NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2007/2008

Wow alot of Liverpool Fans sure seem to be confident, that they will win the title this year.

Number 26 ;)

1) Thierry Henry is off to Barcelona.

2) You keep checking the internet to see if you've signed someone. You just did it now.

3) And again.

4) The Gossip column is twice as long as normal.

5) Thierry Henry is off to Real Madrid now.

6) Man Utd release a new kit.

7) Football pundits find themselves shoehorned into covering other sports.

8) As do football journalists. Quick, look busy.

9) Someone English is cheered all the way to the fourth round of Wimbledon from Henman Hill or Murray Mount or somewhere.

10) Actually, Andrew Murray's Scottish, isn't he? Let's not cheer for him.

11) Sue Barker sits there and tells you it's a "Great British summer of sport".

12) You end up knowing the names of half the footballers' agents in the Premier League.

13) Old pros are forced to play football as satellite TV desperately scrabbles around for material.

14) Spurs target a top-four finish.

15) Your skin has gone a funny lobster colour and hurts.

16) Golf seems interesting.

17) Everyone gets excited waiting for the fixture list. Ooh, we play every team twice! Once home and once away! I can't wait!

18) You actually start to miss Alan Hansen.

19) Cricket is the new football. So we're told.

20) You try to convince yourself that the awful player linked with your club has just been misunderstood in the past.

21) And as for those players you've never heard of, well, best check their stats on Football Manager. That'll work.

22) You start to fancy Clare Balding.

23) Sky Sports News is even duller than normal.

24) Fernando Torres is linked with a move to the Premiership. (Note: In previous years, this role was regularly filled by Benni McCarthy).

25) You tell yourself staying up all night to watch the Copa America and MLS is normal.

26) It's Liverpool's year.

27) You suddenly realise you've got a wife and kids and that you haven't spoken to them for nine months. And they hate you.

28) You contemplate seeing if you can find your old Subbuteo set in the loft.

29) You persuade your family this year's holiday should be in Norway just so you can watch live football. Brann are top, you know, and Odd Grenland have only won once. Fascinating.

30) You persuade yourself the Intertoto Cup is really great.

31) You start craving cold lager at 10am every day.

32) You get so desperate that you start watching Eurosport 2 in the hope some football comes on.

33) You find yourself travelling 100 miles on a bus to watch the youth team's reserves playing a pre-season friendly.

34) You realise it's 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and you're holding your missus' bags in Top Shop. And even though she's trying to talk to you, all you're thinking is 'Ooh, I remember when Top Man used to sponsor Leeds'.

35) You love being top four or hate being in the relegation zone. Even though the league is entirely alphabetical.

36) You breathe a sigh of relief when you realise pre-season friendlies start in the first week of July. Because watching your out-of-shape side play Stevenage is just great, isn't it?

37) Newcastle sign 15 players. Only one of them is a defender.

38) You start to work out how many players it would take for your side to break into the Big Four. Then you think how great it would be if you somehow won your first ten games and managed to stay ahead of the rest and be in with a shout of the league.

39) You convince yourself it's worth sticking a quid on it at 2500/1 odds. 50p, at least.

40) You put the other 50p on Man Utd getting relegated at 7500/1. Anything's possible, right?

Chelsea

United

Liverpool

Tottenham

Wigan

Fulham

Derby

I find it quite stupid that you have fans thinking were crazy to think that we might win the league.

I think it would be quite stupid to say that we can't..

away to Sheffield United :( Oh well at least they have robbo in charge now so we have a chance.

Liverpool

Chelsea

Man U

Totenham

Sunderland

Fulham

Derby

The stupid thing is that we Liverpool fans are usually right, it should be our year after the strong finishes we tend to have in the Premiership (although this year was a weird one with all the weak teams we put out.

Its just that we tend to get such crappy starts to seasons and every year we figure it will be different. I mean considering how bad the start to the season was last year we still did well so if we can be more consistant throughout we'll be right up there.

Have liverpool even brought anyone this year?

Voronin, Leto, Lucas, a couple of Hungarian kids plus some more that I may have forgotten about.

I can't believe people think the spuds will finish above us. That is rofl worthy in itself.

We will see. i think arsenal are in the decline. If totenham can keep their players together and add to it then i think they could do it.

No One to write home about we've been too busy planning a super-collosal stadium

:awesome:

Spanish Season isn't over yet, let the dust settle there and you will see a few signings.

Torres is more likely then Eto'o IMO

I think it's abit hard to predict leagues at the moment because the transfer window has just opened...

I can't believe people think the spuds will finish above us. That is rofl worthy in itself.

Laugh all you want, but I think Spurs finishing above Arsenal is a hell of a lot more likely than Liverpool winning the league.

I just don't get why people ae discounting Liverpool before the season starts, before the transfer window opens, and just a few hours after the fixtures are announced.

I'll wait to see who Liverpool sign before writing them off, but imho it'll probably be Chelsea and Man Utd slugging it out again at the top

listening to the england u21 game against italy in the european championships.

england have just gone 1-0 up :)

nugent scored.

edit: haaa. 2-0. lita this time.

edit no 2: haaa. 2-1. some italian guy scored.

I just don't get why people ae discounting Liverpool before the season starts, before the transfer window opens, and just a few hours after the fixtures are announced.

When I look at the Liverpool squad, I see signs of quality with the likes of Gerrard, Carragher, Mascherano, but I don't see enough depth. I think one think you are lacking is a good winger, and somebody who can put the ball into the box. With a striker built like Crouch, this is one area where you are missing a trick. Put balls into the box and the goals will come.

Looking at your squad, I think maybe the squad does rely too heavily on Gerrard and Carragher. They're the heart of the team. I just want to see other players step their game up when Gerrard isn't playing too well, and I don't think we see enough of that.

Another thing, consistency. If Liverpool played like every game was a Cup Final, you'd have the treble. Thing is, occassionally you'll give an amazing performance, and then next week you'll fall to pieces. It's a case of "which Liverpool team will we get this week?"

look there's another 2 months before the season starts lets see who clubs buy before even bothering to make predictions.

When I look at the Liverpool squad, I see signs of quality with the likes of Gerrard, Carragher, Mascherano, but I don't see enough depth. I think one think you are lacking is a good winger, and somebody who can put the ball into the box. With a striker built like Crouch, this is one area where you are missing a trick. Put balls into the box and the goals will come.

Looking at your squad, I think maybe the squad does rely too heavily on Gerrard and Carragher. They're the heart of the team. I just want to see other players step their game up when Gerrard isn't playing too well, and I don't think we see enough of that.

Another thing, consistency. If Liverpool played like every game was a Cup Final, you'd have the treble. Thing is, occassionally you'll give an amazing performance, and then next week you'll fall to pieces. It's a case of "which Liverpool team will we get this week?"

I said it in another thread Benitez has his core...

Reina

Finnan Agger Carra Riise

Gerrard Alonso Mascherano ??????

???? ?????

Fill in all those blanks, you got a title winning squad....

I said it in another thread Benitez has his core...

Reina

Finnan Agger Carra Riise

Gerrard Alonso Mascherano ??????

???? ?????

Fill in all those blanks, you got a title winning squad....

If you don't mind me saying so, those are some pretty big damn blanks to fill. :heh:

I think you'll definitely improve next season, and the gap between 1st and 3rd/4th will not be anywhere near as big. But, I still can't see Liverpool claiming it.

I'm hoping the Villa will finish closer to the top 6 this season. O'Neill has now had his bedding-in season as we started to see the fruits of his labours towards the end of the season. Hopefully with some good buys, we can start climbing that table towards Europe.

Liverpool at home first game of the season - I'll be there!

Up The Villa!

I agree Riise is subject to criticism, but let's reserve judgement till August when Rafa has his signings made.

I will say however I do feel we won't see a major overhall till next season when Foster Gillete takes over from Rick Parry...

Benitez has signed some crap players, but I do give him a bit of credit with that in the fact that they dont last long if they arent up to par. Kronkamp being my favourite, gone within a few months.

As I said, "I do give him a bit of credit".

That doesnt mean hes automatically forgiven for buying and playing crap players like Zenden.

L'pool won't win the league next season. Sorry, but it won't happen. I reckon it's going to be United again tbh; they are just gonna get stronger.