NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

MS will soon be releasing a Vista Performance and Reliability Pack to all Vista users, which sounds a little like Service Pack 0.5 to me!

Here is a list of some of the improvements:

* Increased compatibility with many video drivers.

* Improved visual appearance of games with high intensity graphics.

* Improved quality of playback for HD DVD and Blu-ray disks on large monitors.

* Improved reliability for Internet Explorer when some third party toolbars are installed on Vista.

* Improved reliability of systems that were upgraded from XP to Vista.

* Resolves an issue where creating AVI files on Vista may get corrupted.

* Improves the performance of Vista's Memory Manager in specific customer scenarios and prevents some issues which may lead to memory corruption.

Awesome!!!!!

How soon.....?

There's an late Beta version available to download now on the microsoft site, but I'd recommend waiting for the final version to be released via Windows Update, which should be this month.

Yeah lets hope they release a new version of DX10, or better driver support or something!

Seriously, DX10 games run awful at the moment, even on the top end machines.

Indeed even though I have 8600gts WoW locks the whole pc if it tries to load a crap load. Not sure how far it is the drivers and how far it is vista. hmm

MS will soon be releasing a Vista Performance and Reliability Pack to all Vista users, which sounds a little like Service Pack 0.5 to me!

Here is a list of some of the improvements:

* Increased compatibility with many video drivers.

* Improved visual appearance of games with high intensity graphics.

* Improved quality of playback for HD DVD and Blu-ray disks on large monitors.

* Improved reliability for Internet Explorer when some third party toolbars are installed on Vista.

* Improved reliability of systems that were upgraded from XP to Vista.

* Resolves an issue where creating AVI files on Vista may get corrupted.

* Improves the performance of Vista's Memory Manager in specific customer scenarios and prevents some issues which may lead to memory corruption.

Get them now if you like:

* Performance Update - KB938979 - This one has some networking related fixes as well as fixes for some hibernation weirdness, as well as a possible fix for the now-legendary Explorer "estimated time remaining" issue.

* Compatibility Update - KB938194 - This one contains mostly video driver related fixes.

Why doesn't he concentrate on making laptops that don't fry themselves after a year and a half?

QFT, turn on laptop, all is well. 1 hour later, laptop overheats and as a result everything slows down, really ruined a C&C Generals: Zero Hour LAN :shakehead

You know, i was thinking exactly the same thing!

He accuses Vista of not working properly?!?! Im sitting here typing this on an Acer "laptop" that has cracking casing for the 3rd time in 18 months and a defunct battery and charging circuit! It can't leave my desk!

Amazingly enough, the software works fine! Yes, Vista is obviously the pile of shite that's at the cause of my computer problems...

lol, Vista causes problems to Acer laptops that are already renowned for problems. That is about as likely as the Dodo coming back to life in the next 3 minutes.

I've installed the updates and everything seems ok now. My screensaver doesn't take a lifetime to go away anymore, which is nice.

Get them now if you like:

* Performance Update - KB938979 - This one has some networking related fixes as well as fixes for some hibernation weirdness, as well as a possible fix for the now-legendary Explorer "estimated time remaining" issue.

* Compatibility Update - KB938194 - This one contains mostly video driver related fixes.

How do i know if i already have these? Like from a windows update.

Click on windows update in the control panel and then select "View update history".

the latest update replaced my sound card drivers with the wrong ones and i had to re do the proper ones. lucky i saved them in my documents the first time i had to find them. i have been a bit annoyed by vista some of the tings it does is just stupid. on the most part though i like it.

the latest update replaced my sound card drivers with the wrong ones and i had to re do the proper ones. lucky i saved them in my documents the first time i had to find them. i have been a bit annoyed by vista some of the tings it does is just stupid. on the most part though i like it.

I've had a relatively painfree update so far. But then again i dont think pangya should be able to crash my pc...

Everytime i open Media Player on Vista Last FM allways ask's to be allowed. Is there anyway i can stop this?

Everytime i open Media Player on Vista Last FM allways ask's to be allowed. Is there anyway i can stop this?

I get the same when I open itunes.

Is it windows firewall asking you? if so try adding last fm to the exceptions tab in the firewall options.

Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control on or off

As far as I'm aware the only advantage to having it on is that your computer double checks things to make sure you don't contract any malware, but for those of us who don't want a silicon-based Chris Tarrant incessantly asking if it's our final answer it's far better to have off.

Umm my Vista just become unactivated or something... It says I have only 10 days left or something! Anyone else having this problem?

My mom just had the same problem. Kept telling us to enter the serial key. Wouldn't accept the one on the bottom of the laptop, and eventually we could only use internet explorer.

Never had that problem before. If that is the case, then i think the wrong serial number was printed on the laptop.

Just saving a bit of cash ready to get more RAM for my PC, should make Vista run smoother and quicker as i am fed up of it taking forever to mearly load up.

There's a worldwide outage of Windows Genuine Advantage Validation thingy. (Read all about it in Shino's link, shown just two or three posts previous to this one.)

Just paid attention to Windows Media Centre for the first time, it works perfectly with my TV card and gives me Freeview :D Up until using WMC, the only software that would play TV on my PC was the one that came packaged with the card, and it was shite - freezing and lagging every few seconds. This works great though.

There's a worldwide outage of Windows Genuine Advantage Validation thingy. (Read all about it in Shino's link, shown just two or three posts previous to this one.)

They said they would fix it Tuesday and its Tuesday today... I've downloaded 5 updates for Vista... Still isn't activated, what next?

I'm currently downloading updates so maybe today it's sorted. Edit: sorry apparently these 4 updates were published yesterday :/