NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2007/2008

Wenger will probably be going "Show me the money" to Real for Reyes.

Hope they decide to sign him after all and for £12m at least..

Wenger will probably be going "Show me the money" to Real for Reyes.

Hope they decide to sign him after all and for £12m at least..

They've already said they don't want him, i don't think those 2 goals will change anything to be honest. He showed how immature he still can be when he picked up a booking for taking someone down after he thought he had been fouled.

yep pretty much the same ritual, except for the curry, if I'm not going to a game replace that with a bit of Jeff on Soccer Saturday.

As for Soccer AM Ralf Little might not be that bad. Soccer AM could be in it's last season anyway, it is made by Lovejoy's production and their contract with sky expires this season!

Some more transfer news about Pompey:

Great news for us, we seem to be out and about for a lot of midfielders got Muntari and now this would tie in with rumours that Gary O'Neil is off to Middlesborough as part of deal for Yakubu. Personally don't want that to happen GON is so tireless and loyal and Yakubu is just such a rebel...

Our midfield could be awesome on paper next season:

Muntari Diarra Mendes Taylor/Krancjar

Diarra is a great player man. trust he will be a great addition, Rafa Benitez never gave him a chance which was a mistake if you ask me.

also ant-shimmin. I don't think the money is really there. all this £40m+ is pure talk. reports are that Liverpool want Malouda but will only offer £10m while chelsea are offering £14m. Again Liverpool will miss out on genuine quality because they won't spend big.

The Money is there I assure you, just because we haven't bought anyone yet doesn't mean we won't.

Benitez is a man who if he doesn't get what he wants he will leave in a heart beat, now Alonso, Gerrard, Carragher (Those two are a given i suppose) Sissoko, Finnan and Reina have all signed contracts. If any one of those had an inkling that we wouldn't be buying anyone and Benz was un-happy I assure you those contracts would not be signed.

As Gillette said we are in stage two which is all about buying players, now no matter what anyone says the Transfer Window doesn't open till July. We can buy them now, but they won't be here till July so what the hecks the point in announcing it now. Liverpool doesn't work that way, they have always been cloak and dagger.

As for the money isn't there, it is we just haven't spent it yet.

As Gillette said, we are refusing to panic buy...

Thing that would worry me about Liverpool is that waiting too long, after making your interest for a player public - can be fatal. It has happened to us in the past and made us miss out on players who would of made our team so much stronger and as a result we have gone into campaigns alot weaker, then we would of been.

I really cant see what top class talent Liverpool can sign now, I guess time will tell.

I agree with this. When you usually go through the process of buying players, it is usually like a game of tug of war, and can take up to months to sign a single player.

Team A makes bid.

Team B refuses to sell player.

Player declares love for Team B, but says a move to England would be nice.

Team B reiterates refusal to sell player.

Team A makes another bid.

Player declares love for Team A.

Team B wants more money.

Team A make huge bid.

Player leaves, Team B get fat cash.

Thing that would worry me about Liverpool is that waiting too long, after making your interest for a player public - can be fatal. It has happened to us in the past and made us miss out on players who would of made our team so much stronger and as a result we have gone into campaigns alot weaker, then we would of been.

I really cant see what top class talent Liverpool can sign now, I guess time will tell.

We never make our interest in players public, maybe little quotes here or there but nothing explicit.

I assure you Rafa will get who he wants...Wether he wants Eto'o, Owen, Torres the names that people are hammering about is another question.

Liverpool can/will sign Top Class talent, they just haven't done or announced it yet.

I agree with this. When you usually go through the process of buying players, it is usually like a game of tug of war, and can take up to months to sign a single player.

Team A makes bid.

Team B refuses to sell player.

Player declares love for Team B, but says a move to England would be nice.

Team B reiterates refusal to sell player.

Team A makes another bid.

Player declares love for Team A.

Team B wants more money.

Team A make huge bid.

Player leaves, Team B get fat cash.

Thats why everybody hates Rick Fucking Parry....

The Money is there I assure you, just because we haven't bought anyone yet doesn't mean we won't.

Benitez is a man who if he doesn't get what he wants he will leave in a heart beat, now Alonso, Gerrard, Carragher (Those two are a given i suppose) Sissoko, Finnan and Reina have all signed contracts. If any one of those had an inkling that we wouldn't be buying anyone and Benz was un-happy I assure you those contracts would not be signed.

As Gillette said we are in stage two which is all about buying players, now no matter what anyone says the Transfer Window doesn't open till July. We can buy them now, but they won't be here till July so what the hecks the point in announcing it now. Liverpool doesn't work that way, they have always been cloak and dagger.

As for the money isn't there, it is we just haven't spent it yet.

As Gillette said, we are refusing to panic buy...

I don't think the money is there in the amounts some people seem to think. I don't think Hicks and Gillette are just going to throw money down now, they want to see the stadium built get some money in etc... rack in some of the TV revenue first...Don't see them speculating to accumalate to be honest...

Thats why everybody hates Rick Fucking Parry....

Hehe. :)

It can be a bit of a lengthy process though, to be honest. But, first of all, you need to show interest in other players. If there's no interest there, then the players in question are immediately going to be put off such a move. They need an ego boost. "such and such clubs wants me, heyhey."

I don't think the money is there in the amounts some people seem to think. I don't think Hicks and Gillette are just going to throw money down now, they want to see the stadium built get some money in etc... rack in some of the TV revenue first...Don't see them speculating to accumalate to be honest...

They are not going to do a Chelsea which some people expect.

We aren't going to pay over the odds for players.

Example: According to some person on http://www.ynwa.tv we have been in talking with Torres and his agent, everything has been brilliant, however they want £40 Million or something stupid like that. We won't go further then £25 Million....Which In my opinion Is perfectly sound.

I assure you once more Rafa will get his players....The Media are just playing upon fans fears.

We aren't going to pay over the odds for players.

That's great from the club's financial point of view, but sometimes the only way to get a certain player to a club is to pay a stupid amount of money. It's a risk, but sometimes there really is no other way. Wayne Rooney from Everton to United is a good example of this.

Hehe. :)

It can be a bit of a lengthy process though, to be honest. But, first of all, you need to show interest in other players. If there's no interest there, then the players in question are immediately going to be put off such a move. They need an ego boost. "such and such clubs wants me, heyhey."

Once you show interest thats when the price the fans demand goes sky high..

A Less Publicised transfer the cheaper the price. The happier the two parties.

That's great from the club's financial point of view, but sometimes the only way to get a certain player to a club is to pay a stupid amount of money. It's a risk, but sometimes there really is no other way. Wayne Rooney from Everton to United is a good example of this.

Yeah but Wayne Roone would pay that £30 million within his first season, through shirt sales and what not.

Wayne Rooney is proven English Premiership Quality..

Fernando Torres isn't...

Don't get me wrong I think they will pay a high price for players, but only what they think is right.

We must not be bullied about because of our new found riches...Tom and George will pay what they think is right...

Malouda, Alves, Torres, Eto, Owen, Tevez etc. etc.

Liverpool's "supposed" interest in all these players and more has been made public. Seeing as all these players would be wanted by nearly every top club in europe, it makes Liverpools chances of getting them slimmer as other interested clubs will move in faster.

If Liverpool want to win the league, they need to sign at least 3 players. That is all im saying :)

Benitez hasn't come out saying he wants any of those players..

Give me quotes

It's a classic example of the press 2+2=5. I do agree in that aspect we do need 3 players to win the league...

My England Fans pack finally came today!

DSC00760.jpg

Badge, Pen, Membership card and a wicked book all about England past and present:

DSC00759.jpg

Tickets for Germany on Pre-sale next week :)

My England Fans pack finally came today!

DSC00760.jpg

Badge, Pen, Membership card and a wicked book all about England past and present:

DSC00759.jpg

Tickets for Germany on Pre-sale next week :)

I thought mine had come this morning as well, turns out it was just the England fans magazine, needless to say I was a little disappointed!

Arsenal Looking for a YNWA Type Song...

...I know the atmosphere is bad but do you think ANY of the proposed songs would work.

A healthy debate on the onlinegooner forum has led to this potential shortlist to do for Ashburton Grove what ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ does for Anfield

A while back – late last year, we had this exclusive and this response raising the idea of an Arsenal anthem to give our new stadium an equivalent to the stirring ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ sung by Liverpool fans.

Then in April, I revived the idea on this thread on the onlinegooner forum. A decent debate has continued for a couple of months and now I am putting forward a provisional shortlist. Assuming no major objections (I’ll allow a week for appeals or something wonderful that no-one’s thought of), these will go to a referendum vote which I hope other Arsenal sites will link to so we can have a pretty comprehensive election of a favoured tune to approach the club with – through redaction.

For all the doom-mongers out there the idea is that we persuade the club to play the song over the PA system before the teams come out, initially putting the words on the videoscreens. It will take a while to catch on, but come the day of a big, big game, the hope is that a majority of the crowd will add their voices and create an atmosphere akin to that at Anfield before, for example, their big European games over the last three seasons against the likes of Chelsea and Barcelona. A lot of people are quite negative about the possibilities of this taking off, but my way of thinking is that if 10,000 people will sing it (realistically, the redsection get into it and it gradually spreads), in time, the majority of the crowd will join in if they are sufficiently moved/inspired. It will take a couple of seasons to really take hold, but if we persevere, we could have something really special. This is the first part of an initiative here at onlinegooner to improve matchday atmosphere at the new stadium.

The criteria that I first mooted was that the song should have the following qualities…

Should be stirring enough to send shivers down the back of your neck

Therefore, not too fast or poppy

Capability for a good sing-along

Therefore, already fairly familiar to many in its own right

Probably unlikely to have been written since 1980 due to the average age of the Arsenal crowd

Embodying the spirit of Arsenal or the relationship between the team and fans in the lyrics in some way

Not have strong associations with another club for any reason.

I should clarify that this is not ‘run out’ music but something to build up the atmosphere before the players walk out, finishing when they are lined up in the tunnel.

At this point, I’ll quote a forum posting on the subject from ‘singup4theArse’, just to echo the above… “If you want to get an anthem going you have to find the kind of song – that’s old enough for everyone to identify with. So out go all the hits of the last decade . Blue moon/You’ll Never Walk Alone/Keep Right On/Dehlila/Bubbles all have one thing in common. They are old songs. They've stood the test of time; they are slightly absurd and naff in their own way and I suspect that’s what's made them 'catchy' and later, popular with fans. Having said that the song also has to have broad appeal. I can't see the average Cypriot/Black/Irish/Asian kid singing 'Knees Up Mother Brown'.”

So here is the proposed shortlist, in alphabetical order

Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon and Garfunkel)

Can’t Help Falling In Love With You (Elvis Presley)

Danny Boy (Traditional)

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (The Hollies)

I Only Have Eyes For You (Various)

Lean On Me (Bill Withers)

Over The Rainbow (Judy Garland)

Streets of London (Ralph McTell)

The Impossible Dream (Andy Williams)

The following fitted the criteria, but there was not quite enough enthusiasm for them…

Hangbags And Gladrags (Rod Stewart)

Let It Be (The Beatles)

My Way (Frank Sinatra)

The Green Green Grass Of Home (Tom Jones)

The Wonder Of You (Elvis Presley)

You've Lost That Lovin’ Feeling (Righteous Brothers)

There have been many other suggestions, which haven’t made the shortlist, for reasons such as being…

Too jaunty/fast/poppy (popular choice ‘Maybe It’s Because I’m A Londoner falls into this trap)

Already an established Arsenal song/chant – (eg Good Old Arsenal) which is not what we are trying to achieve here – those have been around for long enough already and have not been naturally adopted by the crowd

Too recent (eg Angels by Robbie Williams)

Strong connections with another club (eg Wonderwall)

Already used by another club

Too obscure

Too strong a specific association with one particular country/culture (okay, you could argue Danny Boy should be disqualified for this, but the song was not written with Ireland in mind, simply adopted by them and the sheer strength of positive feedback on the forum for this seems to suggest that people see the song as more than representing the Emerald Isle).

For what it’s worth, the feedback so far has ‘The Impossible Dream’ as the most popular choice (although some argue it’s a bit too long and slow to really pick up), however, when we post the referendum (in a week’s time, as the next onlinegooner referendum) the numbers voting will be far greater than those who have so far discussed it on the forum, as I will be contacting other Arsenal websites to ask them to mention the vote on their own sites and link to it. Then we’ll have a truly democratic vote of Arsenal fans determining which ‘anthem’ we will approach the club to try.

As for the referendum – I think we have the capability of more than five choices, but if not, I’ll take subsequent forum postings (under the further discussion section) as the determining factor. I’ll also consider any appeals regarding what is and isn’t on the shortlist, if they are made with strong conviction by enough posters. The shortlist is not set in stone, but an attempt at pulling together the two months of debate on the forum since the original posting discussing this idea. Watch this space and I will post another piece next week once the final vote has gone live.

http://www.onlinegooner.com/editorial/index.php?id=60

I don't think Branscombe from the Echo has any reason too lie when talking about liverpool's spending policy this summer. Sources will always leak information out of the club. Of course Gillette and Hicks are gonna say everything is okay in public as they have too.

Yes there is money but not money for the likes of Eto'o. £30m+ is out of liverpool's budget. If you go on the example of Malouda who will probably go Chelsea because they are ready to offer £4m more than liverpool things don't look too great.

I don't think those sort of things would work, I mean it wasn't a huge comittee that made the Celtic and Liverpool fans pick up YNWA or the West Ham fans with I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, it's just something that happens :)

but good luck to them, because the atmosphere that you get at Celtic Park on European nights when the whole stadium is belting out YNWA is just amazing

oh and Ant we likely to see the new Liverpool stadium pics today?

I don't think Branscombe from the Echo has any reason too lie when talking about liverpool's spending policy this summer. Sources will always leak information out of the club. Of course Gillette and Hicks are gonna say everything is okay in public as they have too..

Bascombe has lost all contacts with the club since the new guys came in.

It's just a petty little swipe, believe me it's just paper talk.

Bascombe did get his information off Dave Usher on TLW, but he had a fall out with Bascombe.

Gillette and Hicks: We start getting a new stadium together

They have done, to dramatic fucking effect I might add

Gillette and Hicks: We will offer players contracts

They Have Done, succesfully

Gillette and Hicks: Phase two the process of signing players

Under Way

I have every confidence they will get what Rafa wants.

Yes there is money but not money for the likes of Eto'o. £30m+ is out of liverpool's budget. If you go on the example of Malouda who will probably go Chelsea because they are ready to offer £4m more than liverpool things don't look too great.

Ever thought that Rafa might not want Eto'o?

Rafa hasn't come out and said he wants Eto'o it's paper talk, besides I do think £30 million is way too much a risk for a foreign striker, a risk Rafa doesn't want to take, and neither does George and Tom.

Heres one for you, Owen for £9 Million, Eto'o for £30 million.

Owen all the time....

As for Malouda, If Rafa really wants him he will get him.

oh and Ant we likely to see the new Liverpool stadium pics today?

The plans went forward to the council today as far as I know. Hence the "prediction" you will see the stadium pictures soon.

I'd imagine the council will hand them over to the Liverpool Echo and various other media sources within a few days.

You will not be dissapointed...:)

Blimey we've actualy tried to sign a player, it was rejected like but still.

Colchester have had a £200,000 bid for QPR striker Ray Jones rejected.

Jones, who signed a three-and-a-half-year deal at Loftus Road in January, has made 39 appearances and scored five goals.

Chairman Gianni Paladini told QPR's website: "We are not going to sell our best players unless the price is right and Ray has a part in our future."

The Layer Road club are considering going back to the Londoners with an improved offer for the 18-year-old.

Would love to sign him, we wont get him though. Fulham bid 1.5 million for him in January ffs. Can't remember the last time we spent money on a player either.

Ray Jones awesome player, I think he will make the premiership before long, but not yet he is still very young.

Reguarding the new stadium the Club and Architects plan to release the pictures 3rd July

Reguarding the new stadium the Club and Architects plan to release the pictures 3rd July

Yeah but I reckon now the plans have gone to the council you're safe to leak the pics though :)