NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Wolf

PS3 or 360?

I need a new console to play in the summer (I won't have anything to do) so it's either of these two. I have a few concerns about both consoles.

360:

1. The incredibly shoddy hardware.

2. The range of games (ie mostly shooters and racing games..)

PS3:

1. The online. I haven't read much about it, but how is it?

2. The lack of support from developers. Are most 360 games on the PS3?

Type of Games I like:

I'm mostly into action adventure, RPG games and stealth games. I've never really been keen on first person shooters. I've played some on my brother's PC (Far Cry, Half-Life 2 etc.) and although I did enjoy them I never completed them but I love multiplayer fpses. I hear Haze is coming out for PS3 which looks good (I liked Goldeneye, PD and Timesplitters) and the rumors that Bioware are developing for PS3 seem intruiging. I'm also not bothered about racing games.

However there are some brilliant games coming out for 360 such as Mass Effect, Bioshock and Halo 3.

Which one then?

I'm obviously biased owning a 360 and I've never played a PS3 so can't really comment on that side of things but I'm so glad I got my 360.

I've never been a massive FPS fan and always thought I liked RPGs but found myself getting bored of them. I ended up buying my 360 due to the Wii game drought and haven't touched my Wii in ages as a result.

There are some really good games available, my favourite at the moment being Gears which is such a blast and the mulitplayer is great fun, then you got games like Viva Pinata, Prey and Crackdown which are also really good.

As I said though I've never played a PS3 but some of the games look really cool, read a preview of Little Big Planet in Edge a few months ago and it looked frickin awesome.

Answering your question about lack of developers I think most big games which cost a huge amount to make will be available on both consoles as there's a lot of costs that need to be recovered to turn a profit. If a developer can double their market by not going exclusive I'm sure most will chose that option unless they get a big payout from Sony/Microsoft.

I don't regret getting my 360 for an instant but it's up to you at the end of the day!

Which one then?

Having played both, i can say that hands down.

The answer on this forum is only going to go one way; 360

1. Cheaper

2. Great bundle packs available

3. Loads of great titles out.

4. Loads of great titles coming out.

5. Live is the best online service ever!

6. You get to play online with us lot (im not sure if this is a good thing or not?)

You say you like stealth? Splinter Cell is now 360 exclusive :) Atleast that's what was planned anyway.

360 by a long way. Hardware isn't shoddy to my experience, it's worked perfectly all the time I've owned it and the games are immense.

How long have you had it Bard? If I buy one now and it breaks about 12 months down the road and the 65n chip has come out, do you reckon they'll replace it with that?

Aye the hardware is not shoddy. Well mine has lasted since last April and no 3 red lights, bar the time I unplugged a plug from the back...crapped myself but it wasnt deadly.

Most, if not all PS3 exclusives are coming to the 360.

Plus the better half of the graphics are coming in. DiRT, the demo, looked exactly like the graphics Motorstorm was pumping out. And that was just the demo, the full game will look similar I assume, but it looked amazing.

I've had it for about 2 and a half months...which isn't much, but I've played it around 3-4 hours a day most days.

And yeah, the Microsoft customer service is ace from what I've heard...

What? It's suppoosed to be terrible. Some of the "refurbs" die pretty quickly apparantly.

What? It's suppoosed to be terrible. Some of the "refurbs" die pretty quickly apparantly.

Nope, I got a replacement within 3-4 days and it's worked perfectly ever since.

I say go for 360 as it's got some excellent games, Gears, Forza 2, PGR3, Crackdown, Virtua Tennis, Pacman CE, Geometry Wars, Viva Pinata, Oblivion etc. etc.

Then there are loads of gaes coming this year like you say Bioshock, Halo 3, PGR4, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, and a load more I can't think of. *Remembers Assasins Creed and Splinter Cell*

And yes some of these games are PS3 but 360 is cheaper :) Plus the controllers better. And the online service is better.

*Cough* Achievements *Cough*

XBOX 360 is my favourite console at the moment. I say get one.

If you're looking for a machine to play over the summer then it has to be the 360. In the long term, however, it's too early to call it.

There's a raft of multiplayer FPSes available, so I'm sure there's at least one to see you through the sunny months. I've just ordered Shadowrun as the demo was really fun, and there's always Halo 3 to look forward to for the end of the year.

In general I'd say the PS3 is a nicer machine. I'm on my fourth 360 after having various problems, and even my current one is so loud that I can hear its fans several rooms away. In contrast to that the PlayStation 3 purrs away fine, and whilst it's too early for me to make a call on lifetime stability it certainly feels a lot more stable than Microsoft's machine.

However, right now the software just isn't there for the PS3. It has several good games, but there doesn't appear to be anything substantial on the release calendar for several months whereas Microsoft have a solid catalogue of titles already available. Admittedly there is a severe lack of adventure games and RPGs, but right now Sony aren't doing any better.

If you must get a machine right now then go for a 360. But bear in mind that if you asked me again next year I could well be suggesting a PlayStation 3.

I'm in a similar position and one factor which I've found is that overall a PS3 is cheaper than a 360 in the long run.

My Sums:

PS3 (400) + Headset (12) + Component cable (10) = 422 (Free=online, built in wireless, 60gb, blu-ray player)

360 (250) + Wireless adapter (55) + Online (140=35x4) = 445 (Free=20gb, headset, Component Cable)

As you can see for around the same price the PS3 boasts 40gbs more and a Blu-ray player.

Heres from experience, wireless gaming is awful... awful. Its lag tastic no matter how good the signal is.

Always, always stick with wired.

Also, heres another point. Its probably better to go get a 360 Core and import a 200GB HDD from the US.

360 by a long way. Hardware isn't shoddy to my experience, it's worked perfectly all the time I've owned it and the games are immense.

QFT.

I only got 3 red lights once, probably because it overheated (room with computer+TV+360 on carpet+late July). I just poked the power button, gave it 5 minutes, and tried again. It's worked fine ever since.

Also, the games are stupidly awesome, with many great ones still to come.

Also, the games are stupidly awesome, with many great ones still to come.

Especially Naruto. I am really hyped for that game.

So many games to come out for it, it's actually annoying that I have insufficient funds.

Apart from a few laggy games (which can happen just as easily with a wired connection), I've had no trouble with wireless gaming on my PS3. I suppose there's a lot of different factors to consider though. Type of router, ISP, etc.

Personally, I find it hard to recommend either console at this point in time.

PS3 needs more games. Although, if you haven't got a PS2 and/or don't mind playing last-gen games on your shiny new £400 console then it's certainly worth considering in that respect (it's what I'm using mine for at the moment whilst I wait for new games). And since the PS3's backwards compatibility support is better than the Xbox 360's it's better in that respect too.

And the 360? Mine's been broken (red ring of death :indeed: ) for weeks and, for me, there's very little incentive to get it fixed. :sad:

at the moment I'd say the 360 is the better choice, since there are more games available for it and the quality releases are now coming thick and fast, whereas it'll still be about 6 months at least before people are fully utilising the PS3

360 at the moment, as everyone above me has said. This time next year, the PS3 should have really taken off, with any luck. But right now, the 360 has better games and more of them (Buy Forza 2).

360. Just make sure you get some sort of extended warranty with it though. I got 3 years for an extra 50 quid. 360's break really easily, so it's worth it lol.

Heres from experience, wireless gaming is awful... awful. Its lag tastic no matter how good the signal is.

Always, always stick with wired.

Also, heres another point. Its probably better to go get a 360 Core and import a 200GB HDD from the US.

Don't you mean a 120gb?

Yeah, I think so. Game do aswell, I got an extra 3 years just in case.

I've played both and although I really liked the PS3 I went for the 360 because :

1 More games out at the moment + Blue Dragon, Enternal Sonata, Halo 3, Haze, etc

2 Playing online with friends I found easier and just a better experience.

3 Better controller

4 Achievements

Haze is coming to Xbox 360, just a timed delay after the PS3.

I'm in a similar position and one factor which I've found is that overall a PS3 is cheaper than a 360 in the long run.

My Sums:

PS3 (400) + Headset (12) + Component cable (10) = 422 (Free=online, built in wireless, 60gb, blu-ray player)

360 (250) + Wireless adapter (55) + Online (140=35x4) = 445 (Free=20gb, headset, Component Cable)

As you can see for around the same price the PS3 boasts 40gbs more and a Blu-ray player.

You failed to mention that you usally get 3/4 games and a extra controller with the 360 and you shouldn't really get the wireless adapter and why did you do four years of Live? The PS3 will also be getting a new controller so in the 'long run' that would be an extra expense.

Sign in to follow this