NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

(Apparant) Images of the Sony SNES

We all know about the Nintendo/Phillips/Sony Super Famicom Add-On that was in the works. Apparantly, game-rave have gotten some photos of a prototype.

sony_famicom_front.jpg

sony_famicom_back.jpg

Real? Or just fake?

It was meant to be a disk system, i call fake on this one. Inf act, im sure a recent issue of Retro Gamer had a picture of the REAL prototype.

It was meant to be a disk system, i call fake on this one. Inf act, im sure a recent issue of Retro Gamer had a picture of the REAL prototype.

Yea, thats why I put apparant.

Was this like the one in Retro Gamer:

NCD4.JPG

NCD4.JPG

No i don't think that was it. I'll dig it out when i go to dad's on tuesday.

It was just an expansion, not a complete console, so no new controller ports, and above all it lacks a CD drive. I call fake.

Its like a epic item in a way. The machine that created the console wars.

Some executives at Nintendo must slap themselves in the face when they see this.

Its real. But it isn't the Sony SNES or whatever. It is the original Sony Play Station. Notice it says Play Station, two words. It came out before the Playstation we all know now and I'm pretty sure no games actually came out for it. It sold miserably, I think about 400 or something lame like that!

By the end of 1992, Sony and Nintendo reached a deal whereby the "Sony Play Station" would still have a port for SNES games, but Nintendo would own the rights and receive the bulk of the profits from the games, and the SNES would continue to use the Sony-designed audio chip. However, at this point, Sony realized that the SNES technology was getting long in the tooth, and the next generation of console gaming was around the corner: work began in early 1993 on reworking the "Play Station" concept to target a new generation of hardware and software; as part of this process the SNES cartridge port was dropped, the space between the names was removed, and the PlayStation was born.

Its real. But it isn't the Sony SNES or whatever. It is the original Sony Play Station. Notice it says Play Station, two words. It came out before the Playstation we all know now and I'm pretty sure no games actually came out for it. It sold miserably, I think about 400 or something lame like that!

Your Wiki quote is innacurate. Nintendo dropped their link with Sony for making the drive for the SNES, instead partnering with another company (Panasonic, I think...). Sony went on to try and create a drive that would play stuff for the SNES anyway (seemingly as a 3rd party) but due to technological setbacks failed. The research efforts and data (not to mention mallice) went into making the Playstation.

Fake also why would they have a headphone slot on a console. is that normal?

It was Phillips. Who then made the CD-i.

Phillips:)

cue the worst deal nintendo ever made.

Your Wiki quote is innacurate. Nintendo dropped their link with Sony for making the drive for the SNES, instead partnering with another company (Panasonic, I think...). Sony went on to try and create a drive that would play stuff for the SNES anyway (seemingly as a 3rd party) but due to technological setbacks failed. The research efforts and data (not to mention mallice) went into making the Playstation.

I'm sorry but I'm right.

From Eurogamer's article on Ken Kutaragi's career.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=75805&page=1

Nintendo shouldn't have worried - at least, not yet. The first Play Station was a disaster; industry lore suggests that only 200 of the consoles, sporting a SNES-CD drive (for which no games were produced), were ever produced. By 1992, Sony had worked out a deal with Nintendo which would see it producing consoles with SNES cartridge ports, but with Nintendo still making all the profit from the games. This, of course, was pointless; videogame hardware is traditionally sold either at a loss or a tiny profit margin, and the money comes from sales of licensed software.

Its on the second page.

I did make one mistake though, it sold only about 200 not 400.

*Puts on 'smug git' grin*

TBH Its a highly unknown fact, but its a fact nonetheless.

I'm sorry but I'm right.

From Eurogamer's article on Ken Kutaragi's career.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=75805&page=1

Its on the second page.

I did make one mistake though, it sold only about 200 not 400.

*Puts on 'smug git' grin*

TBH Its a highly unknown fact, but its a fact nonetheless.

Yeah you are smug. Maybe that's because it's not about who wins.

My point was that it was not Sony who dropped the deal due to the fact that the technology was out of date. The relationship went sour and the drive was produced by someone else (Philips according to the above). Sony still tried to make hardware after this for the SNES, so it couldn't be them leaving the relationship behind. (Which was my point).

(Philips according to the above)

Because of the contract with Philips, when the deal was broken Nintendo had to let Philips use their franchises on their console, the CD-i. You all know how those games turned out.

Yeah you are smug. Maybe that's because it's not about who wins.

My point was that it was not Sony who dropped the deal due to the fact that the technology was out of date. The relationship went sour and the drive was produced by someone else (Philips according to the above). Sony still tried to make hardware after this for the SNES, so it couldn't be them leaving the relationship behind. (Which was my point).

Yea, fair nuff. I phrased that whole response in a really gimpish way, sorry! : peace:

Fake also why would they have a headphone slot on a console. is that normal?

The Megadrive had a headphone slot, plus volume control.

tehmegadrivebe6.jpg

Oh ya i forgot that it had that. I never used it though:)

I think I tried it a few times, but I preferred it coming from the telly. :smile:

NCD4.JPG

That was the definite one...

Im sure I still have issues of Super Play mag with the pics (and articles) kicking around

That was the definite one...

Im sure I still have issues of Super Play mag with the pics (and articles) kicking around

Yes, I remember the Sony add on, it was going to be a CD add on for the SNES, however after the dismal failures of the Megadrive add ons it was dropped, and sony went on to make it into the Playstation.

Nintendo's biggest error?

*Looks at PS3 sales*

*Looks at Wii sales*

Nope...not really.

*Looks at PS3 sales*

*Looks at Wii sales*

Nope...not really.

*Looks at N64 and Gamecube sales*

*Looks at PS1 and PS2 sales*

Of course not.

*Looks at the pics in the first post*

Yup, I reckon those'd be fakes.

The one posted down a bit, thats below a Snes, I think thats how it was meant to be. I remember seeing some photo's like that back in the day.

Imagine how different it would all have been if Nintendo hadnt gone off to Phillips... we could just be looking at Nintendo v Microsoft at the mo! (Which it kind of is right now, I guess.)

Yes, I remember the Sony add on, it was going to be a CD add on for the SNES, however after the dismal failures of the Megadrive add ons it was dropped, and sony went on to make it into the Playstation.

Probably the biggest error to their not so small bank balance...

The question is: without the error made back then, would Nintendo have started pushing the envolope in the way they have over the last few years to win back business ?

*Looks at N64 and Gamecube sales*

*Looks at PS1 and PS2 sales*

Of course not.

although I'd agree on the Gamecube, the N64 was not a failure and still sold a helluva lot, obviously not as much as the PS, but I think Sony's shareholders would prefer Nintendos profits if it meant being 3rd in the console race :)

Sign in to follow this