NEurope
Guest Jordan

Something I want to get off my chest...

When i was, around 10 I had this problem. Whenever I travelled, I used to feel sick, I don't know how this started and I've only been travel sick once in my entire life because of a reaction I had eating something. I had this for a few years and then it went away.

It returned, as far as i can remember, in year 11 and i've had it since. However its miles, miles worse. I feel sick whenever i get nervous, whenever i travel or where alot of people are around. I go out and think to myself "What if i'm sick? Oh god, I really hope i don't in public." I for a while used to carry a bag around with me just incase, I don't know why I did this... Security I guess.

In the next few weeks, i have to travel up to Shetland again. Last time was utter torture for me, but I didn't tell Letty how bad it was for me. I was utterly petrified of throwing up on those 2 planes. I know this is psychological rather than biological, I know when i am sick (when i'm ill for example) it feels completely different and i know why i feel ill. You know that thing that dangles down from the back of your throat? Well mine, when i get nervous increases in size due to blood and it rests on the back of my tounge, making me feel really ill.

I've tried everything to stop this. Ignoring it, anti sickness tablets, trying to do something else. This is the reason i stopped driving, yes, every week i put myself through this, because my parents were forcing me to take driving lessons. I've never told them of my problems, ever. I don't know what to do and I have to sort this aspect of my life, its holding me back... completely.

Thanks for reading...

I get travel sick every so often. Mostly on long car journeys when I havent been in a car for ages. Listening ot music and chewing gum is really good. There are also non perscription tablets.

Hm ya this happens to me in long car jouney's. The seatbelt makes me breath heavy and the heat get's to me.

I'm fine as long as i know i have space.

I get a pain in my stomach when i'm nervous as well but I tried to stop myself from getting nervous it worked but now i'm just lazy.

You're problem is normal,it's mainly just a nerves problem i would think. Try to relax when travelling:)

It's anxiety, I think you should go and see a Doctor about it, maybe get their advice about ways forward from there.

As Chuck said, think of things to calm you down, like music, games, etc.

Dang sorry to hear that J-dawg.

Im afraid I cant really offer up any advice...maybe...close your eyes, listen to music, make up a story in your head that you can lose yourself in? With characters etc...?

Sounds mostly like a psychological thing. I also get really nervous when travelling, especially when I have to travel alone. I can't sleep the night before and during the day I feel like I might pass out or stuff like that. It's quite bad sometimes, but I've been able to manage and get where I had to go (I still haven't learned to drive yet though, cars scare me...).

I think maybe you should try and talk to a doctor about this or something? I'm sure there's something that can be done, though it probably would be best if it wasn't just a prescription for something, cause I doubt anything would help (except for maybe something to calm you down?).

It's anxiety, I think you should go and see a Doctor about it, maybe get their advice about ways forward from there.

As Chuck said, think of things to calm you down, like music, games, etc.

Dont look down though. It may be an old wives tale but dont concentrate on reading or something like that.

That seems the best advice.

Sounds like the possible onset of panic attacks and/or social phobia and without going into too much detail it is something which I am familiar with.

Ignoring it is never an answer as it only compounds the problem and brings with it an increased sense of isolation and abnormality which only starts the vicious circle again.

Learning to accept it is a major thing , that way you realise that it is a more common problem than you can imagine and you can get the support of those around you.

In a large majority of cases it will pass eventually and it is only rarely that those afflictions will stay throughout your life , so don't get too alarmed.

First and foremost though , get to a Doctors just to make sure that it is nothing medical and then you can seek further advice from there on.

It looks like you've somehow made nervousness an anchor for motion sickness... it sounds almost like a phobia or something.

Whatever it is, it can't be pleasant, so you have my sympathy.

You need to chill.

Tidy your room, find the loudest speakers in the house, then adjust the volume to something that's loud that will envelop you without hurting your ears. Lie down on your bed or chill on a recliner, close your eyes then turn on First breath after Coma by explosions in the sky.

You have exactly the same problem as me, it's probably irritable bowel syndrome, which can't be cured, but can be managed. With psychological help and some exames (blood tests, colonoscopies, endoscopies) you can make sure you have nothing wrong physically. Basically, you'll have to learn to live with it and control your nerves. At some point it will become second nature. I've had this for some years and it's horrible, it fucked my social life, my love life, my school, everything, but with with the support of friends, family, doctors and doing hypno therapy I'm getting better. I can control my nerves much better.

For example, I'm going to have a 1.30h hour car trip with awful weather and going to a Dream Theater concert, which is the ideal place to make me feel like crap, but I can't let this take over my life and I gotta fight back. Also, be careful with what you eat, try not to eat spicy things. You can see me often on Meaningless Post complaining about being nauseous and stuff.

Of course, I'm no doctor, so you should see one. Add me to messenger if you want to talk it out man.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all your help so far guys, its something i've had for a while and i know i have this problem.

It could be IBS, my sister had it and i had it for a while. I know i'll have to make an appointment fairly soon, hopefully i don't get given anything thats in tablet form, as many of you know, i can't swallow them for shit :) Eep, i'm such a mess!

v10all.jpg

EDIT: .... just noticed your "tablet form" comment. Damn.

Anyone want to help a brother with a small 'stash' problem?

lol i used to take Diazepam, i got all excided because i heard snipers use that drug to steddy threir aim. It got me feeling all wierd though, i was stumbeling around, slurring my speach in places and sleeping way more than normal.

I was taking them for panic attacks, when ever i was in a crouded space or when i worried i would have a panic attack. It was kind of fun though, i liked going through the depersonalization stage because i started to see sparkels and i felt like i was floating

I used to find it crazy difficult to swallow pills too. I got able to actually do so like 18 months ish ago, which is like...your age, so maybe youll get over that soon too.

When I was little I couldn't swallow them either, the trick is to drink the water (or wtvr liquid) normally with the pill in your mouth without doing anything special. So the trick is not to have a trick :P

Now I'm getting a little nervous about the concert, I'm starting to sweat :P Focus, foucs

I don't know alot about things like this but could something have happened in your past that could of make you like that? I used to have a problem with being around other people and outside of the house but nothing to the extent of throwing up etc. Mine was caused by alot of bad things happening to me when i was out the house. Getting attacked in the street and in work(i worked in bakery at asda at the time). For a long time i wouldn't leave the house, i always got taxi's home from work instead of walking etc. It ruined my first holiday abroad coz i was scared to go to the pool etc.

I'm not perfect now but alot better through counsiling sessions and just building my own confidence back up. I now work in security at the same asda store so that must say something! I'm also going for my second trip abroad in less than 3 weeks so things are on the up for me.

Hope you can find some way of making your problem better.

Yeah, i'd say go see a Doc. If it's restricticting you to traveling and other social things then you may aswell get it sorted.

I have a sort of thing like that, but maybe not as bad:

I now go red everytime i talk to people, even paying for something at the checkouts. I purposly avoid talking to people and do quick answers (i bet they think i'm a right ignorant sod) I go red when under pressure as in counting out change and being watched.

Friends at school don't particually help, they handly point out everytime i go red *looks at Moogleviper* which makes it get even worse.

Now i've learnt that they can stare all they want, i'm still bothered about it but cant stop me.

To be completely honest, Im just glad this isnt a thread about Jordan stripping off.

The thread title had me a little nervous.

You can get counselling to try and overcome such phobia's no?

It's a mental condition that makes you feel ill there must be someone out there that can offer something to help.

I used to have the same problem with escalators but I overcome that by taking the stairs, you don't have the same luxury.

Thanks for all your help so far guys, its something i've had for a while and i know i have this problem.

It could be IBS, my sister had it and i had it for a while. I know i'll have to make an appointment fairly soon, hopefully i don't get given anything thats in tablet form, as many of you know, i can't swallow them for shit :) Eep, i'm such a mess!

People like my sister have terrible trouble with tablets because they try too hards to swallow them. The main thing you shouldn't do is put your head back- just sit straight, put the tablet in your mouth, forget it is there, then take a drink of water and it should go straight down.

However, I'm only passing on this advice... I find tablets oddly easy to swallow, and often do it without water...

v10all.jpg

Those babies are quality with a few beers....

On the subject at hand though, I used to be really bad at travelling the only thing that I was ok with was trains. I grew out of it at around 20 years old though. The only thing I can say is what was stated above, try to keep yourself looking out of the windows, not at a book or the floor when travelling.

Well, thank you for that. That's a great weight off me mind.

A few beverages before drivetime is the way forwards.

v10all.jpg

They'd help with the anxiety, but they wouldn't be much good for driving ;)

Yeah, see the doc.

I haven't read the whole thread, only the first post, but that sounds very much like what I learnt about anxiety disorders in the form of anxiety/panic attacks. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but I believe after a while the anxiety comes due to a fear of anxiety, causing a terrible circle where you fear fear itself. You definitely need to go and see your doctor about it, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get some much needed counselling on the NHS, which should help the problem alot. I can see it as warranted too, it's clearly affecting your everyday life.

EDIT: Actually after reading Hellfire's post, I'm more convinced it's IBS, cos he's had first hand experience :heh: