NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

One of those lucky people who eat everything but put on nothing?

"Being thin doesn't automatically mean you're not fat"

Are you fat on the inside?

Don’t you just hate those lucky people who eat like there is no tomorrow and do no exercise but still manage to stay slim? Well, new research suggests that they may not be so lucky after all. Scientists now believe that fat surrounding vital organs such as the heart and liver could be just as dangerous as the external build-ups of blubber that we are more familiar with.

Some people only have to look at a piece of cake to add pounds to their waistline, while others can eat what they want and not gain an ounce. On the outside, they look healthy and most overweight people would give anything to be blessed with such a forgiving metabolism.

However, new research suggests that the inside counts as much as the outside. Scientists at Imperial College London have found that the build up of internal fat around the body’s organs – such as the heart, liver and pancreas – is as much of a threat to our health as external fat, meaning that, even though they don’t look it, some lithe people may actually be classed as ‘fat’.

Do you need to gain weight?

Dr Jimmy Bell, professor of molecular imaging at Imperial College, told The Seattle Times: “Being thin doesn’t automatically mean you’re not fat.†Dr Bell, along with his team, have spent 13 years doing MRI scans on almost 800 people to formulate ‘fat-maps’ which show where the stores of fat are located in their bodies.

The results of the scans showed that people who keep their weight low by regulating their diet but not by doing regular exercise are much more likely to have large stores of internal fat around their organs. Dr Bell warns that this could lead thin people to wrongly assume that, because they are not overweight or obese, they are therefore perfectly healthy.

Is your weight a health risk?

Scientists are also concerned that thin people may presume that they are not as vulnerable to conditions such as diabetes and heart disease. The research done by Dr Bell’s team shows that even thin people can have high levels of fatty deposits inside their body and are therefore at risk of developing one of these chronic conditions.

The results of the scans carried out by Dr Bell’s team showed that 60% of men who took part had high levels of internal fat, despite the fact that they also had a normal body mass index (BMI) score. In women, the figure was 45%. Dr Bell also revealed that some of them work as professional models.

What is your BMI?

Dr Bell refers to these people as “TOFIs†- “thin outside, fat insideâ€, and defines them as people who eat too much fatty and sugary food and do not do enough exercise to burn it all off. Internal fat can, like external fat, be burned off through exercise, and health experts advise adults to do at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise three times a week to ward off obesity.

Dr Bell said: “If you want to look thin, then maybe dieting is enough. But if you want to actually be healthy, then exercise has to be an important component of your lifestyle.â€

With the vast number of newspaper articles and news reports focusing mainly on the UK’s obesity epidemic, Dr Bell and his team have shown that being thin does not mean that you are necessarily healthy. “The whole concept of being fat needs to be redefinedâ€, he said.

http://health.uk.msn.com/healthencyclopaedia/features/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5248959

Personally, I am one of those people, and this article just kind of made me feel rather bad about myself! I guess it makes sense, but it's...weird! It's a bit worrying too, makes me wanna lay off the beer and do a bit more excercise. Of course, I probably won't, far too lazy for that :heh:

Meh, I eat and drink way more than someone my size should be able to. I exercise every now and then, not so much now cuz I ain't in training anymore but I do enough. My super metabolism does the rest.

HAHA, shame on you thin people who eat bucket loads and still don't get fat!!!

I hate these kinda people (not really, but ya know what I mean) cos when I'm out with my mates, some of them are exactly these types: eat LOADS but are as thin as sticks. Me on the other hand, eats alot but it actually shows if I eat too much unhealthy food.....and I do regular exercise, go to the gym and play a bit of footy.

I'm not fat FAT, but if I eat alot of snacky foods, it would definitely show later on.

hahaha ;)

I eat loads and don't get fat. But then I do walk everywhere and keep myself active. I get more than the 30 minutes a day the BHF suggest.

i used to be a skinny wee thing (under 8 stone) who could eat what she wanted and stuff.. then one summer happened ( bad things happened) and i started eating and eating and eating.. and put on 2 stone :S..

.. im trying to loose it this summer

im not the tallest person in the world so the extra weight shows on me :S

I eat masses of food and stay thin, its great, but then sometimes i on a bit and by the next day its gone again. Its wierd!

But my friend all get pissed with me because their there watching what they eat while i'm stuffing my face with big macs.

I eat whatever i hell i want. The reason im not fat is because i skate about 3 to 7 hours a day.

I'm one of those people with a metabolism like that.I eat a hell of a lot and gain nothing.But then again I walk for atleast an hour everyday.I walked for over 3 hours in Monday,during my lunch break I wander about my area for about an hour aswell.

I say I have nothing to be worried about.I like it at times where people see the vast amount I eat and don't gain anything and they get paranoid watching what they eat.

i was once 8 1/2 stone, then i was put on medication which made me gain weight, i put on 2 1/2 stone and stayed there untill the medication was done, once i was off it i stoped eating all together and lost 2 stone ^_^ now i'm 9 stone...

Im thin due to high metabolism...

Had the BMI test done about 2 months ago expecting it to state:

"Put some weight on you fecking skeleton"

Imagine my surprise when I got a score that equated to perfect. w00t.

I eat like shitloads of chocolate and sweets, and I've always been really thin.

I've been known to bring a "bakery" to school for break time.

Lol I must be dying on the inside.

*Ingests arscenic*

Goodbye cruel world!

Science community in 'fat on your internal organs not good' non shocker.

Seriously though, I am blessed with a boyish metabolism that eats carbs and shits victory. It's awesome. Pretty sure I don't have fatto's innards though- I'm too beautiful :p

Science community in 'fat on your internal organs not good' non shocker.

Seriously though, I am blessed with a boyish metabolism that eats carbs and shits victory.

That has to one of the greatest things I have ever heard.

Im quite thin, but thats because I dont eat much.

But thats because there is never any food in my house, and Im always hungry :(

When Im at someone elses house, I must come off as such a pig, because I eat everything :D

My metabolism is slow and i'm fat. Not majorly fat, but i'm fat.

Most (if not all) the people i know can eat bucket loads of food and junk and don't put on an ounce.

I used to be like that, up until recently.

I now fear that time has caught up with me, so i best watch it. ;)

I wouldn't say I eat very healthily and I don't get loads of exercise....

But I'm still skinny as fuck. :grin:

Are you fat on the inside?

Don’t you just hate those lucky people who eat like there is no tomorrow and do no exercise but still manage to stay slim? Well, new research suggests that they may not be so lucky after all. Scientists now believe that fat surrounding vital organs such as the heart and liver could be just as dangerous as the external build-ups of blubber that we are more familiar with.

Blah blah crap crap crap crap

I never listen to these people.

I don't know how to classify myself as apparently i have an eating disorder, however i deny this frivolously which probably means i do. But i dont recognise it or whatever. maybe I'm delusional.

I'd say im fat though

lucky bastards who can eat what they want.

How much wieght I put on is completely propoortional to how much excersis I'm doing, I'll go up to 13.5 stone when not doing any a week, but drop to 12 fairly quickly as soon as I start doing it regularly. Just means I put on loads of weight when i'm not at uni, and drop it off when i get back every term.

I look slim and healthy but I am one unfit muppet. I have no stamina!

That's not something you should admit to.

Sign in to follow this