NEurope
Ant-Shimmin

Pro Evolution 2008

Konami Unveils Pro Evo 2008

Konami has lifted the lid on the first details for the next Pro Evo game and has promised that it will be "the closest simulation of real football to date." Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (working title) will be released on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PS2, PSP and DS later this year and boasts what Konami is calling "a revolution in player artificial intelligence" -- dubbed Teamvision, which enables the opposition to learn your style of player and adapt their tactics accordingly.

winning-eleven-pro-evolution-soccer-2008-20070618032336094.jpg

According to Konami, Teamvision will totally change the way PES fans play the game, because the adaptive AI forces players to constantly rethink their tactics. So, for example, if you prefer to run the ball down the wing and knock in a cross to a tall centre forward like Peter Crouch, your opponent will quickly change their tactics to close down the wide players and mark your hitmen more heavily. Similarly, if your favoured method of defence is to protect the back four with a sweeper -- then the other team will quickly pick up on this and change their attackers to take advantage of your formation.

winning-eleven-pro-evolution-soccer-2008-20070618032416234.jpg

Naturally the effectiveness of an opponent's change in tactics depends on the team they're playing as: strong international and club squads will be able to counter your tactics faster and more effectively than less skilled clubs, although players will still notice the change in their opponents play if they resort to using the same channels of attack. Likewise, powerful teams can also punish lazy tactical play to devastating effect, so if you lose the ball in your half to Robbie Keane there's a good chance he'll score. However, lose out to a less proficient striker and the odds of them converting the shot are less favourable.

winning-eleven-pro-evolution-soccer-2008-20070618032416952.jpg

The improved AI changes the way the game is played almost on every level, forcing players to take a much wider view of the game and real use the full width and breadth of their team. As such the pitch scanner plays a much bigger part in the game because it enables players to pick out openings in the defence (if they're skilled enough, obviously) and thread a ball through to an advancing attacker.

winning-eleven-pro-evolution-soccer-2008-20070618032417640.jpg

Teamvision affects set-plays as well as free play too. Cheap free kicks are a thing of the past because the opposing defence will close down runs faster, which prevents players from passing a ball into the box and tapping a shot in from short range. Naturally there are times when you will scorean easy goal, whether it's from a well-worked passing move or a fizzing direct free kick, but the enchanced AI now means players must think more if they want to consistantly win.

Other improvements promised for PES 2008 includes improved greater close control, so there's more scope for skilled dribbling, tricks and neat inter-player passing moves. Setting up a free-kick isn't quick as restrictive either, whether you're defending or attacking. You can change the number of players in the wall if you're defending or, if you're on the attacking, plan runs more intricately and position specific target men for the kicker to aim for.

winning-eleven-pro-evolution-soccer-2008-20070618032418265.jpg

However, the most noticeable improvement PES 2008 will offer over its predecessors (apart from Teamvision of course) is the graphics. Konami promises it will be a true next-gen experience, so there will be proper facial animations, shirt pulling and kits that flow and crease as the players run around. Watermarks from sweat and rain appear as the game continues too, bringing the player that bit closer to the action than ever before. All next-gen versions will feature a fully functional edit mode too -- something that was sorely lacking from last year's 360 version of PES 6 -- so players can create there own team and or edit existing ones. As yet there's no word on which licensed teams will feature or indeed what online modes we can expect.

winning-eleven-pro-evolution-soccer-2008-20070618032418906.jpg

"We have taken a long hard look at what has made the Pro Evolution Soccer series so popular, and where we want to take it next," commented Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka, creator of the series and Producer of PES 2008. "With the new Teamvision AI system, we truly believe that we have elevated the game to a new level. The movement of players off the ball, coupled with the total control given to the player, creates the closest simulation of real football to date. We really hope everyone enjoys our evolution. I promise it will be worth the wait." We certainly hope so.

Adds another game to Father Christmas's list, looks like it's going to be another great game...

Please can we have rights to Liverpool next time round?

Ohh Jesus, I now have a raging semi!

But please, no West Midlands Village!

Well you can change West Midlands village now with the editing and using the usb port, make all the kits the real ones through updates on the internet :D

Can you do that on the 360 version of PES6? If so link?

Nah mate because they prohibited license changing, with this next one you will be able too tho in the same manour that you could on the PS2 version.

Thought so.

The only way I will buy the next one with enthusiasm is if they have an edit mode, saveable goals so you can share them, better online mode, and of course more licesnsing.

Thats why I like the PC version this year, I am currently downloading the super patch, more music FIFA commentary, more stadia, better kids..

2GB File but oh Well :P

Im liking the avatar and signature change, other ones just looked queer...

This is the true next step.

Hardy Hardy Har

Bet you can still only run around in 8 directions like a retard. GFX are shit too like Immy said.

Graphics don't look too impressive but its still the best football game out there.

Pro Evo 7 FTW!

Well you can change West Midlands village now with the editing and using the usb port, make all the kits the real ones through updates on the internet :D

What d'you mean now? I've always changed West Midlands Village to Aston Villa via edit mode since PES3, I want the licensed Aston Villa this time round. Arrrgghh!

I was referring to the latest 360 version, where even editing names was not allowed... I assmumed u were a 360 head. But yeah if you have the PS2, its always possible to aqquire the right names and kits - good to see it coming to 360 and ps3 too..

I bought the 360 version, but traded it in for a PS2 version after the lack-of-edit-mode discovery. If you'd seen the Pro Evo 6 thread a few months back you would have seen that little story of mine.

With every PES game I got, I immediately get all the updated kits and names, all from a wonderful thing called the internet. Makes the game so much better.

Glad that the next gen outings will now be able to do that.

I loved editing the kits of unlicensed teams, and the satisfaction from making one that looked almost exactly like the real thing was fantastic.

Right lads, three days left for the gem of a football game to come out! Pre order at shopto.net for 29.99 :D cant go wrong !

The next gen version has been butchered, they've cut out features from the PS2 version and given us a more limited editing mode.

If I were you go for the PS2 version or PC version for it's multiple modding capabilities.

With every PES game I got, I immediately get all the updated kits and names, all from a wonderful thing called the internet. Makes the game so much better.

Glad that the next gen outings will now be able to do that.

Just thought I would tell you that you cannot do this on 360 or PS3. the edit kit templates are a joke so you can only change the front of the shirts. the back and arms can not be changed so kits looks stupid.

Plus with the 360 version I very much doubt we will be able to download option files off the internet due to Microsoft's strict policy.

Ironflame I don't understand Konami. why take features out, they should be adding stuff on. The PS2 game still has more features than the 360/PS3 version.

I'm really looking forward to this. The demo was brilliant. :grin:

But please, no West Midlands Village!

Well, another year of waiting for that to happen. :(

Aston isn't even a village for feck's sake! It's a town!

The next gen version has been butchered, they've cut out features from the PS2 version and given us a more limited editing mode.

If I were you go for the PS2 version or PC version for it's multiple modding capabilities.

And miss out on Xbox Live, you crazy man!

I'll be getting it on Friday. Back to the old school PES days of North London Red.

Wait wait wait!

What's missing from 360 version? What won't I be able to do?

The PS3/360 games are the same but the 360 version plays super fast like the demo. I hated the speed so will wait for Winning Eleven 2008 (November 22nd) as the japanese version should be slower.

PS3 version plays slower more realistic pace but has slowdown. http://www.pro-g.co.uk/ps3/pes7/review.html

PS3 version will probably be easier to get option files for so edited teams etc you will be able to get from the web. Seems like MS will not allow this on 360.

Both version have the same poor edit mode. yes you can edit players but you cannot edit kits fully as you can only change the front of the shirt. Both versions seem to be laggy online.

It seems like USB sticks or Digital camera's do not work with the game so if you want to put your face on you will need the xbox live vision camera.

Bastards, I only have a 360.

like i said the only difference is game speed and the ability to use option files. I have hear that if you play 360 version with VGA cable it slows the game down. not sure if that true though.

PS3 had worse framerate so maybe you should be happy your getting 360 version. I have heard both version are really poor with the framerate on goal replays. it is suppose to be really realy bad.

another piss take from Konami is that PS2 version has 40 stadiums while PS3/360 has only got 15.