NEurope
Dyson

Accents

I have a totally bizarre mixture of accents. So much so that many people can't tell where I'm from.

Yup, same here. I'm mostly Northern Irish with a bit of English / Scottish threw in somewhere. Its a rather strange combination.

I really like broad belfast accents. :D

I have a really light Glasgow accent, so much so that many Glasweigians ask me where I'm from.

It's a wierd mix, sounds slightly American. I put it down to an American speech therapist I had as a kid.

Edit* anybody who confuses Scottish and Irish accents just hasn't heard one of them properly.

Northern Irish FTW :heh:

Quite a Ballymena Accent from me I assume.. but my girlfriend is at me from time to time as I have managed to integrate some of my 'country boy' language into her vocabulary.. good times.. :yay:

What I wonder is- if someone was sat in a room pretty much without speaking to anyone for a year and watched nothing but people on TV with an american accent, would they come out of that room speaking American? Accents fascinate me, I find it so strange how they can be so diverse and always wondered how on earth they ever came about..

I have a voice with a southern accent. I love the Irish accent, hate the Scottish one.

Northern Irish FTW :heh:

Quite a Ballymena Accent from me I assume.. but my girlfriend is at me from time to time as I have managed to integrate some of my 'country boy' language into her vocabulary.. good times.. :yay:

What I wonder is- if someone was sat in a room pretty much without speaking to anyone for a year and watched nothing but people on TV with an american accent, would they come out of that room speaking American? Accents fascinate me, I find it so strange how they can be so diverse and always wondered how on earth they ever came about..

country boy language?

you mean FARMER language :P..

tho he calls me a townie..

aye :awesome:

I can't really say what accent I have. I guess I have a "milton keynes" accent.

country boy language?

tho he calls me a townie..

aye :awesome:

I'm heading to Ireland in August and I was infromed by my Irish friend that in some areas they are called "scangers"

Neds in Scotland. Chavs in England and i've been informed Townies aswell. How can we keep up? I think we should use scum as the universal term.

i love northen irish accents. I think there great. Also Northen Ireland is a great place. :D

I find it hard to describe my accent and what my voice sounds like.

I'm heading to Ireland in August and I was infromed by my Irish friend that in some areas they are called "scangers"

Neds in Scotland. Chavs in England and i've been informed Townies aswell. How can we keep up? I think we should use scum as the universal term.

scanger? thats the republic of ireland..lol

what part of ireland are you going to?

im a townie because he lives in the country and i live a minutes walk from the center of town :(

I suppose I'm a townie too then.

I'm backpacking down the east coast randomly. My only aim is to reach as far south in two weeks then head back home for college.

Naturally, I have a welsh accent. Some say it's very strong while others just think it's normal. When I speak english with people I don't like, or am not comfortable being with, my voice tends to go very deep, which I hate! I hate hearing my voice on a recording too, it sounds different.

"Fairhill, it's a big shopping centre in Ballymena...HEY"

hey - i work in fairhill the big shopping centre in ballymena hey!

country boy language?

I wouldn't say they're really the same thing. I lived in rural Lincolnshire for 7 years and got a bit of an accent, but there's a seperate farmer accent that you get amongst certain folk. Sometimes I think they're actually going out of their way to say stupid words in a farmer accent intentionally. Like "tra'or". Who the hell puts a glottal stop (that's like when you miss the 't' sound out of 'water') in the word tractor?? It sounds ridiculous.

Eye Liyk Sheep Eye dew!

I wouldn't say they're really the same thing. I lived in rural Lincolnshire for 7 years and got a bit of an accent, but there's a seperate farmer accent that you get amongst certain folk. Sometimes I think they're actually going out of their way to say stupid words in a farmer accent intentionally. Like "tra'or". Who the hell puts a glottal stop (that's like when you miss the 't' sound out of 'water') in the word tractor?? It sounds ridiculous.

Eye Liyk Sheep Eye dew!

its a running joke i have with him - hes the farmer (even tho hes not really) and im the townie.. (even tho i am)..

.. i couldnt understand a word his family really said the first night i was at their house cause they use a strange "dialect" ( for lack of better words!)..

I see. I've never really had a problem understanding an accent until I met my flatmate's dad, with a very thick NI accent. Man that was something else. I just nodded and smiled.

I see. I've never really had a problem understanding an accent until I met my roommate's dad, with a very thick NI accent. Man that was something else. I just nodded and smiled.

haha yes - we can be hard to understand :awesome: (if someone from ni cant understand another ni accent - god help the rest of you!)..

tho i do love my accent - i used to hate it terribly

quite random: i love welsh accents - the ones that have got a "lilt" ( as i call it)..

.. i just love all UK accents!

except the one that cheryl tweedy has *shivers*

I suppose I'm a townie too then.

I'm backpacking down the east coast randomly. My only aim is to reach as far south in two weeks then head back home for college.

If ya make it as far South as Wexford gimme a PM and we can go for a pint :)

If ya make it as far South as Wexford gimme a PM and we can go for a pint :)

Seeing as you have Biffy Clyro in your last fm tracks you must be a good person.

I'll take you up on that offer if I make it.

What accent do you have?

Belfast ("bealfawst")!

If you could have any accent, what would you have?

I'm actually quite happy with this one. Maybe the Aussie accent, it's cool.

And of course,

Which is your favorite accent? And are there any you just can't stand?

I like the south Armagh (Ireland) accent, Glasgow accent, Geordie accent and Liverpool accent.

I can't stand the Bangor accent or any snobby Northern Irish accent, they turn the fuckin stomach of me. And (apologies to Ballymena residents on the forum!) I really don't like the Ballymena or north Antrim accents in general lol when Ballymena/Antrim/Cullybackey people get on the train I feel like shooting myself. What is the deal with adding "hi!" to every sentence?

"Ya roond up the cyattle hi?"

"Naw nut yit hi."

"Fairhill, it's a big shopping centre in Ballymena...HEY"

See???

Ok. [/rant]

I really like broad belfast accents. :D

Here's me, weh? Am fokin tellin ye nigh, see the fokin Bealfawst aksint, bit fokin hard on the lugs after a wayle leik! And every orr fokin word is "fok"! Ae leik it tho, fank fok ae don't speak leik iss tho! Mine's iddn as hawrd as iss heer. Fok me.

I have a Brummie accent, and when I say that I mean Adrian Chiles/Jasper Carrott/Ozzy Osbourne sort of Brummie. It's not the broad kind, which people from teh Black Country speak, which is often confused as being the Brummie accent, but it bloody isn't! The Brummie accent is softer and less annoying than a Black Country accent, and easily the best Midland accent.

I wouldn't want to have any other accent, I love the Lancashire, Yorkshire, Scouse and Scottish accents, and am quite good at doing them as well, (Especially the Lancashire accent).

I live in Essex but don't have the accent. I'm not common. :P

When I'm drunk I go slightly Australian as I lived there all last year. It sometimes rears it head when I'm sober but not as much as when I'm drunk.

Irish accents on good looking men are nice, but on ugly ones it's irritating.

Ha:)

You would be right. The irish accent varies so much.

Er where? if you called someone a scanger where i live they would think you are taking the piss.....

I can't stand the Bangor accent or any snobby Northern Irish accent, they turn the fuckin stomach of me. And (apologies to Ballymena residents on the forum!) I really don't like the Ballymena or north Antrim accents in general lol when Ballymena/Antrim/Cullybackey people get on the train I feel like shooting myself. What is the deal with adding "hi!" to every sentence?

[/rant]

thanks not ver nice ::(.. i dont add "hi" to ever sentence so you must not know very many people from here to think that ( neither does / nando / ).. also very stereotypical..

i dont actually know anyone who adds "hi" to the end of every sentence

remind me if i ever meet you to never talk to you (i wouldnt want you to shoot yourself would i?)

I've a Wexford accent :p

Dyson heard me yesterday :heh:

Every Irish accent is bloody hilarious and I love each and every one of them!

even the knacker one:)

WAHHHHH

etc. Goes through my head.

Have any of you ever wondered what it would sound like if you were "doing it" with a lass who is from Wolverhampton and has a thick BC accent?

"Oh, oh, yeah, ah, that is bostin! Don't yow stop doing that! That is bostin!"