NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MunKy

Atheist superheroes/villains

Inspired by the Batman debate. I started thinking that there are loads of characters who are openly (insert religion). However I can't think of any atheists. I'm not a major comic fan so this could be the reason but I would really like to know.

I think Iron Man is an atheist who only believes in science. Rorschach and the Comedian (Watchmen) were probably atheists too...

Why this interest?

Teal'c

starg.jpg

He was heavily religious at one point, but then killed his God. That's what I'd call an extreme athiest. And although not technically a super hero, he does have heightened strength and realistically should have been dead several times.

Teal'c

starg.jpg

He was heavily religious at one point, but then killed his God.

He was a false God!

There are lots of villains that don't even talk about that. Don't think that Rhaz Al'Gul is religious, Joker not religious either, Mr. Fantastic... Lots of examples.

I'm still struggling to think of a superhero who is openly religious, let alone one who makes a point of having no religion.

He was a false God!

But Teal'c still believed in him once!

I'm still struggling to think of a superhero who is openly religious, let alone one who makes a point of having no religion.

Agreed. Even Superman, for all his Messiah-a-like connotations is not openly religious.

ohh, got one actually. Nightcrawler is an ordained Catholic Priest. Only example I can think of.

Nightcrawler is openly Catholic.

Shorty the interest comes from being an Atheist myself. That and a general wondering as to why various religions are dealt with but not Atheism. Strange considering the shit storm it seems to be causing in America

Nightcrawler is openly Catholic.

Shorty the interest comes from being an Atheist myself. That and a general wondering as to why various religions are dealt with but not Atheism. Strange considering the shit storm it seems to be causing in America

Well, really, since it's harder to think of religious Superheroes, doesn;t that mean Atheism is rife?

I don't think many "main" heroes are religious. Wonder Woman prays to her own Greek Pantheon, but Superman is meant to represent the american dream, and therefore can't be any one religion.

Usually religion is used in comics to make a plot-line. The graphic novel "God Loves, Man Kills" being the most obvious example. (This the story X-Men 2 is loosely based off) A religious madman starts some campaign to kill all mutants or something like that.

Really, there SHOULDN'T be any Atheists in DC or Marvel, since the afterlife and "god" has been seen frequently in both.

And the likelihood is that you'll come to life anyway. :awesome:

Teal'c

starg.jpg

He was heavily religious at one point, but then killed his God. That's what I'd call an extreme athiest. And although not technically a super hero, he does have heightened strength and realistically should have been dead several times.

I don't know why, but that picture is really offputting. It may be the unbalance between his tiny head and massive arms, his.. odd hair, and the fact he bears an uncanny resemblance to Moira Stuart.

Honestly, who cares? In comics I can't imagine religion being used any further than to create a personality and maybe some aspects of the story.

Sign in to follow this