NEurope

With a lot of recent goings on, I've been thinking about whether there is such a thing as "fate". My driving test was got cancelled (by the DSA) and rearranged, and I was seriously ill on that day. Now you'd most likely think that was simply down to "bad luck", but after thinking a while, could it be something more? God is a possibility, maybe he saw me as one of the many ungrateful unbelievers and decided "I'll make that Zell fail his driving test, that'll teach the cocksucker" although I don't believe in God one bit. Maybe it was "MyNameIsEarl" style karma getting back at me for something bad I did, but this idea sort of overlaps with the higher power God thing. So this leaves fate, fate decided that I will have my test rearranged to a day where I am ill. I look back and see all the things I could've done to change the scenario but then again fate decides all the little things as well. So in a way, with fate around, you have no control over your actions. You have a destined path.

Really though, I'm just a little depressed and I'm just dwelling over it too much (kind of one of those moments where you think "if there's a God he hates me) and I know it's just nothing and should get over it - especially since failing a driving test is no big deal at all.

Well enough about me, what are your opinions on fate? Do you believe you were destined to meet this famous person when you did, do you like to thin you have control of your actions or do you just don't think that deeply about it?

I believe in fate to some extent, though I believe much more in the whole karma idea.

I do think things happen for a reason, like when you said you missed your driving test, maybe that was to stop you from taking the test, passing and going out and having a crash at a certain time or something? Though then again it could have just been complete coincidence.

But I do think things are going to happen and there's nothing you can do about it. I think we all have control over our actions, just not completely if that makes sense.

Terminator basically sums up my views on this..."There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

However taking another idea, this time stolen from Donnie Darko, another view I sometimes have is that we all have set 'channels' that we travel through in life but within those channels there is a certain amount of choice and flexibility...if that makes sense....

Don't believe in fate. It's just another excuse people use when things go wrong. Blame something tangible or take it yourself. Don't believe things happen for a reason either, same reason as above because it's just fate extended to a phrase.

How unfair it would be to have things predetermined with out your choice, I can't believe that unless there's proof (although a Berserk scenario scares me). Fate is a excuse used by people when a too many variables out of their reach coincide. Pure coincidence.

Charles Gunn in Angel series 4 said something I liked;

Fred:Will it make a difference? We really are just pieces being moved around a board.

Gunn:Then we'll kick it over and start a new game. Look, monochrome can yap all he wants about no-name's cosmic plan, but here's a little something I picked up rubbing mojos these past couple of years. The final score can't be rigged. I don't care how many players you grease, that last shot always comes up a question mark. But here's the thing—you never know when you're taking it. It could be when you're duking it out with the Legion of Doom, or just crossing the street deciding where to have brunch. So you just treat it all like it was up to you—the world in the balance—'cause you never know when it is.

.. So yeah. I like that philosophy - that there is fate, and there is free will. It is fated for you to be guided towards certain choices in life that you do have to choose yourself - but you don't know which choices are made by you or fate.. That kind of thing. :)

I was always a firm believer in fate, but nowadays I'm not so sure. When you see good thing happening for bad people, it makes you wonder "where's the justice in that?" It doesn't really seem fair, imo, so that's swaying me not to believe in fate so much anymore.

I feel like my 360 being broken is fate. Some powerful being broke it so i had more time for my exams. I forsee that it will come after Saturday therefore my £85 will be refunded and all will be well.

Don't believe in fate, when things wrong or people are lucky they clutch onto it. Yet if someone has worked hard for something they abandon fate take the praise for it and feel like they have really worked to deserve it and it was all their own doing, when surely by the logic of fate, they always bound to do it?

The only fate i believe in is the junction of all the physical and chemical laws of our universe, which dictated our fate since the beggining of the universe. Not just us persons, but all the things in existence. All the laws are perfect and will never fail (unless you consider some kind of paranormal activity).

But there is no possible way to ever predict what will happen in the future because we would need a universe emulator, so fate doesn't really matter and is a useless concept and i should just shut up already, right?

Theory - a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

Arnt Laws of Physics and Chemistry just Theories?

No, a theory is something that is still trying to be proved universal. When such happens, the theory is "promoted" to law. Laws are universal until something is found that can prove them wrong.

In science, there are a various established scientific laws, or physical laws as they are sometimes called, that are considered universal and invariable facts of the physical world. Laws of science may, however, be disproved if new facts or evidence arise to contradict them. A "law" differs from hypotheses, theories, postulates,principles, etc., in that a law is an analytic statement, usually with an empirically determined constant. A theory may contain a set of laws, or a theory maybe implied from an empirically determined law. Conservative estimates indicate that there are 18 basic physical laws in the universe.

More on wikipedia here

If I believed in fate, I wouldn't see any point in existing.

I like to think that I have control over my life

I don't really believe in fate or a higher power. Bad things happen to good people and I see no sense in that being predetermined. A baby is fated to die in a car crash on the way home from the hospital? Millions of innocent children in China are fated to live on the streets, begging? Whilst it's another man's fate to win 6mil in the lottery when he's never contributed a single thing to the world in his life? Where do fate and choices fall into this? Nowhere. Some people just get fucked.

I don't really believe in fate or a higher power. Bad things happen to good people and I see no sense in that being predetermined. A baby is fated to die in a car crash on the way home from the hospital? Millions of innocent children in China are fated to live on the streets, begging? Whilst it's another man's fate to win 6mil in the lottery when he's never contributed a single thing to the world in his life? Where do fate and choices fall into this? Nowhere. Some people just get fucked.

"So this is how it is. The innocent suffer. The guilty go free. And truth and fiction are pretty much interchangeable. There is neither a Santa Claus nor an Easter Bunny, and there are no angels watching over us. Things just happen for no reason. And nothing makes any sense."

What you said just reminded me of that quote.

Anyway. I don't know if I believe in the idea of fate. I bounce between believing it and not believing it and ultimatly I end up confused. Its easy to blame bad things in your life on fate or "it was meant to be" but I suppose its one of those things we'll never find an answer to so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

I believe in fate TO AN EXTENT. We make our own decisions in life and like Bard said, there wouldn't be point in life is we were destined to only achieve certain things, however I do believe everything happens for a reason and some things are destined to happen. Some people live on opposite ends of the world, meet once and fall in love; i believe that was always going to happen.

Looking back on it, i think it was fate that me and sophie broke up as soon as we did; realistically we were 2 different people. Yes we cared for each other deeply, but despite how much we tried to love each other we were always different (we just hid it), and under special circumstances we broke up. I'm not surprised.

Is it fate that i'm such good friends with a girl called kacie in my year? I think it was, because i wasnt friends with her at all last year, and i only got close to her because i had a choice between doing phycology and english, and by choosing english i got my free periods with her. if i didn't choose that, i wouldn't get to talk to her (i probably would still get shy talking to her).

Fate is weird. We can control it to some extent, but i think we are all destined for greatness; it's the choices that we make that sometimes affect this.

no no no no no a thousand times noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Fate is for fucking idiots who can't accept reality being completely, brilliantly random. The idea that the Universe has some kind of pre-determined, concious plan is so fucking belief beggeringly retarded that the worlds finest Lexicographer would be lost for words trying to explain how thick it makes you sound.

I believe in Sod's Law.

I was about to say something about that, damn my slow mind.

I was about to say something about that, damn my slow mind.

See, Sod's Law! :heh:

See, Sod's Law! :heh:

lol. See, there's no way anyone can't believe it exists now.

kratos1.gif

sorry i just had to do that

anyway since something is going to happen dosen't there have to be such a thing as fate

fate only means what will happen