NEurope
Emasher

Safari For Windows

I agree, I don't understand why they would put a Mac OS X design into Vista.

True, but i suppose it does match with iTunes. I think the problem comes from not having the menu bar in windows, so they have to have a separate bar for file edit etc, which makes the top fatter. On OS X i don't really notice the top bit as much as i do when i use firefox.

Even iTunes has a bit of Aero though. The minimize, maximize, and close buttons are Aeroy.

Can someone who's using the Beta on Vista post a screenshot?

Okay.. just to ask, why exactly is the mac vs. windows thread closed? We have a saying over here in Belgium and it goes like this: freedom of speech. That thread wasn't getting out of hand, now was it? Djezus.

And Takeo, that still doesn't explain why exactly Safari should look like any Mac applications. You have, however, pointed out what annoyed me in all windows versions of mac software: the menu-bars. They're so ugly and they disturb the window in these Apple applications. I don't mind the bars in Word or even Photoshop, but in Safari and iTunes it's annoying. But still, the look should have been more windows. It would improve their software.

Even iTunes has a bit of Aero though. The minimize, maximize, and close buttons are Aeroy.

Can someone who's using the Beta on Vista post a screenshot?

Here you go.

Thanks thirtynine. +1 imaginary rep point.

See, I think if the top bar got some Aero in it, (and a different color, gray is a bit dull) this could be a sexy browser. The one (and only) thing I love in macs is the light blue colors. (The scroll bar etc.)

If they integrate Aero into the final version I might actually use it.

If they integrate Aero into the final version I might actually use it.

That's pretty key. Why would people use Safari over the other 3 big browsers? IE is on every windows PC and most people would say it's crap. FF is a great fast browser, that has been getting slower since 2.0 imo, and has a mountain of really cool add ons for it and thats how it got popular. Opera had tabbed browsing before anyone else i believe and was still pretty damn fast-faster than IE at any rate.

What will Apple have to do to differentiate Safari for Windows from the other browsers to make people want it? Not just use it for the sake of it.

Also is it possible for a Vista snap of the window non fullscreened with IE 7 in the back ground?

Posting with it now, first i want to point out it took 20 secs to load. And all the text everywhere is blurry. I can get used to the look and feel of the interface and that if i use it enough. But i need glasses on the pc as it is.

Bullshit. He's talking about Safari on Mac OS X, which I'm using and is working perfectly.

Oh, I thought he was talking about the windows beta since the topic is Safari for Windows and all.

Sorry!

Oh, I thought he was talking about the windows beta since the topic is Safari for Windows and all.

Sorry!

Safari for Windows IS 3.0 so it'll be pretty stupid to create a separate thread for the mac version, when they're both basically the same.

Stop the hate, spread the love *flowers*

Posting with it now, first i want to point out it took 20 secs to load.

I should hope it loads faster than that in the final version, all the speed things are based around how they handle the web pages not how quick they load up the first time you open it.

freedom of speech.

It's a well-known fact that freedom of speech doesn't exist.

Hopefully someone finds a way to skin this, like iTunes.

Safari 3.01 for windows is available, patching up some flaws in it, use the apple updater or just download it again to apply the fix.

WOW Safari downloads have topped a million in its first 48 hours of being available . . . now there's WOW.

Well people are excited to use the browser that has been MAC only for oh so long. I want to try it, but being on a shit computer and it being a test version it is simply not worth it.

I've not tried it yet, tbh im not all that interested. It looks ugly and isn't likely to run any better than Firefox so until the final release i see no point trying

I've not tried it yet, tbh im not all that interested. It looks ugly and isn't likely to run any better than Firefox so until the final release i see no point trying

I kinda agree, the beta is for the Apple crazies and fellas that want a bit of Apple lovin on their Windows PC. Everyone else can wait for the, hopefully, vastly modified Safari for Windows Final.

I gave it a go, but it kept crashing all the time on my PC and on the PC downstairs as well and when it was working it never connected to the internet, so i'm keeping to using Firefox instead.

The UI is coherent with iTunes and with what you'll get on iPhone basically, and maybe that's the point. People will know how to use safari (which is the simplest and most elegant browser imo) and will be able to sync their bookmarks across to their phones.

That's exactly why they're introducing it, to familiarize people with it, and also so more web developers start making their sites with Safari in mind as well.

That's exactly why they're introducing it, to familiarize people with it, and also so more web developers start making their sites with Safari in mind as well.

The later being the main reason. When i was at Uni we had to include IE and Firefox compatibility to pass, Opera got you bonus points but they weren't bothered about Safari. If the people being trained no are being taught like that then Apple have a long way to come with Safari.

Im not sure they should bother tbh, Firefox and Opera are Mac compatable and are both brilliant borwsers with great compatability. They'd be better helping out Mozilla with a version of Firefox that is Mac specific, i.e. a proper OS X GUI

The later being the main reason. When i was at Uni we had to include IE and Firefox compatibility to pass, Opera got you bonus points but they weren't bothered about Safari. If the people being trained no are being taught like that then Apple have a long way to come with Safari.

Im not sure they should bother tbh, Firefox and Opera are Mac compatable and are both brilliant borwsers with great compatability. They'd be better helping out Mozilla with a version of Firefox that is Mac specific, i.e. a proper OS X GUI

Money and boasting are 2 big reasons why Apple should enter the market. Also they feel like they have something different and simplier to use on offer here. I haven't used anything but Safari since having my mac simply because i find it clutter free, reliable and fast. Hopefully people on windows will be able to experience this with the final release-i'm saying will be JUST before Leopard in October.

Money and boasting are 2 big reasons why Apple should enter the market. Also they feel like they have something different and simplier to use on offer here. I haven't used anything but Safari since having my mac simply because i find it clutter free, reliable and fast. Hopefully people on windows will be able to experience this with the final release-i'm saying will be JUST before Leopard in October.

I agree, using it on Mac it's an excellent browser, I have this and Firefox on here and I prefer Safari. I also like the bookmark bar.

Oh i know why they are doing it, it just seems like a battle that they are loosing. Maybe Safari for Windows will sort this, maybe not.

At the moment SlimBrowser is the best for a basic clutter free browser in Windows, will be interesting to see how Safari compares

Oh i know why they are doing it, it just seems like a battle that they are loosing. Maybe Safari for Windows will sort this, maybe not.

At the moment SlimBrowser is the best for a basic clutter free browser in Windows, will be interesting to see how Safari compares

If only one thousand people download it, it would still increase their market-share. It's a market that will always give you a bigger share than staying only on mac. That's why SEGA threw away their hardware business and went software. There was a bigger market for them there. Luckily for Apple, they can still throw their software in the open on Windows without abandoning hardware.