NEurope
Din

Metroid Prime

Whether the puzzle is hard or not, and regardless of how beautiful it is or isn't, as soon as the puzzle clicks and all the pieces begin to come together, you get a small high. Once you get this high, you keep coming back for more, but you can't get it from the same game over and over, you already know the puzzles by the second run. This is why we come back and continue to buy the sequels.

It's like when you buy Coca Cola or sweets, you like the taste, so you buy more, even when you know it's bad for you. It's like a drug.

Good point, but that doesnt really explain it because the puzzles arent really getting harder or even much different. Why do you get a high (i know i do but...) even if the puzzle is actually quite simple. As ive said, puzzles in games could be brought to a whole new level, the puzzle genre/part of game at the moment could be further defined and improved with more realistic puzzles that dont give you the solutions on a plate.

Well, if games make puzzles too hard or obscure, then they fall in that category of off beat puzzles for which you really require a guide. One puzzle from Silent Hill comes to mind... the piano playing one. Resident Evil is also known for a bit of oddball puzzles that kind of stretch logic.

Well, if games make puzzles too hard or obscure, then they fall in that category of off beat puzzles for which you really require a guide. One puzzle from Silent Hill comes to mind... the piano playing one. Resident Evil is also known for a bit of oddball puzzles that kind of stretch logic.

Resident Evil puzzles vary from superb to bizarre. The problem with bizarre puzzles are that they can ruin the fun in a game as the raise frustration without logic.

More people need to give Prime another chance. Found some Nintendo fans who said they hadn't played any of the prime games, i promptly pointed them to an eBay auction where Prime was going for £8 but it now price.

I dont understand people slagging this game off either, theres nothing wrong with it imo, it was pretty much the best game of the last generation, im currently playing through it again on hard dificulty, just getting ready to go up against omega pirate and im cackin maself.

Hey! A Metroid Prime thread!

Truly the best game of the last generation, this game could immerse better than most games.

-Beautiful graphics and monster design. Some of them are creative;

-Atmospheric sound and some memorable tunes (Magmoor caverns, Meta-Ridley boss fight);

-Great control system (the R button was frustrating in certain occasions, but nothing too serious). The obligatory power-ups were very intuitive and easy to use. Using the X-Ray visor to see paths and platforms and using the Thermal Visor to detect movement and living beings was wonderful. They didn't feel tacked on like other power-ups *ahem*Dark Visor*ahem*.;

-Many extras hidden in the game, including Missile Expansions, Health Packs, Scans, hidden artwork, different endings and the Beam Expansions (Loved those);

-The attention to detail is amazing. From the drops in Samus' visor to a few log scans that showed the pirates' reaction to Samus ("The Hunter's Morph Ball is impossible to recreate");

-The plot was good and I loved the fact that the only people who got that one were the people that bothered to explore and read the scans. I also liked the fact that they tried to find an explanation for everything that was unrealistic (Ex.: The hovering platforms) or too convenient (Ex.: The Chozo power-ups received an explanation in this game);

-The atmosphere in different places was amazing and breathtaking. I felt tense when exploring the space station and calm in Tallon Overworld and the open areas in Phendrana Drifts. I could also feel the hostile ambient in the Pirate bases in Phendrana and the Phazon Mines and was always with my cannon ready. The Chozo Ruins in the desert and Phendrana were awe inspiring and I felt like I actually was in a sacred place. When I was exploring the sunken frigate, it seemed like it was an abandoned house. That segment was quite creepy. Finally, the Impact Crater inspired fear into my heart as I was about to face "The Worm";

-The boss fights were epic: Meta-Ridley has the greatest atmosphere in a boss fight EVER. Omega Pirate was also quite hard, Flaahgra had me stumped for a while (I missed the part of the scan where it said he could be stunned) and Metroid Prime was long and tiresome. Even minor bosses like Sheegoth and the Elite Pirates had their moments.

By the way, I believe that the reason that Echoes felt worse than Prime was because of the linearity and set objectives. There was nothing wrong with the Dark World, except for all the negative feelings it brings (hostility, fear, darkness, danger).

Finally, one of my favourite Metroid Prime moments.

Basically, I was in the Phazon Mines, in room with two floors. I entered in the lower floor and saw several Power Troopers pointing their guns at me. I quickly crossed the room to the boxes that lead to the upper floor. When I climbed them, I could still see the pirates waving their guns at me trying to get clear shot at me while I was hiding in a wall.

Then, I turn around and see two Wave Troopers about to attack me. I changed to the Wave cannon while trying to avoid the physical blows (I got hit a few times). Then, I charge the gun and release the Wave buster, killing them quickly.

However, one them landed in an apparently decorative glass near the floor. It turns out it wasn't decorative, as the Wave corpse broke it. The moment it did. The Power Troopers turned their heads as if they heard it, and saw me hitting me in my hiding spot, nearly killing me before I thought of a second plan

It was memorable for several reasons:

-It showed the Troopers had a competent and beievable A.I.;

-It showed that what I thought was a scenario actually behaved unexpectedly and realistically;

-Tested my reflexes and quick thinking against a few grunts. In real life, a few grunts from a big organization would actually be dangerous and we don't see much of it in videogames.

Best MP moment for me was definitely the Sunken Frigate exploration. THE best gaming moment ever for me, no game has come near to this, not in the past, and not up till now. No Zelda either. :)

-The plot was good and I loved the fact that the only people who got that one were the people that bothered to explore and read the scans.

-The atmosphere in different places was amazing and breathtaking. I felt tense when exploring the space station and calm in Tallon Overworld and the open areas in Phendrana Drifts. I could also feel the hostile ambient in the Pirate bases in Phendrana and the Phazon Mines and was always with my cannon ready. The Chozo Ruins in the desert and Phendrana were awe inspiring and I felt like I actually was in a sacred place. When I was exploring the sunken frigate, it seemed like it was an abandoned house. That segment was quite creepy. Finally, the Impact Crater inspired fear into my heart as I was about to face "The Worm";

-The boss fights were epic: Meta-Ridley has the greatest atmosphere in a boss fight EVER.

Fantastic post that pretty much sums up my feelngs on an absolutely awesome game!

Ok, I've bought this for the second time. £8.99. I never played it more than once the first time, I hope it make more of an impact on my this time.

Metroid Prime was my favourite game the last generation, and this is one of the main reasons. The atmosphere and mood is simply fantastic and nothing else I've played has bested it.

-The attention to detail is amazing. From the drops in Samus' visor to a few log scans that showed the pirates' reaction to Samus ("The Hunter's Morph Ball is impossible to recreate");

-The plot was good and I loved the fact that the only people who got that one were the people that bothered to explore and read the scans. I also liked the fact that they tried to find an explanation for everything that was unrealistic (Ex.: The hovering platforms) or too convenient (Ex.: The Chozo power-ups received an explanation in this game);

-The boss fights were epic: Meta-Ridley has the greatest atmosphere in a boss fight EVER. Omega Pirate was also quite hard, Flaahgra had me stumped for a while (I missed the part of the scan where it said he could be stunned) and Metroid Prime was long and tiresome. Even minor bosses like Sheegoth and the Elite Pirates had their moments.

By the way, I believe that the reason that Echoes felt worse than Prime was because of the linearity and set objectives. There was nothing wrong with the Dark World, except for all the negative feelings it brings (hostility, fear, darkness, danger).

Great post! MP was also my favourite game in the last generation. I too loved the way they handled the story, you had to find all the puzzle pieces and put it all together yourself. This way you felt more immersed in the game world, you were Samus.

The boss fights were also greatly designed. At first they seemed incredibly hard but after you've tried them a few times, it's easily possible to make it through without being hit. This was especially the case with Meta-Ridley for me, the first time I made it with just 14 health. One more hit and it would have been over. Now it's easily possible for me to beat him with full health on hard mode.

I replayed this game a few weeks ago, and it still holds up even after I've played it through five times already. When I played Echoes afterwards, it was great but not as great as the first one. Like you said it felt a bit too linear. The language doors were blocking your exploration everywhere until you found the translator files.

Metroid Prime is my favourite game of the last generation. I say this yet I have only spent 17 hours on the game and at 40%. I can't believe I stopped playing this game at around 13 hours when I first for it. It was because I bought another game and as always I find it very hard to get back into them once I stop.

With the forthcoming release of Corruption, I decided to get it back out again and it blows me away again. It's such an awesome game and I was suprised to pick up the controls again relatively easy after about 5 or 6 years.

I think I ought to complete this and Echoes before I get Corruption. Echoes is also brilliant.

I prefer prime over prime 2. Still trying to finish prime 2, 3 years down the line. I just can be bothered with those sky temple keys. And then retro have the nerve to do another 'drag out the game for all its worth' scheme in prime 3 too. :(

Prime was in my top 3 GC games, and it exceeds the sequel. Great graphics, sound and gameplay made it what is it. There were 1 of 3 endings, I got the middle one (I think)

The final boss was a bit crap though, not hard, and it wasn't even a metroid. And Metroid Prime didn't return in MP 2, either. Now, the meta ridley fight on the other hand...

The final boss was a bit crap though, not hard, and it wasn't even a metroid. Now, the meta ridley fight on the other hand...

Well, it is a bit hard to compete with the Meta-Ridley fight...

And Metroid Prime didn't return in MP 2, either.

Go watch the 100% ending and then tell me if Metroid Prime appeared in MP2 or not...

Anyone else replaying the Primes before gearing up for the finale?

On the 12th of October i'm gonna start Metroid Prime ,then on the 18th start Prime 2 since i'm expecting Prime 3 a few days early.

On the 12th of October i'm gonna start Metroid Prime ,then on the 18th start Prime 2 since i'm expecting Prime 3 a few days early.

I finished Prime 1 100% so I wont go back to that but Prime 2 I still need to beat on Hard Mode so I will replay that before the 3rd one is unleashed upon us all.

Its gonna be hard trying to juggle all the killer titles that are starting to come out especially when Halo 3 and Zelda:PH are so close.

I finished Prime 1 100% so I wont go back to that but Prime 2 I still need to beat on Hard Mode so I will replay that before the 3rd one is unleashed upon us all.

Its gonna be hard trying to juggle all the killer titles that are starting to come out especially when Halo 3 and Zelda:PH are so close.

I have so many games to complete just now and doesn't help with a load coming in the next few weeks.

I still have GC games to complete and i'm on the Wii pretty much everyday. And I really wanna re-play Resi 4 again on Professional mode ,Twilight Princess and also want to play Sonic again, but I still have Trauma Centre and Paper Mario complete for the Wii before I do that.

And got Baten Kaitos Origins to complete along with some DS games and the Viewtifull Joes.

I have a lot to do :(

I just got through Prime, gave that game to one of me mates to show what he was really missing (lol first time he has ever played a metroid game and he loved the morph ball :laughing:

I am just starting to play Metroid Prime 2 now. Playing it the second time all I can say is that it's really underrated. Don't know why people give so crap to this game. IT WAS GOOD!!!!!!

Turns out I had most of the sky temple keys. Which was why when I went searching for some using a guide I didn't find anything. Got my butt whooped by the emperor ing and then switched off my cube possibly leaving the game for another 3 years.

I am just starting to play Metroid Prime 2 now. Playing it the second time all I can say is that it's really underrated. Don't know why people give so crap to this game. IT WAS GOOD!!!!!!

People keep comparing it to Metroid Prime 1.

Echoes ain't a bad game, but out of all the gamecube games it's the only one that keeps getting that treatment.

To be fair, any game looks bad when compared to Metroid Prime.

Yeah but you must also remember prime to was nintendo's killer game which bombed big time. I remember in gamestation they had a wall full of prime 2 going at ten quid. Anyway todays attempted ended with me being ended by emperor ing stage 3

Finished Echoes again last week. I just "cheated" by skipping the Sky Temple Keys search using another of my files to beat the last boss. :heh:

Finished Echoes again last week. I just "cheated" by skipping the Sky Temple Keys search using another of my files to beat the last boss. :heh:

I cheated a bit in my replay of Echoes last month as well. Skipped one of the Ing Hive keys by Screw Attacking over the gate. I just wanted to fight Quadraxis again. I did get the key after the fight though. :p