NEurope

My 5th Gen iPod has decided to not work properly, it either refuses to turn on showing the dead iPod symbol or takes ages to find a song or freeze. So I'm thinking of buying an iPhone, basically because for the price of a Touch it can do a lot more. Only concerns for me are that I'm currently on Pay as You Go of which I rarely spend more than a tenner a month. So a £35-£50 contract is a big step up, just after opinions from other people on what they pay a month and whether there are deals to be had.

My 5th Gen iPod has decided to not work properly, it either refuses to turn on showing the dead iPod symbol or takes ages to find a song or freeze. So I'm thinking of buying an iPhone, basically because for the price of a Touch it can do a lot more. Only concerns for me are that I'm currently on Pay as You Go of which I rarely spend more than a tenner a month. So a £35-£50 contract is a big step up, just after opinions from other people on what they pay a month and whether there are deals to be had.

why are you even considering a £35pm contract when you only spend £10pm normally..

I made that mistake and really regretted it

I pay £20 a month, but it really is more than I need. The main thing I use is the internet. Still, my first thought was a £35 a month contract so I'm really glad that I didn't go with that.

If you want a decent, but cheap, touch screen phone with good music, internet (via Opera and/or Skyfire) and Sat Nav then I would recommend the Nokia 5800. For a price to quality ratio, it really is one of the best you can get.

I pay £20 a month, but it really is more than I need. The main thing I use is the internet. Still, my first thought was a £35 a month contract so I'm really glad that I didn't go with that.

If you want a decent, but cheap, touch screen phone with good music, internet (via Opera and/or Skyfire) and Sat Nav then I would recommend the Nokia 5800. For a price to quality ratio, it really is one of the best you can get.

I'd agree with that. I love my 5800 :)

why are you even considering a £35pm contract when you only spend £10pm normally..

I made that mistake and really regretted it

Because I'd probably use more internet based features if my phone could handle it. Plus on my current pay as you go, I limit myself to only use my phone when I need it, I'm constantly checking my credit to make sure I have enough to make an important phone call. etc. So I would probably use more, but it's also the reason why I haven't lept at the opportunity because it's a big step up. Hence my 'wheeling and dealing' approach looking for the best offer.

For £20 I get unlimited internet, 200 minutes and unlimited texts (as well as unlimited calls to phones on the same network).

You probably won't need more than that.

For £20 I get unlimited internet, 200 minutes and unlimited texts (as well as unlimited calls to phones on the same network).

You probably won't need more than that.

Very true, but I'm really not looking at other phones. It's more about replacing the iPod and not forking out £200 on a Touch, when I can spend the same initially and get more features.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for your suggestion because it's helping way up whether it's a good idea.

Edited by Ramar

Very true, but I'm really not looking at other phones. It's more about replacing the iPod and not forking out £200 on a Touch, when I can spend the same initially and get more features.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for your suggestion because it's helping way up whether it's a good idea.

Why does it have to be an iPod? :blush:

Because I've been buying music on iTunes (along with the odd TV programme) for years so quite a bit is DRM locked and will only work on an iPod. It's the convenience of sticking with what I know. :)

Because I've been buying music on iTunes (along with the odd TV programme) for years so quite a bit is DRM locked and will only work on an iPod. It's the convenience of sticking with what I know. :)

you can pay like 15p a track to free yourself of the shackles thats what I did...and now buy my music through amazon mp3 anyhow.

you can pay like 15p a track to free yourself of the shackles thats what I did...and now buy my music through amazon mp3 anyhow.

If you've bought thousands of songs over the years, that could run to a lot of money. For me anyway, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper just to get a new iPod. There's also the fact I like using iTunes and prefer it to anything else.

Each to their own of course.

There are other ways to remove the DRM.

Also, can't you sync iTunes with other external memory sources?

If you've bought thousands of songs over the years, that could run to a lot of money. For me anyway, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper just to get a new iPod. There's also the fact I like using iTunes and prefer it to anything else.

Each to their own of course.

yeah I guess it cost me £30 to unlock them all...Now I use media monkey to sync my songs to my phone and I have gpodder on that which updates all my podcasts automatically when I walk in the front door every night...So I've found solutions that are just as good as itunes, they are out there to be found despite what apple may make you think!

yeah I guess it cost me £30 to unlock them all...Now I use media monkey to sync my songs to my phone and I have gpodder on that which updates all my podcasts automatically when I walk in the front door every night...So I've found solutions that are just as good as itunes, they are out there to be found despite what apple may make you think!

Add a couple of zeroes on to your figure and you get close to the amount it would cost for me to upgrade them all :heh:

Add a couple of zeroes on to your figure and you get close to the amount it would cost for me to upgrade them all :heh:

go on and find out how much just for the crack

5800 ftw, also there's the navi software for free (forever) on the nokia store! wooo. I freakin' love my 5800.

Because I'd probably use more internet based features if my phone could handle it. Plus on my current pay as you go, I limit myself to only use my phone when I need it, I'm constantly checking my credit to make sure I have enough to make an important phone call. etc. So I would probably use more, but it's also the reason why I haven't lept at the opportunity because it's a big step up. Hence my 'wheeling and dealing' approach looking for the best offer.

You'll maybe find you don't use as much as you expect you will, and go out and get an expensive contract (that you are stuck to for however long) and end up regretting it...

I bought my phone (5800) outright for 200, and have a simplicity contract, I advise that method if you have the money to spare for whatever phone you want.

Thinking of getting the HTC HD2 on a £25 pm contract, but have to pay £90 for the phone on top. 18 months on virgin.

500mins, unlimited texts, unlimited internet.

It's the best deal I can find for it.

Anyone else got this phone? It's got great reviews, the only problem everyone seems to have with it is Winmo 6.5, but theres still speculation to whether it will be upgradable to winmo 7 in the future...

Another thing, HTC are set to unveil some android phones tomorrow, and apparently one is near enough the same as the HD2, but on android.

But surely these wont be available until later on in the year?

Thinking of getting the HTC HD2 on a £25 pm contract, but have to pay £90 for the phone on top. 18 months on virgin.

Anyone else got this phone? It's got great reviews, the only problem everyone seems to have with it is Winmo 6.5, but theres still speculation to whether it will be upgradable to winmo 7 in the future...

Another thing, HTC are set to unveil some android phones tomorrow, and apparently one is near enough the same as the HD2, but on android.

My Mate has it and he's since gotten rid of it because of som many problems he had with it. Obviously it could have easily been just a problem with his unit but he had big problems with the Touch screen, Camera and the OS.

HTC have the Nexus One and Bravo due out over here in the next couple of months. Both run similar hardware to the HD2.

There's quite a list of handsets coming before the summer. I'd at least wait a couple of days until Mobile World Congress is over as there's quite a few handset unveilings taking place for Q1 and Q2 this year.

HTC have the Nexus One and Bravo due out over here in the next couple of months. Both run similar hardware to the HD2.

There's quite a list of handsets coming before the summer. I'd at least wait a couple of days until Mobile World Congress is over as there's quite a few handset unveilings taking place for Q1 and Q2 this year.

Yeah I know, it's just my contract ends 15th march, and don't really be wanting to wait around for ages.

Gahhhh decisions....

HTC Legend

htc-legend-540x334.jpg?1266319659

Out UK at the beginning of April (Vodafone), and is an updated Hero. The Hero will get the 2.1 update (same OS as this and the Desire) in March.

HTC Desire

htc-desire-540x334.jpg

The Nexus One in a new shell, with the fantastic Sense UI.

Edit: Out 26th March in UK (T-Mobile).

HTC HD Mini

htc-hd-mini-540x334.jpg

Smaller HTC HD2, out later in the year.

There's also a Windows 7 phone due out later in the year.

Edit: As for the HD2. my workmate says that his crashes a lot. He's had it about two weeks.

Edited by Cube

Everyone seems to have a mate with a faulty HD2 haha

I have the HTC HD2 and it work perfectly fine. The only problem I have with it is that the camera program doesn't always load but it loads more times than not. A simple closing it down and opening it back up does the trick. Also I would suggest you going into a store to see and hold one as some people think its a tad too big - I don't.

I heard a lot about people not liking the winmo os but (I might be wrong) if you are not a hardcore mobile fanatic then it won't bother you at all. My old phone was a symbian OS (N96) so I don't have much experience to comment on different OS'.

Yeah I think the phone you are talking about is a HTC Bravo. Its basically a HD2 except andriod instead of winmo as you already know but I think its releasing in America in april first but I'm not 100% so...

I think they way things are going now a free window 7 upgrade for the HD2 seems very likely but nothing is official yet.

Really at the end of the day, if you like the look and sound of the phone then definitly go for it. What I would advise you to do is to order it online if you can that way you will have 14 days from the date you made the order to return the handset and cancel the contract if you are not happy with it.

Simples.

HTC Legend

htc-legend-540x334.jpg?1266319659

Out UK at the beginning of April (Vodafone), and is an updated Hero. The Hero will get the 2.1 update (same OS as this and the Desire) in March.

HTC Desire

htc-desire-540x334.jpg

The Nexus One in a new shell, with the fantastic Sense UI.

Edit: Out 26th March in UK (T-Mobile).

HTC HD Mini

htc-hd-mini-540x334.jpg

Smaller HTC HD2, out later in the year.

There's also a Windows 7 phone due out later in the year.

Edit: As for the HD2. my workmate says that his crashes a lot. He's had it about two weeks.

Bah, I want a Droid Phone they look so bloody nice, I dunno why but lately just reading up on stuff about Android phones they just sound fuck loads better than what's lot better than Iphone anyway.

Am looknig towards a Motorola Droid (milestone) but non of the new stuff (droid, nexus etc) arn't coming to aus any time soon, I can get a milestone online Sim free, not a bad price, but it might have to wait, can't be spending shit loads of money...plus I want one..I dunno if i'll use it though..not much of a phone user, plus no one to phone, cept Girlfriend..who i'm living with so don't need the phone to talk to her.

Everyone seems to have a mate with a faulty HD2 haha

I have the HTC HD2 and it work perfectly fine. The only problem I have with it is that the camera program doesn't always load but it loads more times than not. A simple closing it down and opening it back up does the trick. Also I would suggest you going into a store to see and hold one as some people think its a tad too big - I don't.

I heard a lot about people not liking the winmo os but (I might be wrong) if you are not a hardcore mobile fanatic then it won't bother you at all. My old phone was a symbian OS (N96) so I don't have much experience to comment on different OS'.

Yeah I think the phone you are talking about is a HTC Bravo. Its basically a HD2 except andriod instead of winmo as you already know but I think its releasing in America in april first but I'm not 100% so...

I think they way things are going now a free window 7 upgrade for the HD2 seems very likely but nothing is official yet.

Really at the end of the day, if you like the look and sound of the phone then definitly go for it. What I would advise you to do is to order it online if you can that way you will have 14 days from the date you made the order to return the handset and cancel the contract if you are not happy with it.

Simples.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for that :D

I think I'm gunna go for it, contract doesn't end until march 15th so I still have time to decide and stuff, but it looks like I'm gunna go for it, im a sucker for big screens and pretty visuals :)