote, I think I'll always choose the Wiimote. Its far more accurate to shoot exactly where you want to shoot and you feel more involved. The only thing holding back the Wii from housing a great FPS is turning, nobody quite has that nailed yet.

Nobody's forgetting that graphics and online are a big part at all. All Nintendo believe is that you don't need to go "all Hollywood" with the graphics for the game to be immersive. And, they're gaining more online support as the weeks go by, with Madden and Fifa both supporting online play, so I don't think there's any need to worry.

Zack and Wiki is the only remotely interesting one out of the ones you listed. Opoona, Dragon Quest and Sims look like ass, and Eledees was just not my kinda game. It might have been "innovative" but it was repetitive and got tedious after a while.

And to say "there will be great games announced." Well, no fucking shit, of course there will, but there really haven't been any great 3rd party games out, or announced yet, and thats the worrying thing. Gamecube had plenty of great games by this time in it's lifecycle.

Madden was widely praised as the best Madden ever and the best example of what Wii could do for sports games, SSX got a lot of praise from sites that didn't cry like a little bitch when they didn't master it after 4 seconds. Pretty much everything else has been shovelware from companies that totally underestimated the system, but there are still 3rd party games on the horizon that will use it well. Final Fantasy, No More Heroes, Dragon Quest and FIFA 08 are all going to put the controller to use.

Come E3 we will see how well Metroid works with the control scheme.

Its annoying because I really love Nintendo, they are my favourite games company, but in this latest gen im really finding it hard to stick with them. Hopefully E3 will get me back into the fanboy mood.

Come E3 we will see how well Metroid works with the control scheme.

Its annoying because I really love Nintendo, they are my favourite games company, but in this latest gen im really finding it hard to stick with them. Hopefully E3 will get me back into the fanboy mood.

But it's only 6 months or so into a new console's lifetime. Nobody was having a crisis of faith when the 360 went through the same patch! Or the DS.

But it's only 6 months or so into a new console's lifetime. Nobody was having a crisis of faith when the 360 went through the same patch! Or the DS.

I was with the DS lol! Thing is though there were still "normal" games to play. The Wii, at the moment, is just mini game collection after mini games collection. Also, the way that we are getting treated in terms of releases is a disgrace.

Nintendo promised that this kind of thing wouldnt happen again yet it seems we have got stiffed when it comes to Super Paper Mario, Eledees, Trauma Centre and now Mario Party. Ok so Nintendo might not be able to do anything in regards to 3rd party titles but with their own they need to get their fingers out.

I really do long for regular game on the Wii as do others hence the outcry of everyone wanting SPM. Im glad R Evil is out this week as it will give me something to play on my Wii.

In terms of graphics I think that the Wii is fine just aslong as developers do their job and push the machine to its limits. I dont really care if its a super Gamecube as the Cubes graphics were fine to me.

6month into the cube i was having 10x more fun, Pikmin, ExtremeG, Smash Bros, Lugis Mansion.

I was with the DS lol! Thing is though there were still "normal" games to play. The Wii, at the moment, is just mini game collection after mini games collection. Also, the way that we are getting treated in terms of releases is a disgrace.

Nintendo promised that this kind of thing wouldnt happen again yet it seems we have got stiffed when it comes to Super Paper Mario, Eledees, Trauma Centre and now Mario Party. Ok so Nintendo might not be able to do anything in regards to 3rd party titles but with their own they need to get their fingers out.

I really do long for regular game on the Wii as do others hence the outcry of everyone wanting SPM. Im glad R Evil is out this week as it will give me something to play on my Wii.

In terms of graphics I think that the Wii is fine just aslong as developers do their job and push the machine to its limits. I dont really care if its a super Gamecube as the Cubes graphics were fine to me.

There are good titles out there, you just need to look. I still haven't played Madden, but as somebody else rightly said in this thread, that is an example of a game that truely benefits from the controller. There will be many others, as well. Plus, you haven't finished sonic yet, have you?!

6month into the cube i was having 10x more fun, Pikmin, ExtremeG, Smash Bros, Lugis Mansion.

The first 6 months of the Cube were probably the best 6 months of any console, imo.

What did we have? Those you said, plus Wave Race, Burnout, Cel Damage (personal favourite), Pikmin, Rogue Leader.

I think all the consoles are sort of at a standstill. I'm tempted to get a wii, but I just hate how so many of the games are ps2 ports with dodgy controls tacked on, a problem the PSP has had through out it's life. The Xbox 360 seems to be nothing but FPS and Racing. The PS3 is enduring a bit of a dry spell at the momemt, but im hoping some of the releases coming up will change that.

But it ain't all bad, With more Guitar Hero and the new Rockband on the way.

Very true.

I go through phases with the Wii, somedays I love it but thats when im not lying on my bed chilling out. Others I hate it, that IS when im chilling out lying on my bed. The Cube I loved from the start to the very end, hence my collection of games on it.

There are good titles out there, you just need to look. I still haven't played Madden, but as somebody else rightly said in this thread, that is an example of a game that truely benefits from the controller. There will be many others, as well. Plus, you haven't finished sonic yet, have you?!

I think I have played most of the good games so far though. I have owned/own...

Red Steel

Heatseeker

Eledees

Sonic

Cooking Mama

Zelda

Wii Play

Wii Sports

Wario Ware

Rayman Rabbids

Koropina

ExciteTruck

Mario Strikers

Dragon ball Z

Super Monkey Ball

dont think they're pushing the industry back, Ms and Sony's PS3 and X360 were very predictable and they released text book next gen machines but Nintendo have given small developers a very real, cheap, advantageous third option where the Wiimote ensures that games can have no limits - only the devs imagination.

With companies like Seeds, Jetblack, the Pollen Sonata game and small pc dev companies releasing old pc games to the Wii already it's looking like a new market of dev companies could flourish this gen with the Wii.

In fact - by the time companies like Konami / Namco wake up and start to realise the Wii is going to be massive this gen and not a fad then it may be too late as these small companies concentrating 100% will be used to devleoping for the Wiimote.

Madden was widely praised as the best Madden ever and the best example of what Wii could do for sports games, SSX got a lot of praise from sites that didn't cry like a little bitch when they didn't master it after 4 seconds. Pretty much everything else has been shovelware from companies that totally underestimated the system, but there are still 3rd party games on the horizon that will use it well. Final Fantasy, No More Heroes, Dragon Quest and FIFA 08 are all going to put the controller to use.

Madden, or the 10 minutes I played of it was indeed fun, and the Wii controls were what made it awesome, but I don't like sports games, I just don't, I could never get into it.

SSX, which got a rental from me, sucked so unbelievably hard compared to SSX3. DQ looks shit and so does Fifa (as usual) but I'm really very excited for FF and No More Heroes, but the likely hood of them coming before 2008 are remote, which means that Wii's only saving grace this year is going to be Smash Bros, Mario, Metroid and BWii, all Nintendo games. Where's the third party support there?

Dont think Ms and Sony are holding the industry back - they are predictably releasing new consoles / games as they always have with mor powewrful consoles and better looking, bigger games and 1 year ago that would have been okay for me.

Since getting the Wii - that bores me now and the Wiimote has ruined FPS with the control pad for me, I also predict it will for driving games also once a decent effort comes along. Nintendo has pushed the console and the handheld market and blown it wide open in my opinion and turned it on it's head with state of the art / massive hig budget producted games looking old and tired for me now - it's all about the gameplay and innovation. This is where smaller dev companies where the devs get a lot of freedom of though will flourish, the Wii was aimed with them in mind and Pollen sonata looks to the be the first game that'll demonstrate this.

No More Heroes, Opoona, REUC, Ghost Squad, Red Steel 2 (it'll come - and it'll be fantastic), Tiger Woods 08, Maddens 08, Zak and whatever it's called quest for barbaros treasure, Pollen sonata, Spore, My sims (not my type of games but this'll be huge).

The third party support will be there for the second release of Wii Games and they're getting better every release schedue that passes. (RE4, Harry Potter, Dragon Quest, Dragon Arms, Sims Pets, Trauma Centre on this release schedule )

Madden, or the 10 minutes I played of it was indeed fun, and the Wii controls were what made it awesome, but I don't like sports games, I just don't, I could never get into it.

SSX, which got a rental from me, sucked so unbelievably hard compared to SSX3. DQ looks shit and so does Fifa (as usual) but I'm really very excited for FF and No More Heroes, but the likely hood of them coming before 2008 are remote, which means that Wii's only saving grace this year is going to be Smash Bros, Mario, Metroid and BWii, all Nintendo games. Where's the third party support there?

The Third party support can't really be blamed on Nintendo. Every wrote the Wii off, the GameCube was a failure and PS3 was going to dominate everything. Thing is, this hasn't happend, and now that the Wii only proved itself 5 months ago companies have had to start developing the proper games for it around January time earliest.

Games take over a year to develope, so obviously we don't know about the games yet. The games will come, cheap develpoment costs on a console selling so quick is a no-brainer for any businesses. With that support will come the innovative, as well, they go hand in hand.

I'm really amazed by the third party support. When you think how forgotten the GameCube was, we're getting exclusive games from big francshies like NiGHTS, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Rygar, Soul Caliber and the Sims, as well as lots of new stuff / other franchises like Zack and wiki, Guitar Hero, No More Heroes and Opoona.

If I had told you of a turn around like that before the Wii launched, you would have laughed very very hard. The progress it's made in terms of the upcoming line up in the 6 months is incredible, just we don't have anything yet, but it's obvious it's coming.

Nintendo were in an impossible situation, no one was going to put any real effort into developing for the Wii except themselves, and they didn't have the money to go paying people. Sure, we're getting a pretty iffy first year but Nintendo are turning it around to make this sort of thing short term and not long term.

Since I got my 360 about a month or two ago, my Wii has barely been used. In fact, I haven't bought a new game for it since. The "average" games (by which I mean low key games, not necessarily bad ones), which I would have gotten, like The Godfather, Heatseeker, or Metal Slug Anthology, have been forgotten. This is the first time I've owned two current gen consoles at the same time; instead of getting all the average games from one console, I'm only getting the truly great games on both. Recently the Wii just hasn't had any of these, while I'm struggling to buy and get through the catalog of games I want for the Xbox. Resi Evil will change that, though.

But what I'm trying to get at is that the Wii lacks those killer games right now. But I look to future releases on Wii, and there are more I want for it than the Xbox. Maybe thats because I only joined the 360 wagon recently and don't know about the games, but it's the way it is.

I personally love the Wii so much already for its power to bring those who aren't gamers into 'play'. It's like a catch 22 situation though. We want to show off our hobby but we also want it to be exclusively ours. Secretively immersing ourselves in an epic quest or a tight league for hours upon hours. I respect the idea that the Wii has brought consoles into the living room space as an accessible piece of electronics entertainment. And as much as I love this idea I also feel we are currently being shafted when it comes to traditional design. I have NO DOUBT this will be a void argument by next year though. But as a gamer for many years I would like to have seen more traditional games available on the Wii by now. Pro Evo is apparently taxing the developers brain due to the controller. EA are going all out for motion on franchises that already have a proven track record. (Dangerous surely as we all don't want the change.) Yet there are two sides to this. Innovation or stagnation..I'm for both. I just dont want to flail around all of the time.

The need to develop for the Wii should cater to all of the strengths of the console. Not just the controller. I harbour for a more traditional gaming experience. Personalised. And at the moment there haven't been many traditional gaming experiences to be had on the Wii. And I think this is the crux of many a peoples frustrations (as gamers). Sheer expectancy of more traditional games and the lack of these. (Reversing what the cube had at launch.)

Give developers time and I'm sure the Wii will cater for all crowds one day....I just hope the controller isn't the be all and end all. The cube ports and classic controller are there for a reason!

Gamecube was clearly not a failure, it was my favourite console of last generation.

All, or most of the 3rd party games announced are tedious looking spin offs of existing franchises. I don't like it. I've had a Wii since launch day and the best game on it so far is A Link To The Past.

Ironic, because the name of that game describes the only thing Wii is good for at this moment.

Gamecube was clearly not a failure, it was my favourite console of last generation.

The world doesn't revolve around you, Bardy. :heh:

I think they meant sales wise, anyway. It should have done much better than it did, but it was a home to many cracking games.

Yeah, but failure insinuates that it failed on every level, when it clearly didn't, it had some immense game on it. Wii, is failing so far as I'm concerned, ie, as a core gamer, it's just not appealing to me on any level...

Sign in to follow this