NEurope
UK

Smoking

My mum smokes, and I wish she didn't. I don't want to.

We were on the way to getting drunk at my mate's, my smoker mate had one and i asked for a pull, to see how it was. I liked the taste, so i only ever had a few pulls when we wree there getting drunk. Lately i've been doing it more, but i'm nowhere near addicted atm, i don't do it enough to get addicted.

*tut tuts* :heh: I haven't tried it although at parties for some reason I always get curious and ask my friend to smoke.. she doesn't let me but she goes and does it herself even though she doesn't normally smoke. Its a bad habit, I work in a shop which sells a LOT of cigarrettes and I hate the people who come in reeking of it and when you see their teeth etc.. I'm deffo not gona smoke. Although I don't dislike smokers, I'm not a fan of them doing it really close to us and not caring.

System_error you are one of the considerate people, thanks.

I'd like to point out that a lot of people aren't smokers because they think it "looks cool"

I'd like to point out that a lot of people aren't smokers because they think it "looks cool"

Paying to let yourself be killed very slowly while physically harming others around you isn't very cool in my book. :blank:

i hate hate hate hate smoking

i actually was estatic when the smokin ban came into place here (ni)

i also hate people drinking - 2 things you will NEVER catch me doing

quite ironic that my parents both drink and smoke

i would preferably not be friends with someone who smokes ( except my parents)

not gonna put my life at risk just cause they want to:blank:

Never drink? Not even socially? Thats not exactly a bad habit unless it becomes a problem.

Smoking on the other hand is a really disgusting habit, though people always smoke around me and i like the smell, which has made me want to try one but i just think, "I'd rather live a life than die at 60".

Paying to let yourself be killed very slowly while physically harming others around you isn't very cool in my book. :blank:

woot - someone who thinks the way i do....

i apologise for my last post - im a very angry little person due to my home circumstances...lol

Never drink? Not even socially? Thats not exactly a bad habit unless it becomes a problem.

Smoking on the other hand is a really disgusting habit, though people always smoke around me and i like the smell, which has made me want to try one but i just think, "I'd rather live a life than die at 60".

i dont drink because i dont want to loose control of my mind - not even a little bit ( i read that in a post by someone on the forum - i agree with it completly)

i dont drink because i dont want to loose control of my mind - not even a little bit ( i read that in a post by someone on the forum - i agree with it completly)

I drink, but only socially, and, being a bit of a girl, I only drink a couple of WKD's when I drink at all.

"Smoking is for fags."

Had to get that in there before anyone else did :D

Lol the ironic thing is that most of the gay guys I know smoke.

I drink, but only socially, and, being a bit of a girl, I only drink a couple of WKD's when I drink at all.

yeh.... read my angry post..

bad experience = me no drinking...

plus it means i have more money

i work with people who drink everyweekend and they are amazed that i have 600++ pounds in my account from working in december (++ all the money i had before spending some on pressies and stuff)..

.. and cause they drink - they have none!

Passive Smoking argument

Drinking problem

My room, my rules and I admit that if you can't arrange with your parents it seems to be a serious issue for you. In public places outside of buildings I doubt passive smoking is a big problem - after all you inhale millions of diseases every second outside wether its bacteria, car fumes, industry waste - so even if I smoke a few steps near you that is your least problem.

In restaurants, bars I assume you either avoid smoking areas or only visit places with a no-smoke policy. Where is the problem? A general ban on something which has been legal for centuries does pretty much cut into my righ for freedom of choice. Whats next? No chocolate? No "fat" food? No cars?

For the problem with alcohol and your parents I guess that might a bit to private to talk about here. But drinking also depends on the viewpoint. When do I have a problem? When I need Tequilla in the morning? When the only way to relax is drinking a beer?

Lol the ironic thing is that most of the gay guys I know smoke.

How odd: all of the gay people I know don't...

yeh.... read my angry post..

bad experience = me no drinking...

plus it means i have more money

.. and cause they drink - they have none!

If I buy a bicycle instead of a Ferrari I save a few 100 grand ....

Some people like to drink - because they like the taste, the feeling and the atmosphere I don't think that is soo wrong. If you are not able to control yourself complain at mother nature - she made your genes.

my room and chocolately crap

if you eat chocolate - u arent harming anyone else physically....

... but if u smoke -

domestic exposure to secondhand smoke in the UK causes around 2,700 deaths in people aged 20-64 and a further 8,000 deaths a year among people aged 65 years or older.

i dont want to be a statistic

i cant wait till i move out

smoke free house here i come =)

yeh and the things i may say are private - but only like 2 people on here are ever gonna meet me ( well they already have) and 1 already knows about all this...

and i doubt intensely that my parents will ever find out

and im sick and tired of keeping it quiet

it should just be banned outright, simple as. If there was a way of tracing who's smoke it was that finished you off then they should technically go down for manslaughter! lol

drinking though, seeing as most people have enough sense to only drink what they can handle then thats not harming anyone else around them so I dont really see that as a problem so to speak.

Drinking a couple of beers with mates cant be called bad really can it?

I don't smoke, and i never plan to. Imo it's stupid idea and if you do smoke well then your an idiot. There's no point really, however i think the reason that I look down on it is because as a kid my parents (especially my mum) got the message through to me that it's just bad. I think the fact that I want to be a doctor also has something to do with it.

One of my best mates at school has started smoking, and tbh i think she's addicted and using the whole 'it calms me down and makes me feel relaxed' excuse. It's a shame cos she's such a wonderful person and is really attractive (she'd be a good MILF) but i'd hate to see her in 30 years time looking all crap and smelling awful.

if you eat chocolate - u arent harming anyone else physically....

... but if u smoke -

i dont want to be a statistic

i cant wait till i move out

smoke free house here i come =)

yeh and the things i may say are private - but only like 2 people on here are ever gonna meet me ( well they already have) and 1 already knows about all this...

and i doubt intensely that my parents will ever find out

and im sick and tired of keeping it quiet

Chocolate doesn't harm anyone except our health system and the people over using it with other unhealthy food.

And this whole passive smoking studies are correct but they only apply to restaurants, bars - and nobody forces you to visit a restaurant where you can smoke. And passive smoking outside is not worth to be mentioned in a study. So avoid bars where people smoke ... and since you don't like drinking I guess you don't need bars at all...

Compared to cars smoking is a lot less worse. I can't decide staying in my house to not get killed by a drunken/drug using/street rambo ....

it should just be banned outright, simple as. If there was a way of tracing who's smoke it was that finished you off then they should technically go down for manslaughter! lol

drinking though, seeing as most people have enough sense to only drink what they can handle then thats not harming anyone else around them so I dont really see that as a problem so to speak.

Drinking a couple of beers with mates cant be called bad really can it?

Uhm when you drive it may hurt people? You might cross a red streetlight when you are drunk and ruining the life of a innocent driver because he has to live with the fact that he killed you. You might get aggressive when you drink.

I smoke a cigar once a year when I finish my exams. Its some wierd tradition that I have with a few of my friends. I'm kinda regretting the cigar I had yesterday cos I can still taste it now even after cleaning my mouth about ten times!

Then why would someone smoke?

With the information we get today, its a stupid thing to start, even if you're trying to socialize, it should be part of every IQ test.

"Do you smoke?"

"Yes."

"Ok, you start with a -40 penalty."

I smoke. Started smoking just tobacco about 15 months ago, because I wanted to give up weed.

I don't do it to look cool - I don't really think anyone does it to 'look' cool. What is this, the 80's? But smoking can be social at college and at work - a sub-culture of people who have nothing in common but smoking almost feels like a minority group! We all have to be the baddies in the work place, so we can all complain together at break times :)

I don't get all that passive smoking stuff. I mean, sure, I try to smoke away from people and not breathe it at them because that's the polite thing to do - but I don't need random people who come and stand next to me to tell me my smoking is killing them, or me.

Why do people smoke? Because they're addicted. Physically, as well as mentally. Why do they start is the main thing - I'm sure peer pressure is a large part; the social interaction everyone experiences is how you justify social and moral rights and wrongs. You can blame 'peer pressure' in that sense for a hell of a lot more than just smoking - drinking, crime, racism for a start.

I had my first cigarette when I was about 16, while drunk. My mate told me "it makes getting drunk better!" and in a sense, it does. That little extra high... But, of course, you soon trade in that fun high for... no registerable affect besides a daily cough.

I'm not saying I don't know it's bad for me, i'm just saying it's my choice. I do my best to make sure I don't affect anyone else. I understand the new smoking ban, and think it's fair enough - but shouldn't there be facilities for smokers too? If a pub or a club has two rooms not connected?

And I don't understand why railway stations open to the air are now non-smoking areas.. Doesn't stop me, I know. But I figure so long as i keep it away from anyone else - go to the end of the platform or something - it's ok.

and Magic Buttons - it sounds to me like alcohol is more of a problem in your household. Don't confuse the two, and don't think anyone who drinks and/or smokes behaves like the people you know.

From time to time, when drunk, I've smoked a bit. I personally am all in favour of the smoking ban though, it's quite nice coming home sometimes not smelling of smoke, or having a nice non smoky atmosphere. I don't see it causing all that much trouble either, people can just go outside for a smoke, though I imagine some people'll be all like 'but i dont want to walk through a big waft of smoke to get into my smoke free pub' and it'll be like you can smoke within 10 metres of a pub or something ridiculous.

My immediate family smoke, as do a few of my friends and I can't wait for the public smoking ban. I think as a whole it's a good move to try and discourage people from smoking. If smokers want to be pedantic about things then they could argue the amount of tax that the government gets helps pay for a lot of things. This is true, it helps pay for the NHS which then treats people dying of smoking related diseases and cancers. So if the whole country was to stop smoking say today, in a few years there is likely to be a significant improvement in the health of the nation and so a decrease in the funding necessary for the NHS. I was having this argument with my family on sunday.

To start smoking now is totally stupid (defo at least -40 on an IQ test), there is no benefit or real enjoyment from it after a while. You just get used to the physical movement of putting your hand to your mouth and sucking, and the nicotine high peters out fairly soon.

Hopefully the ban and any future tax increases on cigarettes et al will lead to more people thinking about stopping and not even think about starting.

Meh.

As most of my smoking friends point out:

You could die from passive smoking at 70

Or you could die of some other unrelated cancer at 50

Or you could be hit by a bus tomorrow.

I don't smoke, and I think my best mate should try stopping for the sake of his general fitness, but I don't really cause a fuss about it anymore -unless I can't find any other conversation piece. I've had one or two, but I only have them now when two conditions are met at the same time: 1, totally depressed about something (not happening any time soon :D) and 2, very drunk so I barely remember it :heh:

Although more than once I have thought "well, 1 more wouldn't hurt" or looked forward to the next time I am drunk enough. It hasn't worked that way though, I've got pretty good willpower, and don't honestly like the taste at all.

why is being "cool/sexy" so important to some people

just be yourself!

Yea, yea. Most people are/were susceptible to peer pressure at some point. It's not just smoking. Everything from getting the latest fashion, spending lots of money for the coolest/newest brand of mobile phone, joining in when someone is being made fun of, going along to clubs and/or pubs you don't even like. "Be yourself" is kind of cliché - most of the "cool" and "popular" kids at school were significantly happier than the "uncool" kids who got bullied. So if you see an easy opportunity to look cool, and it's going to make your life better, it makes sense.

Yeah I hate smoking too.

It does nothing other than cause cancer....Whooo! Thats awesome! I wish I was cool, and smoked! [/sarcasm]

nope, managed to quit last october :D

and the whole "looking cool" thing with smoking is stupid, everyone says ppl smoke cos they think they look cool, their wrong, ppl smoke cos their addicted to it.

I started because of smoking weed, wenever i fancied a spliff and i had none, or i was in the pub or summin, i just had a ciggy instead, leading onto fulltime smoking, but not anymore :D