NEurope
Haden

PC upgrade advise

Hey guys sorry I know this sub board gets choked with these sort of questions and heres another one!

Basically my pc is quite old but I want to upgrade it so I can play MTW 2 without as much lag and maybe oblivion on low to medium settings.

At the moment its a P4 2.8ghz 1gb ram and a radeon 9800 pro. I have a vga slot and was thinking of getting a geforce 7600 so I can play current games a bit better. I know this system wont really see me into crysis but this is just a stop gap so I can catch up on 2006-7 before getting a new com. So what card do I need do most come with dvi to vga convertors and is that card enough for what I want?

Thanks for any responses.

I would go for the 7600GS or GT, they are good cards and ya, they would do what you need them to do. I also might add either another GB of RAM, or maybe just 512 more. That may help in game performance. Updating your CPU would basically merit a full upgrade. So, I would just get a better graphics card and maybe some more RAM. Most graphics cards come with a VGA-DVI converter. :laughing:

I would go for the 7600GS or GT, they are good cards and ya, they would do what you need them to do. I also might add either another GB of RAM, or maybe just 512 more. That may help in game performance. Updating your CPU would basically merit a full upgrade. So, I would just get a better graphics card and maybe some more RAM. Most graphics cards come with a VGA-DVI converter. :laughing:

Cool thanks for the advice yeh obviously dual core would rock but I would have to change my motherboard I guess and then it would get messy wouldnt it? Thanks for reply though is it easy to put in a new card and ram? Also down the line should I just buy a new com or just a new motherboard and dual core? lol answers spawn more questions thanks for the help though I cant wait to conquer the almohlads with thousands of men on the battlefield rather than hundreds!

Yes RAM and Video cards are extremely easy to place in computers. ( Just look for matching shapes ;) )

It all depends really if your current RAM (and new RAM) is compatible with future mobos. If you have and are getting DDR2 240pin RAM you should just be able to upgrade the mobo and processor and be set.

But if the RAM for your current computer is older then you should probably just get a second computer, and that way you could have one super fast computer, and one medium computer for other things. :)

Depending on how old the PC is, it might be worth considering getting a brand new one. Works out easier this way as well.

But if you are still wishing to upgrade your current PC, then depending on how old it is you might have to upgrade the motherboard as well as the RAM and other parts to be able to get these to work effectively