NEurope
tapedeck

Examples of developers p...

Examples of developers picking on Wii....We've had Sega doing it recently and people at ID software etc...Just what is their problem?? Is the industry really creatively stiffled by the Wii? You would think that the development costs and user base alone would mean that everyone would be pretty much happy with the little wonder.

Surely the Wii will bring:

An expanded audience meaning more future players.

More opportunity to sell something unique as more people become gamers.

A greater understanding and appreciation of the craft of gaming.

A larger pool of developers in the future due to a vast userbase.

The industry's development side is still full of "hardcore" gamers, computer science graduates etc...And an expanded audience will only further the industry into new avenues. (Similar to films...many genres creating many more fans meaning many more film developers.)

The interactive entertainment industry needs to grow internally and something like the Wii or DS could spark interest in those never associated with gaming. If this industry is to be taken seriousy there needs to be more people in it. Afterall, (when compared to the film industry) gaming is still in it's infancy. I wonder if one day we will see something similar to the Oscars in regards to gaming. Award going to best AI, Best use of frog in spaceship etc...Who knows?!

nintendo will screw over third parties as they always have and so the don t like them.

Nice trolling there blender.

Perhaps they think that the Wii is a kiddy console, not ment for the hardcore gamer. That Nintendo are not taking the hardcore gamer seriously, and they see it as a threat to the hardcore gaming machines. Companies might choose to make casual games instead of hardcore games.

I think devs are irritated by the lack of power.

Let's stick with the example of films. There are many brilliant indy films that have little budgets but very good ideas and yet get overlooked.

And then you have the blockbusters with big budget that are made after the book "How to create a good big budget hollywood movie for Dummies". They have expensive actors, expensive environments, clicheed characters and a predictable ending and everything is huge.

That's how most PC games and now console games are too. But instead of actors and environments there are graphics, an average storyline and controls that are good but nothing new.

Sure most of us like blockbusters and we also like good looking games.

But the Wii forces to think indy, because if one doesn't he should rather develop something for X-Box. It's a lot easier to make impressive graphics there.

So that's my explanation why they comment in such ways about the Wii.

Maybe if the wii wasn't a hish spec xbox the big name devs would make big games.......

Thanks for bringing this up 'Deck cos I was gonna make a thread about this. I agree with you entirely about the fact that the industry still has it's brain in the hardcore headspace rather than trying to expand it's influence. I've said on other threads that the Wii is designed in such a way that it caters for normal everyday people, a group which actually doesn't include most people on this forum. Thing is that it does cater for us as well. So you have 2 categories.

Companies like Sega (stupid comments really) are not seeing that the normal people who have bought the Wii wouldn't have bought ANY system if it was like the other 2. They have to stop thinking about designing games based around power and capacity and think about design. The fact that the guy from Wedbush Morgan says that we need to listen to Sega because they have big, pulling IPs like Sonic just made me laugh because it illustrates my point. Sonic is tired and new gamers would hate it. It's badly designed and still works best in 2D with only 1 button and a D-Pad. It's the perfect example of how Sega can't see past the end of their nose when it comes to designing something new and accessible. As far as I'm concerned it's been a long time since they designed anything of any worth creatively. They just don't understand and think graphical updates of broken games will sell to a wide audience. That's the area of hardcore stupidity buying.

Oh yeah there is an awards ceremony for games. The BAFTAs. They made it "as important as the TV or Movies" last year but it still got no coverage or publicity. If award ceremonies don't get that, whats the point really?

The problem is that the public seem to want a very different gaming machine than the 'hardcore'. The public want something cheap and fun that you can have a quick blast on now and then and is accessible, as well as family friendly and socialable.

The hardcore want amazing graphics (which come at a price), long single player quests (which alienate and put off the general public and are by their nature anti-social and cannot be pickedup and played by anyone) and more complex gameplay.

The reason developers are criticsing the Wii is because it flies in the face of the direction they've been taking for the last 20 years, and if it carries on dominating sales and becomes the market leader by a large margin it will force them to rethink their strategies and their games.

What's more many developers are themselves made up of 'hardcore' gamers and thus they have a vested interest in creating games that interest them.

Absolutely Zechs. The problem is that the industry has forced those 2 camps to form, creating a massive rift in between. The broader appeal consoles need to bridge that so we can get to a place where we have a spectrum between hardoce and casual. Maybe then we can get rid of these stupid terms.

Maybe if the wii wasn't a hish spec xbox the big name devs would make big games.......

That's a bit of genenrous comment there.

I haven't seen anything on the Wii yet that can match some of the best looking Xbox games.

I think its because this time round they can't put things through the port o matic as is. Instead of connecting this cable here and attaching used chewing gum there. They are probably just annoyed about having to lower the quality of things so they just don't bother. But once again we must remember that the Wii hasn't been designed to compete with the ps3 and xbox360. But it is fulfilling its purpose, which is to expand the market.

Good comments guys, I totally understand the angles your drawing and discussing. The Wii is sheer potential for the industry. That shouldn't wane in time. Just like the DS, we are still seeing refreshing software.

It would be horrible for the industry (and, thus developers) to think back in ten years and think "we never even tried...". Granted we are talking businesses here with an aim to make money. But like all businesses risk must be involved in order to succeed. I hope more developers take a risk to design NEW software in the vein of the Touch generations! model. Ideally I'd like to see a games store becoming like a book store. with software offerings ranging from Shakespeare audio books on the DS to Epic RPG's like Oblivion. We are seeing the model already with the VC. Nintendo are offering the whole picture. Hanging it up hoping artists copy. At the moment we see little evidence on the Wii front. Yet look at Ubi Softs new IP's (Spelling master etc)...Hopefully this will broaden the entire industry into not only seeing the next release as an FPS, RPG, MMORPG, SHOOTER, RACER....

Bring on the change. It seems standard that Nintendo should produce something different. But this time it's not shoulder buttons. It's the entire electronics entertainment business model.

ONe comment I do disagree with is that hardcore gamers want amzing grpahics and huge signle player adventures - this is bullshit. I have been playing games since the 56k spectrum and have owned virtually all machines and hadhelds and probably spend more money now then I ever have on games - I HATE the term but I would say I was a "hardcore" gamer - I love games simple - I don't care about the grpahics that much and I love games like 42 games in 1 on the DS as much as I love Zelda (well not AS much); for me a hardcore gamer means they love quality games - not love them because the graphics are good, or because its got Spiderman in, or any other superficial bullshit, but because the game design is good and/or original. In exactly the same way I love films!!!

Anyways, for me its not hardcore 360 and eevryone else Wii - I want the Wii to satisfy ALL gamers needs!!

I admit I'm turning more and more into a "casual gamer" due to work and life commitments taking priority. But I don't mind, as it means when I do play games I can appreciate and enjoy them more!

Plus I don't think that graphics are the be-all end-all. If they're in the appropriate style that complements the gameplay, then it makes the gaming experience even better. :)

Although it's not instantly apparent from some comments on forums, life does indeed have priorities over gaming and I'm loving the way the Wii fits into my "grown-up" (read: working) lifestyle. Granted, I grew up on games and still drool at any news about Nintendo's new titles but the Wii's accessibility is keeping me interested in gaming. I study gaming at university too, so its kind of ironic that I feel more and more alienated from the industry...Maybe I've "over-gamed" myself.. I already suffer from stylusitis from the DS...God knows what's next! :wtf: