NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

Ant, it's you're graphics card thats the problem. Which one do you have? It probably doesn't support the required resolution (1366x768). I've read on AVForums that there are programs to force such a resolution but i can't point you in the direction of one that works unfortunately.

The TV isn't going to be any good as a PC monitor anyway, the resolution is too crappy for text on a 32". For a quick comparison, 30" Apple and Dell monitors use a resolution of 2560x1600. Thats almost 4 times the res on a screen thats 2" smaller. It'd be usefull as a cinema display though, i.e. for displaying movies, games, Windows Media Centre etc.

Ant, it's you're graphics card thats the problem. Which one do you have? It probably doesn't support the required resolution (1366x768). I've read on AVForums that there are programs to force such a resolution but i can't point you in the direction of one that works unfortunately.

The TV isn't going to be any good as a PC monitor anyway, the resolution is too crappy for text on a 32". For a quick comparison, 30" Apple and Dell monitors use a resolution of 2560x1600. Thats almost 4 times the res on a screen thats 2" smaller. It'd be usefull as a cinema display though, i.e. for displaying movies, games, Windows Media Centre etc.

Cheers for getting back to me regarding the issue but I got it sorted.

Logical thinking when exciteted is pretty much impossible!

I put the TV into Cinema mode, and it worked in regards to getting it full screen, as for making the resolution better I installed the latest drivers, which upped the resolution a fair bit and the quality is exceptional. I can't remember the exact figure but it was 2560 x ??? something like that.

Thanks for your advice and help any way :)

Did I hear correctly that Vista takes 3 hours to install?

It depends, I got the Dell Driver's and Application Kit which I needed to run through...

It took me from 4:00pm to 1:00am to install, from inital opening of packaging to finally having a Vista PC.

I mean I needed to run alot of tests which took alot of time, and reccomended scans every stage which took alot of time.

Installing the actual Vista software takes 45 Minutes including inital installation to downloading drivers and updates needed on the internet.

It's relatively trouble free, it just requires alot of patience and to be on the safe side alot of scanning.

It depends, I got the Dell Driver's and Application Kit which I needed to run through...

It took me from 4:00pm to 1:00am to install, from inital opening of packaging to finally having a Vista PC.

I mean I needed to run alot of tests which took alot of time, and reccomended scans every stage which took alot of time.

Installing the actual Vista software takes 45 Minutes including inital installation to downloading drivers and updates needed on the internet.

It's relatively trouble free, it just requires alot of patience and to be on the safe side alot of scanning.

That sounds annoying.

Not as annoying as not having a maximise windows button on OS X lol

Not as annoying as not having a maximise windows button on OS X lol

lmao! your still missing the point of Windows- they allow you to have several windows open at once! rather than one thing filling up your screen, several things can-does increase productivity tbh. I always found it annoying having to get windows back to an actual window view and then drag files between folder that way . . .

That sounds annoying.

It wasn't really my PC had alot of software/hardware which needed updates and I had alot of crap on the PC which needed to be cleared.

It was a learning curve and it was worth the time and effort for the end product...

lmao! your still missing the point of Windows- they allow you to have several windows open at once! rather than one thing filling up your screen, several things can-does increase productivity tbh. I always found it annoying having to get windows back to an actual window view and then drag files between folder that way . . .

But you can do that on a PC, except on a PC, you ALSO get to maximise windows for a cleaner, less cluttered look.

Motion you will enjoy Vista, I thought the whole installation process was very exciting actually.

The resources I was given made it as smooth as possible...

That sounds annoying.

Not really, assuming have backed up everything, It as easy as 6 clicks (add an extra click if you haven't backed up). It's one of the most idiot proof thing I've ever seen.

Not really, assuming have backed up everything, It as easy as 6 clicks (add an extra click if you haven't backed up). It's one of the most idiot proof thing I've ever seen.

Deffo It really is hard to go wrong it's very helpful and explains everything very clearly and precisely...

It only took me so long because I had loads of crap on my PC, but it is worth it. Under Vista my PC runs ALOT faster then it did on XP. I frigging love it

Looking forward to it Ant :yay:

(n-europe really needs a thumbs up smilie)

EDIT: Shhh guys, you can't say all that, Takeo won't have a counter argument as to why it's still crap and mac os x is the best thing since sex ;) i kid Takeo, obviously.

Took me around 40 minutes.

Same, only lengthy bit was backing up everything.

Installing Vista didn't take long. Then installing the drivers from the second disc toshiba supplied me with took the same amount of time.

Same, only lengthy bit was backing up everything.

Installing Vista didn't take long. Then installing the drivers from the second disc toshiba supplied me with took the same amount of time.

Seconded Once More.

It took me no time at all.

Then again, it was already fully installed when I received it.

It took me no time at all.

Then again, it was already fully installed when I received it.

You might be onto something their ;)

That sounds annoying.

I don't see how you can have an installation of an OS that is designed to work on billions of hardware combinations at all levels of performance much easier than Vista.

Just put a 256MB USB pen into my PC and i'm using it as extra RAM and it has made a lot of difference already, now i've got over 700MB RAM and everything runs smoother

3 hours to install an OS is pretty quick tbh. The core install doesn't even take an hour and is nearly all automated. The rest of the time is spent finding and installing programs + drivers.

In comparison Sabayon Linux took me 2 weeks to get running properly (wi-fi driver issues + other driver problems)

Vista isn't perfect but Microsoft certainly did they're part in getting it running, it's lazy 3rd parties that are holding things up *cough* Sony *cough* Apple *cough* etc

Just put a 256MB USB pen into my PC and i'm using it as extra RAM and it has made a lot of difference already, now i've got over 700MB RAM and everything runs smoother

I want to check this out but it doesn't want to work.

I have an 2GB XD card and I have a USB adaptor with it, I put that in and followed some guide and found out the 2GB card is only 31MB or something and it has to e at least 256MB.

What the hell?

I want to check this out but it doesn't want to work.

I have an 2GB XD card and I have a USB adaptor with it, I put that in and followed some guide and found out the 2GB card is only 31MB or something and it has to e at least 256MB.

What the hell?

At a guess i'd say either the card or the reader isn't fast enough. ReadyBoost demands really quite high spec cards and the readers have to be just as good. USB sticks are recommended because you only have to worry about the performance of the stick itself and because sticks of the required spec are cheaper than the equivalent memory card.

Looky here: http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/blog/index.php/2006/09/16/readyboost-chart/

Cheers man. I've got enough RAM, 2GB. I just wanted to boost it up to 4. See what difference it would make.