NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Balfron

Is it racist to be anti-immigration?

Calling some one a rag head or a nigger is no worse than calling someone an asshole. The intention is exactly the same.

Not if the descriptive word is not the emphasis of the insult.

Sometimes saying things like that is just human nature. It's just automatic to distance yourself from someone you don't like, just like it's automatic for most people to find similarities to people they like.

edit: Didn't word myself properly there. "Rag head" and "nigger" are clearly the emphasis of an insult - "black" isn't always the emphasis of an insult.

It's based on people from S.Asia aka

Bangladesh

British Indian Ocean Territory

Bhutan

India

Maldives

Nepal

Pakistan

Sri Lanka

To be anti-immigration for a genuine economic reason (and I mean genuine, you have to know what the problems would be and have evidence that they would happen), then no, it's not racist.

To be anti-immigration for a genuine economic reason (and I mean genuine, you have to know what the problems would be and have evidence that they would happen), then no, it's not racist.

If people are upset that there's an association between an anti-immigration standpoint and racist views, then they want to point the finger of blame at groups like the NF and the BNP who've hijacked that stance as the spearhead of their campaign.

If people are upset that there's an association between an anti-immigration standpoint and racist views, then they want to point the finger of blame at groups like the NF and the BNP who've hijacked that stance as the spearhead of their campaign.

If the current government had the balls to face up to the current situation and do something about it, than these extreme parties would be screwed. If anything the government are fueling the extreme views of these parties.

Depends on the rationale behind their logic.

"I'm against immigration because they're black and we have enough of those here" = Clearly racist.

Personally I'm against immigration because we seem to be bursting at the seams with people.

What Evil said, depends on logic. I have a feeling most anti-immigration sentiments come from xenophobia (not really racism), though good economic reasons can be thought of. It's too harsh to be completely against immigration (not letting any foreigners in at all), though - that is xenophobia almost by definition.

One thing that annoys me is that this country is supposed to be multicultural, yet every time I see minorities, they ALWAYS stick to their own kind. What's the point in being multicultural, if every one is gonna stick to their own kind anyway?? Pointless.

Thank you.

You know what, I'll probably be called racist for it, but I cannot stand "gooks" (Can someone please tell me the non-offensive word for this, I honestly don't know it. It's what I've been brought up around). You must know what I mean. It's quite a stereotype, but they actually DO smell, and I've never, EVER seen any of them smile. They always have a face like a slapped arse, and no fucking manners. They get on the bus every morning and not once to they say please or thank you to the bus driver, or move for elderly people, and quite often take up both seats. It drives me up the fucking wall. Not to mention when they're serving you in shops, they cannot be fucked to give you any help, and stand there looking pissed off that you've asked for something.

I have never met one that hasn't been like what I've just listed.

I'm not about to go around on a mad killing spree because of it, I can keep these feelings to myself and I'll have to learn to live with it.

Sorry if I've offended anyone. I have quite a strong feeling about this subject, as do most of my friends. Perhaps it's just this area, I don't know, but what I do know is that they tend to ruin my days out, or bus rides.

On another note, I have no problems with black people themselves. They tend to have great manners and are usually very friendly people. Just so you know this isn't simply a skin colour thing. :P

Dyson that was totally off subject.

I kinda get what you mean but others may not. you might want to elaborate more other wise you could get a negative reaction.

You know, I thought that whilst writing it, but seeing one walk past my house and spit on the wall (I doubt it was meant as an insult, just a passing by comment) has gotten me in to a rage and I really needed to get that off my chest. This seemed like the best place to put it really.

Sorry for any offense caused.

I think its really hypocrit to say they won't fit your society, when British people don't even try it, what happens in Spain is ridiculous.

I think its really hypocrit to say they won't fit your society, when British people don't even try it, what happens in Spain is ridiculous.

What is the ridiculus part of what happens in spain? Just a bit of an elaboration would be nice.

What is the ridiculus part of what happens in spain? Just a bit of an elaboration would be nice.

They have entire villages just for them, with their TV, with pubs, they're schools (Just imagine the Poles opening their own school in Britain). They're basically colonies. Even all those wouldn't be as bad if they had shown a bit of interest on the natives culture.

young couples not getting granted homes by the council due to immigrants having to be housed - i get pissed off tbh...

That's what annoys me. Especially in the area I live in.

They have entire villages just for them, with their TV, with pubs, they're schools (Just imagine the Poles opening their own school in Britain). They're basically colonies. Even all those wouldn't be as bad if they had shown a bit of interest on the natives culture.

But it is like that all over the place in the Brittain. Especially in people from a middle eastern origin. They have mosks (sp?) and they have their tv channels and they have their own schools. But we have to live with that or we are racist. But when we do it some where else it is not accepted why?

But it is like that all over the place in the Brittain. Especially in people from a middle eastern origin. They have mosks (sp?) and they have their tv channels and they have their own schools. But we have to live with that or we are racist. But when we do it some where else it is not accepted why?

Well, both are wrong, but we shouldn't start deporting people because of it.

I have a question. I have 2 friends who have recently moved to London, they're both IT technicians but work at a McDonald, and they're staying there waiting an opportunity to enter one of your unis. How would you categorize them? Are they acceptable, or should they be sent back home?

(it's just for my curiosity, and to know what to expect if I ever decide to emigrate.)

I just think if they decide to come to our country, get housed and live of benefits then stuff em', go drive em all off a cliff. (And any of the british chavs that do that aswell)

But if they come to our country and make a living for themselves and contribute to our economy then good on them, keep em' coming.

They are here for uni and are working and spending the money here, paying tax etc. To me that is acceptable. I take it they have to pay for their courses?

They are here for uni and are working and spending the money here, paying tax etc. To me that is acceptable. I take it they have to pay for their courses?

I think they will be helped by those European programs (such as Erasmus). But they do pay for everything else.

Ireland is becoming and increasingly multicultural society which in my opnion is only a good thing.

Poles, Brazilians, Chinese, Latvians and Estonians sre only a small sample of the nationalities who now call Ireland home.

Ireland has always been a very close minded country and with an influx of immigrants we're slowly eroding that close mindedness.

These immigrants are driving the construction industy in this country and have done so for the last number of years - they are doing very well out of it and therefore so is Ireland.

Racism is not acceptable to me, but I think that immigration and racism will go hand in hand wherever you are. There is something quite unnerving see many many foreigners (who mightn't speak good english or any!) take all the employment in an area leaving natives without.

Ireland needs immigrants - about 1 in every 100 people here is an immigrant and we need more - we need them to keep our economy afloat and there are the jobs here for them.

Come to Ireland! We'll have a pint of plain and over it discuss the weather in Riga, the politics of Warsaw and the beaches in Rio :D

All we have is really poles but few exemptions.. I hate racism and just about everything descrimination but it's in human nature to hate something that is different to the norm.

Yes, it is. Foreigners have as much right to be here as people who are born here. After all, it's just a fucking piece of land.

And i second that too

Is it ok to be racist?

No Of Course Not

Does having more immigrants in a country decrease the home population’s standard of living?

There are evidence for and against this

Can we demand British people lower their standard of living by having an increased number of immigrants in the country?

No

At what stage does an immigrant become a native?

Toughie

Can a first generation immigrant ever perfectly integrate?

No

Most immigrants come here either seeking asylum or seeking jobs. The latter automatically contribute to society.

To be honest, British people do the same. See ex-pats who live in Spain without "integrating" into Spanish culture.

Just seen a war veteran on the news saying "I fought for this country and if the Britons of today are too lazy to pick strawberries, let all the foreigners in"

It's been a long time since my previous post. I accept every immigrant who is willing to pay his/her taxes, behaves like a proper citizen, is willing to learn the official language and understands that different people have their own traditions and important things, which he/she should respect. Unfortunately, there are some immigrants who are not willing to integrate. They might commit crimes, stay home and do nothing etc. The ones who commit serious crimes (rape, murder) should be sent back to their own country.

Racism isn't okay. It's not okay to prefer a person over another just because of their skin colour. But being against immigration is acceptable.

Sign in to follow this