NEurope
Shorty

"Meaningless Post" thread changes.

Holy Moley, that chat link does work! Apparantly Moroigo sucks. This is like stumbling upon the ancient ruins of a great civilisation.

Do people really post spam in the MP thread to raise post counts? I didn't think anyone really gave a crap about them. Anyway, yeah that thread does seem to get a little out of control occassionally. Can't hurt to gently remind people that spam is not big nor clever.

Read the second new rule :heh:

You might need the latest Java installed and to make sure pop-ups aren't being blocked. Alternatively grab an irc client like the one in my sig, pick one of the "Quakenet" servers out of the list when you connect and join the #cube-europe room.

Even after installing the latest Java thing, it still won't load. And there don't seem to be IRC clients for Macs... not like I even know how IRC works cause I've never used it before.

irc client for macs - http://www.ircle.com/ :)

Do people really post spam in the MP thread to raise post counts? I didn't think anyone really gave a crap about them.
That one I posted in the spoiler tag, the one that actually said "looks for a reason to raise postcount"? Yeah, I didn't make that up. It's an actual deleted post.

Throwing my 2 cents in I think this isnt being handled the best way

In that post where it states the new rules, its pretty hostile basically all you guys want is FM X to post something meaningless, then FM Y to post something meaningless and so on and so forth.

You guys make the point that this isnt a chat room, and though true enough why is there a sub forum called "General Chit Chat" with the sub title "This is the place to chat about anything! Go for it!"? This doesnt make sense. Spamming of course is rightly annoying but why cant I go into the meaningless post, or even the General Chit Chat forum and say how Im feeling, what Im doing or even how my fellow FMers are? Also I dont understand why we are being encouraged to make more threads, when we can use whats there and save the amount of space being taken up by pointless threads like "How do I turn the Sky remote on?"

I run a website myself and understand it gets pretty frstrating but I dont go pushing my weight around which I cant help but feel people are with these new rules. Cracking down on spaming, understandable, the rest was just taking the piss really. Closing it wont achieve much, its not as if you guys hadnt created this thread and stickied the announcement either, but horses for courses. Id just be glad people want to use my website before going medieval on their asses.

I really like this website and forum, so Im not looking to get banned or anything but just had to vent really.

/vent

I'm not sure that everyone is really reading the post about the changes :angry: some people are just giving it a quick scan then bouncing over here to complain.

Although I discussed some of the misuse in comparison to the original poster's intentions - I clearly stated that we're not actually going out of our way way to forcibly change the current use of the thread. On the whole things will carry on the way they always have.

The change being brought to attention here is the punishment for what we are considering spam.

I'm not sure that everyone is really reading the post about the changes :angry: some people are just giving it a quick scan then bouncing over here to complain.

Although I discussed some of the misuse in comparison to the original poster's intentions - I clearly stated that we're not actually going out of our way way to forcibly change the current use of the thread. On the whole things will carry on the way they always have.

The change being brought to attention here is the punishment for what we are considering spam.

Cant help but feel thats being directed at me

Firstly yes Ive read it and if you wanted everyone to understand you exactly you should have shortened it by about 100 words and just said

"The change being brought to attention here is the punishment for what we are considering spam"

Like I said cracking down on spamming is perfectly desirable, the rest just taking the piss really

It was only partly aimed at you. And I like writing long things.

Edit: But I did make a point of making the important points bold. And I would like to reiterate, just for the sake of my already minimal popularity, that I only wrote this up - it's not like it's something I personally decided to enforce.

Like I said cracking down on spamming is perfectly desirable, the rest just taking the piss really

If it wasn't locked no one would've noticed the rules other than the rest of the people who posted on the same page as them.

It's 24 hours, deal with it.

It was only partly aimed at you. And I like writing long things.

Edit: But I did make a point of making the important points bold. And I would like to reiterate, just for the sake of my already minimal popularity, that I only wrote this up - it's not like it's something I personally decided to enforce.

Well thats the downfall really, more short and concise and there would be no room for personal interpretation differing from your intended one

The official term for it is noise which theres too much of in that long post

Sure its closed for 24 hours, and I dont care really so I can deal with it Moira, I just think the attitude and the way this is being brought about is all wrong, but like I said its just my two cents.

I think it should be deleted all together/locked forever. I think it has lead to the non-creation of many threads and stifled the forum somewhat.

In the same way, the meaningless thread has stopped the creation of many needless threads. I like the forum tidy, and the meaningless thread helps make things tidy.

I think the name "meaningless" is misleading.

The posts in that thread do mean something.

They give the whole site character, and help build the community aspect.

I think it should be deleted all together/locked forever. I think it has lead to the non-creation of many threads and stifled the forum somewhat.

Non-creation of what kind of threads though? Most of the chat in the MPT is simply chit-chat and not worthy of its own thread. You're more likely to get an answer to a simple question in the MPT than if you had to create a new one (because there'd be tons of those then) and people would just not bother. The board would get flooded with pretty useless topics then. At least now it's all combined in one thread.

Plus it allows for some more "getting to know each other" talk which you wouldn't get from other threads.

Totally agree.....and that was exactly what a lot of people thought a while ago. The 'new rules' that have been apparently made up just won't work. But then again, you can't have a 'half a spam thread'............so it's got to be full wack like it is now or gone all together.

Agree with Chair....

Colin can you clarify what you mean? Why does it have to be all or none....that seems a bit ridiculous.

What about a Meaningless Post board inside General?

We could all just post away in there as per MPoTD Thread now and have General reserved for general threads as it is now?

We could all just post away in there as per MPoTD Thread now and have General reserved for general threads as it is now?

Interesting idea.

So instead of having a thread for people to spam, lets encourage spammers creating they're own threads?

And really, thanks to this forum's limited user titles no body gives a crap about post count. Not even supposed spammers, they're just taking a piss at this internet stigma that is spam.

You are a man of wise words.

No.

I took "visable" post counts away when we moved over to these new boards to try and combat the spamming and elite groups and views which has worked very well. We don't wanna go back to those days.

I don't mind the meaningless thread to be honest, infact I post in there myself quite a lot but it has just become a spam fest of late which no one likes especially us evil Admins.

The new rules are a good thing and are backed by all the staff so please adhere to them.

Evening people.

I personally think this has been blown out of all proportion. To me it seems like it is a muscle flexing exercise.

Lock it for 24hours? what is that going to achieve? nothing just show that the mods can do it.

As for the chat room, the link at top of the page doesn't work. how about getting it working before you go throwing your weight around?

I have nothing against the mods what so ever and they do a great job on here. but i will critisis where i feel necessary.

I feel this could have been handled better.

The chat function works perfectly well, and even if it didn't get HydraIRC or something similar, it much better than a crappy Java app.

Would a simpler solution be to stop any posts in that thread from contributing to your post count? I'm sure this can be done right?

Just an idea.

I think we tried doing that to no success. Although I think it rather detracts from the point - we don't want a spam thread, which if we did your proposal its sorta' like saying that can do what they want in there since it wont count.

Heh, if i had my way.. it would :heh:

In the same way, the meaningless thread has stopped the creation of many needless threads. I like the forum tidy, and the meaningless thread helps make things tidy.

I like the random odd threads though.. it keeps the forum more lively. Its much nicer to see a busy forum than one with which the MPT has grown 20 pages in a day. Plus, to any n00bs out thee that might want to join - could be put off by a 50k post thread.

With most of the staff, I think the general consensus is that they prefer a busy forum, compared to a busy singular thread.

Anwyay, it'll be open soon enough.

Hey, quit picking on the Longy.

I think they're doing what needs to be done, imo. I like the thread, as it's great to have a little discussion or get something off your chest that may not entirely need a thread of its own. However, I feel that sometimes a lot of people really do, for want of a better sentence, take the piss.

I'd like to see more individual threads appearing, even if it is about your life, or something personal to you. We are not a one-thread forum.

Looking down GCC, I can see a lot of various threads, and we need more of that: Variation. We need more creativity when it comes to threads, and we need diversity.

Cmaaaan, do eeet. Do eeet naw!

Fierce has spoken. Do not disobey.

P.S Good to see you a round, even if it is only a little. Hope things are ok matey :)