NEurope

You don't 'want to' become gay and the next day you are. I think people are born gay.
Weren't there some science reports that showed that people with different sexual preferences had different 'configurations' of the hypophysis? It led to many upset reactions as it means that homosexuals are physically slightly (very very slightly) different to heterosexuals.

This page sums it up.

I was thinking. It says in that wikipedia page that homosexuality isn't adaptive because no oppspring are produced.

Maybe theres too many humans in the world (6 billion is alot) and homosexuality is a evolutionary thing to stop overpopulation?

I was thinking. It says in that wikipedia page that homosexuality isn't adaptive because no oppspring are produced.

Maybe theres too many humans in the world (6 billion is alot) and homosexuality is a evolutionary thing to stop overpopulation?

its an interesting idea, as it happens in animals too (as we are animals and i think there are gay monkeys and stuff isn't there?) maybe its generally just a trait to stop evolution

(?) No. 10char

Millions of scientists and the like get paid millions to research the human brain for stuff like this and you've just thought a a better reason any of them have come up with!

Thats a pretty good point though.

Homosexuality is not natural. Its human nature, its doing what feels right, for yourself.

Lets talk about tranny's. I have nothing against gays and the like, but being transexual isn't a proper sex change. The chopping of the balls is urrrrg...

No, evolution doesn't work that way. Only when the overpopulation starts to threaten the life of an individual in the population will he evolve into stopping that overpopulation, and that's still quite far into the future.

The weird thing is though, if homosexuality is in fact a 'mutation' as research suggests, evolution should have removed it from our genes a long time ago. Apparently there is some reason for it.

Edit

Sexual practices that significantly reduce frequency of heterosexual intercourse significantly decrease the chances of successful reproduction, and for this reason, they may be maladaptive in an evolutionary context. Maladaptive traits will only be removed from a population if the trait is under simple, direct selection, if it derives from a heritable component of a genotype and if the intensity of selection is greater than other evolutionary forces like genetic drift, or inclusive fitness. The prevalence of homosexuality does not, therefore, represent a problem for genetic or evolutionary theory.
Right.

No, evolution doesn't work that way. Only when the overpopulation starts to threaten the life of an individual in the population will he evolve into stopping that overpopulation, and that's still quite far into the future.

The weird thing is though, if homosexuality is in fact a 'mutation' as research suggests, evolution should have removed it from our genes a long time ago. Apparently there is some reason for it.

Edit

Right.

But what use does nature have for it? I mean it doesn't create more humans to keep the species going so howcome, if it is a "mutation", as you say how come it hasn't been removed long ago?

I mean, if he hated gays, why did he create them?

Homosexuality is not natural. Its human nature, its doing what feels right, for yourself.

you know I'm right

But what use does nature have for it? I mean it doesn't create more humans to keep the species going so howcome, if it is a "mutation", as you say how come it hasn't been removed long ago?

If you read the edit I posted, it is thought that homosexuality is something not or barely not affected by natural selection, because it is not something that is directly inherited from your parents.

If an animal's genetically makeup makes it have stronger arms, its children will inherit those stronger arms, because they get the genes passed through. All the children will have more or less stronger arms than the others of their species. However, if a heterosexual animal has children, it doesn't mean they're straight - there are loads of examples of gay and straight siblings. Homosexuality doesn't seem to be 'simple' genetics; it cannot easily be predicted and cannot be easily removed through evolution.

I don't think "natural" comes into the discussion. The computer you're using isn't natural, the clothes you're wearing aren't natural, and neither is the building you're sitting in.

I'm an animal; RAWR :bouncy:

Dunno if I'm right, but isn't there a theory it's to do with hormone doses in the womb? that's not genetic, therefore nothing to do with evolution or mutations.

If you read the edit I posted, it is thought that homosexuality is something not or barely not affected by natural selection, because it is not something that is directly inherited from your parents.

If an animal's genetically makeup makes it have stronger arms, its children will inherit those stronger arms, because they get the genes passed through. All the children will have more or less stronger arms than the others of their species. However, if a heterosexual animal has children, it doesn't mean they're straight - there are loads of examples of gay and straight siblings. Homosexuality doesn't seem to be 'simple' genetics; it cannot easily be predicted and cannot be easily removed through evolution.

ah ok, I undertstand you now.

I thought it was always determined by how you grow up, how you're parents raise you, what friends you choose when your younger and stuff. Well thats whats been in TV shows on stuff like this anyways, and it does sound like it could be true.

Which technically does mean its natural, its just more a of a minority compared to being straight.

So Chuck is sort of right (except for the not natural comment lol)

clever moment finished.

I always believed it was an over-population stopper thing.

The more humans there are, the more offspring there are and so therefore a gay baby is more likely. So the bigger the population there's more chance of homosexuality being prevelant. And as two men, nor two women can make babies, the homosexuals would die without offspring.

I don't know I'm no scientist.

And England, Trans-gendered people do not just "have their dicks cut off urg". They're born in the wrong body. For example a woman's brain in a man's body.

Tis I'm afraid.

What's 'natural' is never an argument.

It's 'natural' to want to survive and continue the survival of the species (breeders hurr) but then it's also natural to want as much sex as possible and some people have different attractions than others, none of my business what people want to stick in what hole, it's between them

This sentence is why I love you. :)

(In a non-sexual, brotherly/friend love kind of way...)

We need more people to talk like this! I'm bring back "thus" and "morn"!

Awww, Fish you're giving me the warm fuzzies. I love you too (again in a manly hug kind of way).

I'm not too sure on where I am on this nature vs. nurture thing. I'm inclined to think that it's a bit of column A and a little of column B. Like, the sexual preference may already exist within someone lying dormant, but can be brought out through environmental influences. I definately think it's natural though, just because something isn't the majority doesn't make an unnatural desire.

Feels quite natural to me.

Lets talk about tranny's.

OMG, LOL. "Lets talk about tranny's". I love how you start your post.

Anyways *cough*

I can't explain how gay people have arrived, I'm not even going to try. Hell, gay people existed 2000 years ago so the overpopulation story mustn't work. We wern't overpopulated then.

Well I don't think anyone would conciously make a decision to find the same sex attractive, it would just make life harder lol

Regarding if you could take a pill to become straight. Right now, I probably would take it. I don't like who I am but I'm sure in 3-4 years I will be feeling very different.