NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

Can I just jump in and say, Jasper I see you're still writing novel-length postings ;) just kidding.

That 'just kidding' was referring to the fact that that's supposed to be an insult? Sorry, but I'm not following...

Vista installs on my mate's Macbook like a whore installing a cock into herself. She will not, however, install on my sublimely non-Machiavellian PC.

This is a dick-slap in the face.

EDIT: Who's Machiavelli?

Vista installs on my mate's Macbook like a whore installing a cock into herself. She will not, however, install on my sublimely non-Machiavellian PC.

This is a dick-slap in the face.

EDIT: Who's Machiavelli?

SOLUTION: GET A MAC!

Thing is, i've never had the blue screen of death since i can remember.

I never have to restart my pc except maybe if the internet cuts off (which is BT's beef), those new mac vs pc ads a bullshit.

I never have to restart my pc except maybe if the internet cuts off (which is BT's beef), those new mac vs pc ads a bullshit.

Really? I can't remember how many times I've had it, admittedly not as many since moving to XP (3 years ago maybe) but on 98 it was seriously all the time. I really can't remember on the Windows 3.1 computer (6 years ago?) but I don't seem to remember it.

P o s t i n S h o r t(1):

Blue screens of death exist, Windows is slow on most computers I know, mac does it's job well. And no, i'm not a macfan, i've been a double-user for years and these are my general impressions on both systems.

Those are the rare occasions. Not that i'm a total mac-fan, but I have to say: every windows computer I know has loading problems (it takes ages), doesn't respond when you're asking it to do a simple task, like trying to connect to a server and keep screens locked on your desktop without a way to delete theml - taskmanager doesn't help since loading up taskmanager takes as long as the window needs to close. I sometimes literally at there for three minutes watching Windows close a damned window.

Not that there are no loading problems on mac, but since I learned to shut down photoshop when I put my laptop te sleep, it starts fast and smooth. Macs are ust fantastic computers in thaat way. Bluie screens of death were like graves to a graveyard for windows 98: ikt occasionally poped up to remind you that it isn't flawless at all. Mikcrosoft has rid of them in the past years, but many things about the OS are still very oddly put together.

Yes, I know, long post again.

(1) I introduced the Post in Short feature for all you lazy readers of my posts! Isn't that nice of old uncle Jasper? Post in Short will be inclujded in every long, epic, novel-like post if I feel like it. All content subject to change. Sorry, guys.

Maybe it's just because i take good care of my pc. Running crap cleaner at least once a fortnight, monthly Defrags and Disk Cleanups. Etc.

I didn't use it alot, but i don't think my 3.1 laptop ever had issues. Though our Windows 95 pc might've had it a few times.

Maybe it's just because i take good care of my pc. Running crap cleaner at least once a fortnight, monthly Defrags and Disk Cleanups. Etc.

I didn't use it alot, but i don't think my 3.1 laptop ever had issues. Though our Windows 95 pc might've had it a few times.

Yeah, if you keep good care of it things wont go wrong, thats why non-computer literate people get a lot of problems with computers and computer-literate people don't. The thing is, with a Mac it will work find whether you keep good care of it or not.

Yes but if macs kick off like they are doing, and more people get them, you'll have non-pc literate people who treat their macs like they do pcs, and then they will screw up.

they wont haha, they just dont do that.

Anyone who has Vista can they tell me or print screen what themes you can have for it?

thanks xx

Yes but if macs kick off like they are doing, and more people get them, you'll have non-pc literate people who treat their macs like they do pcs, and then they will screw up.

Here's the catch: I haven't taken any cleanup actions in the past year and a half on my mac and it still runs smoothly. The point is, Macs are just incredibly good systems.Not taking care of a Mac doesn't really make huge difference, not taking care of your windows every month makes the quality go down. Honestly, i'm serious about that.

Anyone who has Vista can they tell me or print screen what themes you can have for it?

thanks xx

Get your ass on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Visual_styles

Apparantly, it's exactly the same like in XP: one new style and all classics on top. Nothing special, then, but then again, Macs have two types: the blue one and the granite one. Pretty boring stuff.

thanks xx

theres only 2 themes

classic, alaa windows 2000/xp

and areo (to which u can change the colour, the tranperancy settings of it as shown below)

untitledtn9.jpg

Ah cheers for that mate, btw how you liking vista in terms of speed and stability(sp).

And what are games like on it?

Stability? As long as it installs and you have a machine with a 3.0+ PC stat, you'll have zero problems. I'm running it on two machines with completely different set ups and configurations and its perfect.

Games wise? Well, companies are still nailing down drivers so its around 3/4 proformance at the moment. But its still pretty good...

I think i speak for all when i say, how does CSS run...

And HL2 :D

I get 40-60 fps on CS: Source even on my shitty computer all at max settings (only 2X FFAA though) at 1440X900. I expect HL2 to be around the same.

W00T!!! Just ordered my Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade from Ebay for £85 including postage. Be with my Friday :D:D:D

And its not OEM :D

You guys hear about how you can use an upgrade copy for a clean install without an XP serial? ;)

You guys hear about how you can use an upgrade copy for a clean install without an XP serial? ;)

Annnnnd why would you wanna do that? lol

Nope, i orderd home premium oem, once there is more 64bit support ill get ultimate 64. Thats providing the DRMS arnt to bad like i heard you say.

You can! Here's the trick: instal Vista without a Key - it will actiate a 30-day trial period, wich is avaible on the 'upgrade' disk without the need for Windows XP. Than, after you ran this '30 day upgrade' to viste, install Vista on this computer running Vista. You don't need XP for it, so install your Vista with Key on the Vista you were trialing.

Here's a link:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/clean-install-workaround-for-vista-upgrade-discovered/

Nope, i orderd home premium oem, once there is more 64bit support ill get ultimate 64. Thats providing the DRMS arnt to bad like i heard you say.

At the moment it's not a big issue because HD content isn't really mainstream yet. I just plan on using a pc as a heart of a home theater system. So not being able to use digital sound outputs for hd movies and the need to get HDCP equipped hardware puts me down.

As for games, microsoft has stated that it expects 10-15% decrease in game performance compared to xp (it was because of the new windows driver model I think). I don't think that the graphics drivers for vista are fully optimised yet. But the performance will get better when amd and nvidia get their drivers working better.

So Vista will be fine for music?

Cause i can live without downlaoding movies, i just need my music.

So Vista will be fine for music?

Cause i can live without downlaoding movies, i just need my music.

Everything works just fine, the only real problem right now is fiding compatible drivers for Vista AND 64bits.