NEurope
Demuwan

Madden NFL 08

Creating players has never interested me in any game to be honest.

Been playing ESPN 2K5 today. I'm shite at it though. :(

Does anyone have a list of the glitches/bugs in the game? Also whats this blur I keep reading about on gamefaqs? It apparently happens on 3rd down.

Hmm, I've had a couple of bugs so far. One involved a punt which bounces out a the 2 yard line but the sodding refs decided it was a touchback. *****.

I've fixed the running a bit now (put RB ability and RBK sliders up to 60). Still got a little bit of pass protection problems. I hate being pressured almost every other throw, plus today I'm a little dozy so it's taking me a little longer to make my reads :p Oh, and it keeps resetting my auto sub options! So irritating! But when I put the auto sliders to full it went mental and put my reserve SS at RCB. Great job there.

Can they patch the bugs out? I'm not even sure if they can patch Wii games can they?

Can they patch the bugs out? I'm not even sure if they can patch Wii games can they?

They have patched virtual console games Military Madness for one. But obviously this would be a larger undertaking and take up more memory. Oh wait no they cant can they as Madden is on a disc or does that matter? Guess someone else should answer lol. They might end up releasing a new batch of copies like they did with no mercy for the n64 as that a really bad bug that wiped saves.

They have patched virtual console games Military Madness for one. But obviously this would be a larger undertaking and take up more memory. Oh wait no they cant can they as Madden is on a disc or does that matter? Guess someone else should answer lol.

They have roaster updates, so it's possible. Depending on the size of the patch.

Cool so are people still up for this game or is it not looking good for madden?

Does anyone have a list of the glitches/bugs in the game? Also whats this blur I keep reading about on gamefaqs? It apparently happens on 3rd down.

Don't have a list but it now seems that a lot of the early reported bugs , may not be as bad as it seemed , some may not be bugs after all.

QB throwing immediately after the snap seems to be down to the refined controls. It looks like the snap then throw is now treated as one motion as opposed to two on last years , sounds a bit awkward and is actually quite hard to explain.

Quitting to main menu without saving after a Franchise game seems to be the main problem , but it seems to be experienced by only a few and there seems to be a workaround by manually saving as opposed to setting up the autosave. Not ideal but a solution of sorts.

3rd down blur : Seems that this may be a game feature and is supposed to reflect the pressure situation of a 3rd down. A bit similar to the vibrating Wii-mote when kicking a FG in the final 2 minutes. They also had the vibration feature in NCAA '05 to reflect home field advantage so if this blur was intended as a gameplay feature then perhaps they would have been better served by using vibration instead.

Most of the other complaints (predominantly on the PS3/360) seem to centre on the amount of turnovers , both INTs and fumbles but I suppose this could be rectified to a degree with sliders , I don't know.

As for the Wii version , the majority of the bitching seems to be about the stack of missing features and poor online experience. The missing features aren't ones I used much but when they get replaced by pointless crap like the party mode then I can understand the complaints.

Hopefully EA will sort the servers out , it seems to be worse than the early days on Strikers, but there have also been reports that in the manual it is stated that EA have the right to discontinue the online service 30 days after the NFL season finishes , I would assume they wouldn't be this daft.

Are the servers hosted by EA, or do you host them yourself?

Oh, and those bugs. May be a good idea to maybe buy the game in the future when they will get sorted? I can't see EA leaving them like that.

Darn I was so looking forward to this as my first online Wii game now its all going down hill. Maybe the servers will be ok for euro launch? lol

Darn I was so looking forward to this as my first online Wii game now its all going down hill. Maybe the servers will be ok for euro launch? lol

Maybe they will , then we can look forward to getting owned by yanks who have had a couple of weeks to get used to the bugs/gameplay quirks.

Then you have the pleasure of the massive amount of DCers , a half-full battery bug that kicks you from the game giving you the loss and the increased likelihood of the throwing bug happening due to the slightest lag and of course the all-new 'it's in the game' false-start penalty bug.

Joyous times ahead ;)

Yeah, I've decided against this version. It's a shame really, it sounded so promising.

Yet another disappointing review then.

Better keep this game away from Michael Vick as this sounds like a right dog.

"For most sports gamers, the Wii is little more than a novelty; an amusing yet insubstantial distraction that can't keep pace with the big new-gen hitters. The latest version of Madden is further evidence." 1up review

God I fucking HATE 1up. They speak so much bullshit.

On topic its a shame this hasn't lived up to the potential as last years Madden was awesome!!

1UP hate it, yet IGN and other sites seem to give it great reviews.

Coincidence?

Being too lazy to do a manual roster update meant that I never bothered cancelling my pre-order and this duly arrived this morning.

Only played one game so far but heres some observations.

Firstly I was able to import my AI settings from last years which was handy and then had a quick blast through the learn Madden section to suss the new controls.

I don't like how they have switched the dive/sprint buttons but hopefully this will become second nature soon enough. The big hit and defensive controls seem to be improved a bit and things seem easier to do than previously and the kicking controls also seem improved.

So onto the field , I am a sucker for pre-snap adjustments and using different packages. Thats the first problem there , I couldn't find anyway to bring in different packages but it had better be in there somewhere otherwise I won't be happy. Also gone are the pointer controls for making pre-snap adjustments and things are a lot more complicated as a result and it feels like a step backwards. Audibles are also seemingly more awkward to call than previously.

The new playbook is definately a regression too as it now takes longer to cycle through your plays and as I result I was called for plenty of delay of game penalties in my first game (also missing is the play clock ticking red when its due to run down and this only worsens matters). Considering that I know the Seahawks play book inside out this shouldn't have happened so I dread to think how bad it will be if you play as an unfamiliar team.

As for gameplay - mixed feelings. It seems a lot slower than last year for a start , passing seems harder although the slower pace means my timing may be off. My usual 200-250 yards a game was reduced to just 54 (against the Niners , wtf). I didn't experience the famous instant throw glitch (yet) although there was one play that seemed iffy (one of my rare completions , incidently).

Pass and run blocking seems to be improved though , but again the switching of the controls meant that I ended up diving instead of sprinting through the gaps on running plays.

On defense I didn't give up any big plays and DBs seem to be improved but this may just have been a one off.

Experienced the 3rd down blur a couple of times and it does seem to be more of a glitch than a gameplay feature , not game destroying but far from ideal.

I have only played one game so far so a lot of these opinions may change , but it doesn't appear to be as bad as some are saying , although in my book the missing packages and lack of pointer control for adjustments is a big deal.

Incidently , on 7mins quarters, All-pro, custom AI settings , I not only lost to the Niners but got shut out 13-0. Under the same settings on '07 I would have destroyed them.

EDIT - Scrub what I said about DBs , I got torched for 229 yards by Anquan Boldin in my second game , at least I got some offense going and have figured out how to select packages. Note to EA , how about producing a decent manual once in a while.

Also just tried to create an account with EA Nation , but unbelievably my preferred username (this one) is taken. Never have I experienced anyone using this one before , oh well there goes my uniqueness. ;)

Note to EA , how about producing a decent manual once in a while.

Apparently, the manual (and game box) doesn't say anything about online play.

Apparently, the manual (and game box) doesn't say anything about online play.

There is one page about online in the manual (which doesn't say a lot) but you are right about the box. I didn't even notice this , and does seem a bit of a stupid omission by EA.

As for online , can anyone confirm if EA have done the same as Nintendo and kept seperate servers for the different regions. Had a brief look and it seems that only around 18 people in total may have played this and the most I have seen online is 4 people.

The manual says naff all (as expected) and these lowly figures , unless I am missing something , can only mean separate region servers which means online action for this game will be limited to say the least.

EDIT (04/09) - Finally got round to finding a game online , only taken 5 days and it was pretty laggy but just about playable.

I was my beloved Hawks and my opponent chose the Patriots , he was one of these retreat in the pocket 20 yards then try to pass the ball type and only seemed to know two maybe three plays.

Anyway I had already picked him off twice and was leading 10-0 approaching half-time but he was driving in his 2min offense , next thing I picked him off a third time and what do you know 'your connection has been lost to your opponent'. Didn't even get the chance to finish the game against the CPU , no way to report DCers (despite a rep system being in place) so I get naff all for my efforts.

This is what pisses me off most about online gaming and this combined with a bit of lag isn't a good start for my online introduction for Madden.

I've uploaded updated rosters into my EA Locker. Feel free to download them.

Updated my rosters 28/11/07

Apologies for the bump , but I wasn't sure that this news qualified for it's own thread (given the sports popularity over here , probably not).

In a move of complete and utter stupidity the NFL has reportedly agreed to terms with EA to extend the exclusivity deal for the NFL License till 2012.

Stupid , stupid NFL

Do the bods at the NFL really play these games , because the Madden franchise has been in decline for a number of years and is vastly inferior to the 2k sports NFL games and this news is hardly going to inspire those at EA to vastly improve the game.

There goes any dreams of playing NFL 2k10 any time soon. Disgraceful.

Not having played 2k sports NFL games and liking Madden 08 and considfering EA is pretty good lately, can't say it's a stupid move