NEurope

Thought someone might find this useful down the line so here it is:

Smartphone%20Operating%20System%20Complete%20Comparison%20Chart.jpg

Not sure if this deserved its own thread, so I'll post it here: has anyone ever had trouble unlocking the phone lock (not SIM/network lock) of a Samsung Jet (S8000)?

My sister has conveniently forgotten her password for the phone lock. I have read about ten pages on Google now and the solutions are as follows (after removing SIM and memory card):

a) Use this magical reset code: *2767*3855#/////////. Except it's too long for the phone unlock screen, and I get an error saying "unsupported character".

b) Enter boot mode (volume up + lock key + call + hang up) and flash it. But I can't enter boot mode, when I do that it just turns on as normal.

c) This computer doesn't even recognise the phone when I plug it in. I tried to run the PC Studio thing but it broke and demanded to be reinstalled. As far as I can tell, the USB drivers are already installed.

Who designed this piece of ****? No phone unlock code = unusable phone? Well done, Samsung :mad:

Has this happened to anyone before? I'm attempting to reinstall the phone/PC software right now.

EDIT: Ignore this post, I finally got into boot mode! I tried so many things that I don't even know how! Attempting to flash it now.

Edited by EddieColeslaw

I guess perhaps you'd have had to press all those buttons while turning it on thus going straight to the bootloader.

I guess perhaps you'd have had to press all those buttons while turning it on thus going straight to the bootloader.

Someone wrote the wrong button combo on some pages I read. It's something like volume down + camera + hang up key, not what I wrote above :( Anyway, I flashed it and it's working fine now.

HOWEVER...

I turned on my Sony Ericsson G900 (anyone else have this phone?) last night, and it threw up two error/dump file messages on the screen after I input the SIM PIN, and froze. It was on its last legs anyway, but I'll still attempt to fix it. Symbian is just so...buggy.

Thought someone might find this useful down the line so here it is:

Smartphone%20Operating%20System%20Complete%20Comparison%20Chart.jpg

What do they mean "itunes is outdated"? Who/what's better? Actually asking, coz' I'm looking for an alternative...

What do they mean "itunes is outdated"? Who/what's better? Actually asking, coz' I'm looking for an alternative...

I think in terms of the reliance iOS devices have on iTunes to do a lot of things is outdated. Somethings are mostly fixed with iOS V5. But the biggest gripe has been that you have to connect to itunes (currently) to start using an iPhone iPod touch, Macbook Air and iPad while really these sort of thing should just work. Input sim basic set up and go.

Not sure about actually having a replacement for itunes that you can use. it would matter what you use it for. If it's basic music play back there is loads but for syncing music to an iOS device I'm not so sure.

http://alternativeto.net/software/itunes/

iphone 4 owners..... is the 4 installed with gorilla glass? (maybe a silly question but I've never owned an iphone)

Should I get a protective cover? I have gorilla glass on my htc hd2 and I don't want to go back to a crappy dust attracting cover ._.

iPhones have a terrible reputation for smashed screens, so I'm guessing they don't have gorilla glass!

baaaaaaaaaaaaawls. :(

gorilla glass should be put on phones by law if you ask me :p

My htc has survived unbelievable falls and has only 1 very minor scratch...

Also, the glass is properly glued to the screen. It's £70+ to get it fixed, even if the screen is fully working. Unless you want to pull out the entire insides of your phone yourself.

aye I heard that, hmmm. I think hanging it around my neck with unbreakable chain would be an idea..... grr.

What would you guys say would be the best budgetish android phone on the market at the moment? Preferably Pay as You Go. I know we talked a few months ago about the Wildfire and the San Fransisco but as its been quite a while I wanted to check what else is out there now. I mainly want a phone for the usual stuff and then a bit of internet usage. Apps im sure i'll use but the more powerful and power draining ones would be used on my ipod anyway so I wouldnt need the extra power or whatever for them.

HTC Wildfire S and Samsung Galaxy Ace would be nice options right now.

Looking into it I may order myself a Wildfire S next week. Im just checking on how good the Vodafone signal is supposed to be in my village first.

Another quick question. Does anyone have or have used a Windows 7 phone at all and if so are they any good?

I do. I can't recommend it enough :) If it's the LG Optimus 7 you've got your eye on then go for it! That thing is a bargain at the moment!

Actually no, the one I was looking at was the HTC 7 Pro but im still not sure on the Windows stuff. Plus both are more than I was looking to spend on a new phone.

Have you seen the deals doing the rounds on those handsets?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253572

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-e900-optimus-7-smartphone-unlocked-windows-phone-7-16gb-flash-5mp-720p-now-15/975468

Not sure if they help or not? I'm not too clued up on exactly what Android handsets are about at the moment, but why the Wildfire S? It seems a bit low-spec for an Android handset to me, especially given the Orange San Fran was available with better specs for less money 12 months ago.

Well im not massively bothered about specs as im just looking for a budget one, especially as the more taxing apps will be used on my ipod touch instead and to be honest so far ive just liked the way the Wildfire S looks. Im not totally set that its the one i'll be getting but its one I like. Thanks for those links to the Windows ones. At the moment i'll probably pass on those as I just dont like the Windows interface for phones.

Im still trying to keep my eye out for any deals on some of the more powerful phones though, maybe i'll get lucky and one will come down in price.

I've always wanted one of those type of phones but I've yet to find one that's really good.

I've always wanted one of those type of phones but I've yet to find one that's really good.

Same, I think ones with keyboard would be better for me, yet the pull-out part always seems too flimsy for me. One drunken night I'd snap the hinges and so I went for a single pieced phone instead.

So despite wanting a HTC 7 Pro badly I decided to wait for the mobile showdown later this year.

iPhone 5, new Nexus phone and Mango phones for WP7.

Gonna be crazy.

The best part is if none of those internet me then I'll just get the reduced HTC 7 Pro which will still run Mango.

I never did manage to get the new phone I was talking about earlier in the thread but hopefully should be getting one tomorrow.

At the moment it's still going to be between the Wildfire S and the Samsung Galaxy Ace but I could use some last minute help on which to get.

Opinions?