NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

The BBC Finally Gives Us A GOOD Computer Games Show!

Holy crap!

From Shacknews:

Ever seen Consolevania ? It's an internet-based video program about games. Episodes tend to come out every month (well, they're supposed to, anyway), and they can be up to an hour long. They're filled with reviews, diatribes, and sketches, and are a whole lot better and funnier than you might expect. A while back, it looked like the guys behind it might be signing a deal with the BBC to get their own televised program, but after months of no news, I assumed it fell through. Looks like that's not the case. A new show, videoGaiden, will be airing on the BBC locally in Scotland and via cable and satellite in the rest of the UK.

"Ditching the ground trod before, videoGaiden will be a perfect fusion of sketch and review, and will do for videogames what Top Gear does for cars--even if you hate the whole gaming world, you'll still find it funny and engaging. And therefore, keep watching. ... This is a show that's serious about its subject, yet still manages to keep its tongue wedged firmly in its cheek."

It's extraordinarily unlikely that the show will ever be broadcast ouside of the UK, so for the rest of us, let's hope for DVDs, eh? It'll be a pleasant surprise if these guys succeed; gaming television today could use some variety. In the meantime, check out some episodes of Consolevania.

Its going to start Nov 4th on BBC2 at 11PM.

Guardian Source:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2005/10/20/bbc_gets_game.html

All i can say is, thank the gods. BBC, i love you.

I'm pretty sure there's something like six episodes, each being 10-15 mins long.

So they're not taking it too seriously just yet.

Four days isn't all that old JonSt :P Besides, i only found out when it popped up on my Shacknews RSS. So in that case, its quite new.

Sounds interesting, I'll guess I'll give it a whirl. I don't like Top Gear so it better not be like that.

Four days isn't all that old JonSt :P Besides, i only found out when it popped up on my Shacknews RSS. So in that case, its quite new.

If i had been wearing the same pair of socks for four days id consider that old socks, just like i consider this old news.

If i had been wearing the same pair of socks for four days id consider that old socks, just like i consider this old news.

There's always one.

If there's nothing for you to discuss then why bother?

Anyway, I can't see it ever toping Gamesmaster! :wink:

November 4 on BBC2 Scotland. Viewers in the rest of Britain will be able to catch it on satelite and cable.

Why does only Scotland get it on BBC2? Are there more Scottish gamers or something. :indeed:

*shakes fist at broken Freeview box*

Gamesmaster was good and so was channel 4's other late night video games show: Bits.

I dont think this show will turn up on Freeview, unless the BBC frees up a slot on BBC3.

I'm in the current process of pitching a entertainment show to a few indepedent producers for C4 and the Beeb. It's a show involving and concentrating on the film and games industry. Quite a lot of interest has been shown and a pilot was filmed in April.

:D

I wonder if I can get it on cable... A good VG show is surely missed

I think Bits was good too.

Surely it's gotta beat Cybernet, some of the pap we have to put up with these days eh?! ha ha!

will be airing on the BBC locally in Scotland and via cable and satellite in the rest of the UK.

Woot! This must be the only good program we've got apart from Still Game :D

Anyway, I can't see it ever toping Gamesmaster! :wink:

Gamesmater... *sigh* the good old days, and the only really good video game related TV show. I miss it.

The rest have sucked tbh, though I never really saw Bits so can't say anything about it. I really hope BBC can make this decent enough.

We get it cause scotland rule and the rest of you suck FACT.

I wouldn't exactly say that cause today sucked but at least we can laugh at them :D

So, for cable/satellite viewers it'll be on at the same time (Nov 4th, 11pm) then?

I don't see how that's going to work, I don't get BBC2 scotland on my cable, just normal english BBC2.

Gamesmaster was awesome. I suppose "When games Attack" is quite good.

Does the BBC Scotland in Sky work for this? Last I checked it seemed like it was just BBC with the name Scotland.

Surely it's gotta beat Cybernet,
I actually think Cybernet does an OK job; all the consoles covered evenly, console news, events covered such as E3 and each episode usually has a very up to date trailer or two. And whilst the reviews don't have a score, they show you a good amount of the game and the comments aren't that bad.

However; when i watch it i know that i could do a much better job and I'm usually miles ahead of them on info, but for the casual gamer (who doesn't check internet news or read magazines etc...) it's pretty good.

This new programme sounds like it could be good though,

and i LOVE Top Gear!!

topgear owns

ummm, in UK there is a show at 4 : 00 am about games reviews etc

neva seen it tho, get too tired

Sign in to follow this