NEurope
Rummy

Drinking

A counterpart the 'Smoking' thread and borne out of some of the opinions creeping into there, I decided to make this thread to stop that turning into it.

So, what are people's opinions of drinking? I'm talking the alcohol kind, not just regular drinking of stuff. Do you approve, disapprove, think it's ok in moderation, think it should be banned etc? What are your opinions on the consumption of alcohol by people, and yourself? What about the issue of age for drinking, and underage drinking, are the laws good enough?

1) I can't stand underage drinkers.

2) Getting totally lashed now and again is perfectly fine.

3) People who are alcoholics should be treated as seriously as crack addicts.

4) It can ruin lives.

Underage drinking is bad, if a 16 year old is getting drunk every weekend they need a severe slap. I have been brought up around people drinking in moderation and there's always been loads of alcohol in the house. In addition my family owns and runs a few pubs/clubs around here.

Drinking is fine as long as someone knows when to stop. I do but sometimes it's fun to just carry on. You only live once and it's your liver. Least this doesn't damage other peoples health unless a drunken yob starts beating on you.

I drink for the taste, not to get drunk-well 95% of the time at least. And drinking in moderation hasn't done anyone anyharm, i mean the irish manage it and do okay.

I think Fresh nailed it on the head pretty well.

I pretty much dont even drink alcohol unless I intend to get drunk. Whats the point? Its expensive, and theres better tasting, cheaper non alcoholic drinks.

That said, Incredible Hulks FTW.

4) It can ruin lives.

True on all counts Mr McFreshington

Well since this topic is nice and wrapped up in one post anyone want to go for a pint?

The law, and society's attitude towards alcohol is all wrong in this country.

Drinking laws should be liberalised and drinking should be encouraged, especially amongst young children. If everyone got onto it from an early age and were encourged to do so by their parents, teenage chavs wouldn't feel the need to go out and get trashed and behave anti-socially. If alcohol was part of the everyday, for example if we had a whisky with our breakfast, a couple of pints at lunch, and a bottle of wine in the afternoon, we wouldn't have to get so drunk on a friday night.

Perhaps a slight exaggeration there, but you get my point.

Underage drinking is bad, if a 16 year old is getting drunk every weekend they need a severe slap.

So you'd slap me?

In modern society around school children, it's seen as more deviant not to drink underage than it is to drink underage. I personally don't have a problem with it, and indeed did it myself up until last week (when I turned 18). As long as they don't cause any trouble and drink sensibly then as far as I'm concerned it's fine.

Last Sunday I was an underage drinker, on the Monday I wasn't. On the Monday I did exactly the same as I would do before hand does that make it OK?

So you'd slap me?

no but perhaps your parents should.

Last Sunday I was an underage drinker, on the Monday I wasn't. On the Monday I did exactly the same as I would do before hand does that make it OK?

I think he was talking about these 14-15 year old yuppies you see plastered in parks and street corners etc.

Drinking laws should be liberalised and drinking should be encouraged, especially amongst young children. If everyone got onto it from an early age and were encourged to do so by their parents, teenage chavs wouldn't feel the need to go out and get trashed and behave anti-socially. If alcohol was part of the everyday, for example if we had a whisky with our breakfast, a couple of pints at lunch, and a bottle of wine in the afternoon, we wouldn't have to get so drunk on a friday night.

I agree actually with this. If drinking wasn't a bit thing, kids wouldn't be likely to do it to such an extreme extent as they seem to be these days. Though if anyone did that drinking regime every day i'd say they had a problem! lol

Heh, sure glad you're not running the country. :bouncy:

4) It can ruin lives.

This man speaketh the truth!! The only times I get totally smashed are on my Birthday...although that didn't go so well last time! :indeed:

I generally like to be one of the more controlled people in a group!

When I was in Rome, the waiter told us that children there get given a glass of wine with meals from the age of 10 or sometimes even younger. As Fields said, this is the way to go about it, if they they're taught from a young age to drink in moderation they will carry on doing this.

When I was in Rome, the waiter told us that children there get given a glass of wine with meals from the age of 10 or sometimes even younger. As Fields said, this is the way to go about it, if they they're taught from a young age to drink in moderation they will carry on doing this.

This may sound stupid by the attitude to drink in Europe is a lot different from over here. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but I would be less inclined to think so.

Bullshit, self righteous crap. Why is underage drinking bad? Because it's against the law? Fuck off. I'm with Moria, there is no fucking difference.

Drinking is fine, unless you're going out and having 10 pints every day.

If we took the attatude of 99% of continental europe then there would be less of a problem. My parents let me taste/drink alcohol for as long as i can remember, my earlyest memory is when i was like 7 and they gave me a sip of there wine and i was like wtf is this crap, they have never stopped me drinking and now i drink really rarely like maybe 1 a year tops.

Drinking is ace, its a laugh with ya mates and an escape from reality, good times are had when drinking from my experience :D

I have like maybe a few bottles after work in the week, if its sunny then i normally cant help but have one in the sun.

But on the weekend, i usually drink heavy at least 1 of the nights, and get stoned the other. I like it, its fun, and nice n social unlike crack :D

And underage drinking, no problem with it, unless its stupidly under-age, like below 12, iv underage drank before and its no more than a good laugh with a few of ya mates, and being underage makes it that bit more exciting, people need to lighten up a bit.

Im offeneded by your crack comment me and my freind have i right laugh on rocks.... but seriously, saying stupidly underage is stupid. Look at the rates of teen pregnancy then look on the contenant with a more relaxed attitude to sex and so they have lower teen prenancy, by trying to protect people its just pushing them into it, (I understand thats not everyone, but it is some)

if u smoke crack u deserve a slap - its that simple

CRACK IS WHACK!

houston032806.jpg

Hardly, alcoholics are encouraged by the government to help boost there coffers, crack heads deserve a severe kick in the head.

Not that I am or have ever been an alcoholic.

Hardly, alcoholics are encouraged by the government to help boost there coffers, crack heads deserve a severe kick in the head.

Not that I am or have ever been an alcoholic.

Who picks up the bill when all these alcoholics need to go into hospital? or smash up public goods? Government, they spend a hell of a lot of money cleaning up after people.

I 'started' drinking probably around 15. If I hadn't done that, and hadn't experienced what I have both personally and vicariously, I wouldn't be as 'sensible' as I am now. It takes a while to get to know your limits, and what to do/avoid.

I like my cider, and am known to be the only one drinking in a party of two - but hey, I'm doing damage to none except myself. Except maybe a little too much violence here and there..

I know you can have fun without alcohol, but you know you can have plenty of fun with it too. When I was younger, it opened up me and my mates, so we talked about more personal stuff - it basically brought us closer. Which was nice.

My mum knew when I said "going to the beach tonight" or "I'll be staying over at Rob's" that it meant "i'm getting drunk". Parents aren't stupid. She basically confronted me and said "look, I know you're drinking, so just don't lie to me. I'd prefer it if you did it here rather than at the beach, but tell me when you'll be home and be home".

So from then, I had gatherings at mine, and we had pizza and films and beer every couple of weeks, and nobody got hurt, raped or molested in any way!

Except that once...

i mean the irish manage it and do okay.

Wow - 2 replies and Irish is mentioned

:indeed:

I think he was talking about these 14-15 year old yuppies you see plastered in parks and street corners etc.

Yeah i was refering to who takeo is on about, but also tho kids who come to you in the pub and go:

"Could you buy me a drink *hic* pleaseeeee"

I just tell them to fuck off, kids.