NEurope

I don't think it's necessarily the people, it's more of the regulation and laws they take into account when deciding the worst places.

Friday 13th April 2007.

I remember it, because on the night I told them I had forgotten it was my sister's 18th birthday (she was on holiday in America), and the morning after I remember thinking "Oops, that was a really bad time to say it"; taking her limelight etc.

And then I realised it had been Friday 13th, and superstitious little me cried.

I don't "Let's have a party!" celebrate it, because my parents still act as though I've never told them (Although I have political arguments sometimes with my dad, re: gay marriage etc), but I treasure it in my mind, because it was my first step towards defiance of shit I don't believe in.

You beat me by nearly 3 years. February 27th 2010. The death of awkwardness in my family. Rest in peace.

Regarding coming out to your family - it interests me how or whether people go about this, because if I were gay I wouldn't know what approach to take. Do you feel it's something your family ought to know, or do you just do it to avoid awkwardness? And if you choose not to tell them, do you think it limits or distorts the interaction you can have with people. Personally I think sexuality is about as important as gender - while you can have a conversation with someone without knowing whether they're male or female, knowing this influences the relationship between you, and not always in a negative way. Similarly with sexuality?

Kick Ass portrays it spectacularly; as soon as a girl learns you're gay, the way she acts around you instantly changes.

I felt I needed to tell my parents because it's just so claustraphobic being in the closet. Everything you do and say, you think "is this straight enough?". You end up not being yourself.

When it comes to relationships, I feel I'm behind, because I spent the first 5 years of my post-puberty worrying about the concept of being gay in itself - I never thought to think further than that - about how I'd deal with having a boyfriend etc. When I eventually told my family it was kinda like "Oh, hurdle jumped. Shit, now I have to actually think about other stuff."

Also, there's very little in the media portraying gay relationships, and when I saw a straight couple I always thought "that doesn't apply to me; ignore", so I was kinda in the dark.

But now I've learned how to think, so I'm dealing with everything well.

chairdriver were you in Islington this afternoon at about 3pm? There was a dude that looked just like your profile pic buying some kebaby thing in the street whilst Kay Burley was "reporting" on Sky News.

Having skimmed through this thread could of sworn it was you!

Yes, I was.

*lie*

Lol nevermind me then so! Must be your twin! You both have that Robert Patinson thing going on

Yeah that can be a big disadvantage and one that i've experience a few too many times :P It's especially worse when said person comes to you for relationship advice about their girlfriend, it's like ''If your on the rocks then why not... GO OUT WITH ME?!'' :P Of course I didn't actually say that but y'know.

You learn to deal with those things though and it often turns out that the person you liked wouldn't have been good for you anyway!

Definitely agree. I have this one guy though that I'm...doing my best to forget about. I think I go through phases with him. First I like him. Then think my life would be over without him(just a little dramatic! :P). Then feel anger towards him. Then just forget about him.

It kinda goes in a cycle. Right now I'm just forgetting about him and enjoying being single and moving on. Fingers crossed this will last and if not then I'm sure I can learn a lesson or two if I have feelings for him again.

I don't know who you have been talking to but Australia is one of the most gay-friendly communities. Sydney is often known as the gay capital of the southern hemisphere. Oxford Street is the vibrant center of the city and rainbow flags line the street. As someone who lives here take it from me, San Francisco aside, I think Sydney might be the best place in the world to be gay in.

Just a quick note:

The Ten Best Places In The World To Be Gay In - Guess who's number 2! : peace:

The Five most improved places for gay tolerance

The Five least gay tolerant places

Oh, well I take that back in that case. I read on some blog belonging to a gay man that he thought it wasn't very gay friendly. Must have been wrong I suppose :P

Definitely agree. I have this one guy though that I'm...doing my best to forget about. I think I go through phases with him. First I like him. Then think my life would be over without him(just a little dramatic! :P). Then feel anger towards him. Then just forget about him.

It kinda goes in a cycle. Right now I'm just forgetting about him and enjoying being single and moving on. Fingers crossed this will last and if not then I'm sure I can learn a lesson or two if I have feelings for him again.

Aah I had the exact situation with this one guy but whats worse is that the one day he actually kissed me. Sure, then it was the best day ever, I was so happy, especially because he was straight (apparently). He said ''This is our secret'' and I was over the moon, like happier than I'd ever been (I was madly in love with this guy). But then someone said to him that he spends a lot of time with me, he went totally off with me, said it meant nothing (The kiss) and that we shouldn't even see each other anymore. He was my best friend and then suddenly stopped talking all together, it was pretty tragic. A year later he's been going out with a girl for 8 months :hmm:

What was the point of my story...

Don't get messed around by confused men! :P

Aah I had the exact situation with this one guy but whats worse is that the one day he actually kissed me. Sure, then it was the best day ever, I was so happy, especially because he was straight (apparently). He said ''This is our secret'' and I was over the moon, like happier than I'd ever been (I was madly in love with this guy). But then someone said to him that he spends a lot of time with me, he went totally off with me, said it meant nothing (The kiss) and that we shouldn't even see each other anymore. He was my best friend and then suddenly stopped talking all together, it was pretty tragic. A year later he's been going out with a girl for 8 months :hmm:

What was the point of my story...

Don't get messed around by confused men! :P

Gah! That sucks. Curse all those confused men...then again, I don't think I'd mind a kiss or two from the guy I fancied.

Anyway never mind that. Have a virtual hug on me! :hug:

(NO!! HAVE TWO!!! :hug:

Lol nevermind me then so! Must be your twin! You both have that Robert Patinson thing going on

Did he have a huge grin, permanently?

If not, it wasn't chair!

Gah! That sucks. Curse all those confused men...then again, I don't think I'd mind a kiss or two from the guy I fancied.

Anyway never mind that. Have a virtual hug on me! :hug:

(NO!! HAVE TWO!!! :hug:

I'm sure you would :heh: but hopefully you will find someone you can kiss who isn't straight and there are no complications :D Many fun times then :laughing:

And thanks for the virtual hug :)

Have one back :hug:

Coming out? I'd have to agree with pretty much all of Chair's post. I just started to get so incredibly paranoid about everything I did or said that I couldn't bare it any longer. I didn't think I would ever come out, I was that scared of the idea, now that I have I feel so relieved. The only thing that pushed me to do it was the thought that they will be shocked whenever I say it, weather i'm 16 or 30, so I may aswell just do it now.

...And so I did. I didn't go about it too well, I had no idea what to say so I just uncontrollably blurted it out. My parents were sat watching Celebrity Big Brother (atleast I made it interesting :heh:) and so I sat down and said, "Guys, i'm gay". I then went REALLY red and felt incredibly faint, it was such a weird feeling I thought I was going to pass out! My mom thought I was joking at first just because of the way I said it with no further explanation and when she was like, "seriously?!" I was just like.. "Yeah, erm, sssdknvn" and started mumbling random shit.

I tried to suddenly change the subject to "So, whats going on in big brother, I haven't been watching it". But obviously they were more interested in what I just said :woops:

Funniest part was the fact that my dad was eating a yogurt and as soon as I said it he started choking :laughing:

Two years later and now we laugh about it, so atleast they are accepting :D

...And so I did. I didn't go about it too well, I had no idea what to say so I just uncontrollably blurted it out. My parents were sat watching Celebrity Big Brother (atleast I made it interesting :heh:) and so I sat down and said, "Guys, i'm gay". I then went REALLY red and felt incredibly faint, it was such a weird feeling I thought I was going to pass out! My mom thought I was joking at first just because of the way I said it with no further explanation and when she was like, "seriously?!" I was just like.. "Yeah, erm, sssdknvn" and started mumbling random shit.

I tried to suddenly change the subject to "So, whats going on in big brother, I haven't been watching it". But obviously they were more interested in what I just said :woops:

Funniest part was the fact that my dad was eating a yogurt and as soon as I said it he started choking :laughing:

Two years later and now we laugh about it, so atleast they are accepting :D

haha its nice that you can look back and laugh about it, and your parents accepted it, yay! :smile:

It will come as no surprise to most of you that I often crawl through various gay tumblr and other such blogs. A few things I've picked up over the time I thought I might share.

There is quite a interesting video here of Fox News diva Julie Banderas "interviewing" Westboro Baptist Church leader, Shirley Roper-Phelp. At around 1:01 it starts to get tasty. Every time I see anything about this "church" it astounds me. Speechless.

Here's something to lighten the mood.

Edited by Fresh

I'm gay. I did standup at my college yesterday when I mentioned it... we're really quite liberal here.

I've got a boyfriend as well. (Me on the right)

23vkuo8.jpg

Edited by Hamishmash

Hey pal, welcome to n-europe. As you can see this thread is on it's 351st page now so quite mature but I'm sure you will catch in no time. If someone found my "previously on" posts somewhere they could help. Anyway, nice to have you around!

Hey pal, welcome to n-europe. As you can see this thread is on it's 351st page now so quite mature but I'm sure you will catch in no time. If someone found my "previously on" posts somewhere they could help. Anyway, nice to have you around!

Hey I've just edited my first post. That's actually me on the RIGHT. I thought I was posting a different picture. :P

Can we request another "Previously On2? They are the most epic posts in existence.

I went swimming with a gay friend, and the changing rooms at the uni pool are open-plan like that. Being vaguely attracted to him, but not really, I didn't really know what to do - should I keep talking to him whilst getting changed and act like I normally would with a straight guy, or be silent and make it seem more awkward than it actually is.

I went with the former, but did it really badly, so it was awkward.

He definitely checked me out :heh:

I'm gay. I did standup at my college yesterday when I mentioned it... we're really quite liberal here.

I've got a boyfriend as well. (Me on the right)[/img]

Welcome spüne!:bouncy:

Ah, watching insane, religious people getting their asses handed to them by common sense is so lovely before going to bed. It fills me with joy and happiness. :)

Also, welcome to the forums, Spüne. :)

Tah very much.

My boyfriend lives in Australia and is 5 years older than me (which, when I'm 19 seems to be more like 50 years for my parents...). So yeah... it can be hard. But he's worth it... I'm a standup comedian and I do gigs... but HE'S the funniest person in our house and I just think he can laugh me into bed.

He bought me a ticket to Australia in August/September before uni and I'm saving up to pay him back... it'll will have been a FULL YEAR since I last saw him in August.

Wow....Australia is far. I understand long distance relationships very little. Must be hard.

Hey I've just edited my first post. That's actually me on the RIGHT. I thought I was posting a different picture. :P

Ah I see, I'd love to see your stand up sometime. What kind of things do you do? I'm more into dark comedy myself, the stuff which makes you think "Should I be laughing at this?".

Can we request another "Previously On2? They are the most epic posts in existence.

I would love to do another. The first two are here, and here, retrospectively. There have been a lot of posts since, 8000 odd. and since it took me 2 hours to go through 600 I can't see one coming soon.

I went swimming with a gay friend, and the changing rooms at the uni pool are open-plan like that. Being vaguely attracted to him, but not really, I didn't really know what to do - should I keep talking to him whilst getting changed and act like I normally would with a straight guy, or be silent and make it seem more awkward than it actually is.

I went with the former, but did it really badly, so it was awkward.

He definitely checked me out :heh:

I too am often torn in this situation. Do you keep talking or not? I tend just to mumble to myself.

Tah very much.

My boyfriend lives in Australia and is 5 years older than me (which, when I'm 19 seems to be more like 50 years for my parents...). So yeah... it can be hard. But he's worth it... I'm a standup comedian and I do gigs... but HE'S the funniest person in our house and I just think he can laugh me into bed.

He bought me a ticket to Australia in August/September before uni and I'm saving up to pay him back... it'll will have been a FULL YEAR since I last saw him in August.

Wow, that's some distance. Where abouts in Aus is he?

Tah very much.

...and I worry when I only see the boy every couple of weeks.

That is amazing!