NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Donkey Kong Country Series

Godlike? I'll take that compliment. :hehe:

Do you mean you've not played DKC 3 ever? At all?! Shame on you sir. :blank: To get the full percentage in each game you have to find all the bonus rooms (when you do that in a stage the level name will have an exclamation mark after it to let you know), all DK coins, Kremcoins, Banana Birds, etc. For DKC you get 101%, DKC 2 maxes out at 102% and DKC 3 goes to 103%. However in DKC 3 if you enter the cheat TUFST or HARDR (I remembered it when having my lunch!) then you can reach 105%. :grin:

To get the full 105% on the Snes you have to complete the game with the TUFST (or TUFFR? Can't think of the other spelling for that cheat right now...) entered in.

Ring any bells? :heh:

OMG YEAH!!!!

I was referencing Cranky at the end of the entire credits of DKC3 where he is on a pedestal busting karate moves in his white karate suit.

Cranky busts out karate moves at the end? I really don't remember that. :o Is that on the Snes or GBA? He does some jetskiing in the background after the Queen Banana Bird drops the giant egg shell on K. Roolenstein but aside from that... Karate...? :hmm:

Cranky busts out karate moves at the end? I really don't remember that. :o Is that on the Snes or GBA? He does some jetskiing in the background after the Queen Banana Bird drops the giant egg shell on K. Roolenstein but aside from that... Karate...? :hmm:

Yeah, funky tows the boat around and Cranky gets pulled about (instant lols).

Then when it has the percentage completion screen right at the end of everything, if you got the 105% you get Cranky doing some karate. Youtube it maybe?

Do you mean you've not played DKC 3 ever? At all?! Shame on you sir. :blank: To get the full percentage in each game you have to find all the bonus rooms (when you do that in a stage the level name will have an exclamation mark after it to let you know), all DK coins, Kremcoins, Banana Birds, etc. For DKC you get 101%, DKC 2 maxes out at 102% and DKC 3 goes to 103%. However in DKC 3 if you enter the cheat TUFST or HARDR (I remembered it when having my lunch!) then you can reach 105%. :grin:

Not played DKC3 yet, but who knows, if I complete DKC2 I might get round to it.

Can you finish the game, then come back to each level to go for 10x%?

Do you mean you've not played DKC 3 ever? At all?! Shame on you sir. :blank:

LOL, I've not played DKC2 or DKC3! I did complete the original 100% though (or 101%, whatever it was). I might download them.

Yeah, funky tows the boat around and Cranky gets pulled about (instant lols).

Then when it has the percentage completion screen right at the end of everything, if you got the 105% you get Cranky doing some karate. Youtube it maybe?

But in the GBA game where Cranky's karate is made into a minigame, that's uncool, no?

Someone hold my Ice Blast, this bitch is going down.

*holds*

Snazzy McJazzy in white.

*Bitch goes down*

*High Five*

Seriously, anyone who hasn't played any title in the DKC series is one lucky son of a gun or really unlucky (whichever way you look at it). You're gonna be experiencing some of (if not THE) best 16-bit platforming of the day.

And considering it was a golden age of platformers your in for a great time.

Even if you've never played them get on Youtube and listen to the soundtracks as they are worth the price alone. :bowdown:

Edited by tapedeck

DKC2 = Benchmark of 2D platformers.

Whilst I've always felt that Yoshi's Island pips any of the DKC games for sheer level design and variety, I've still maintained that that the rather more simple styling of Rare's offerings edged it in terms of pure gameplay. The basic run and jump mechanics of the DKC series have yet to bested.

DKC 1 had the originality and impact that the others could never match. It also wasn't bothered with the whole collecting idea which populated 2 and 3 (though in some ways, Yoshi's Island was a major culprit of it as well).

DKC 2 had the best music, level variety (I'm speaking aesthetically here) and graphics. The addition of Dixie worked well and the whole set up felt believable (well, as believable as a game staring anthropomorphic creatures could be for the time).

And DKC 3... well DKC 3 robbed the trading sequence from Link's Awakening...

What I mean was, it was good in it's own right even if it didn't do much beyond 2. It had the more open world, but it wasn't really necessary and level types weren't confined to one area (which may have helped to give some reasoning behind it).

I would tend to say Donkey Kong has better level variety than Yoshis Island. off the top of my head

Normal, Roller Coaster, Wind from below, barrel cannon levels etc.

Whilst I've always felt that Yoshi's Island pips any of the DKC games for sheer level design and variety, I've still maintained that that the rather more simple styling of Rare's offerings edged it in terms of pure gameplay. The basic run and jump mechanics of the DKC series have yet to bested.

good lord yes dkc games are over 9000 times better than yoshi's island.. I can;t say i;m not a huge fan of the game because it just just bores me... I don't consider it to be a proper sequel to super mario world.

I don't consider it to be a proper sequel to super mario world.

I agree with this too. Simply too different to be a sequel.

I agree with this too. Simply too different to be a sequel.

Doesn't make it any less of a game though.

The Warioland games started off as a "sequel" to Super Mario Land, but the games had their fair share of differences. Besides, it was only referred to as Super Mario: Yoshi Island in Japan.

Anyway, back to the DKC trilogy... or rather the DKL trilogy.

What are peoples thoughts on those games? People always talk about the DKC trilogy but never it's mini brother.

I think the first had a problem caused by the sprites being too big and over complicated graphic making it difficult to see or determine where you should be going - but it was proof if nothing else that they could get something decent out of the little machine. Now DKL 2 was sublime - it was like an alternate version of DKC 2 and just as good given the source. 3 was good as well, but I felt it was lacking a little something after the excellence of number two.

I have to say that DKL 2 is the only game of mine to ever stop working... I can only assume I over played it. I looked everywhere for a copy in shops but never could find one. But thanks to ebay, I managed to get a working copy to call my own again a couple of years back. And even after all that time, I still remembered where all the secrets were and had an absolute blast playing through it again.

I'd so love all three be redone with the DKC engine.

Actually, my first contact with the series was a copy Donkey Kong Land someone else at my school used to have (everyone had Gameboys, you see. All the cool kids had to have one). Pretty good experience, with my only complaint at the time being "why is the final boss just a slightly bigger crocodile?" :p

While playing Donkey Kong Country more recently, nostalgia rushed in. I remembered the first level, the underwater-styled levels and the Temple scenery (although at the time I thought they were underground, dark temples, due to colour limitations). And the question popped into my head: "...How the hell did I play that on green&yellow?" :p

I also remember a sky-themed level, but found no such thing in DKC. Weird, huh?

I also had some contact with DKL 2 and 3, but I didn't play those much. I always felt Dixie was a stupid gimmick. Then, I gave her a second chance and now I take those feelings back.

Actually, my first contact with the series was a copy Donkey Kong Land someone else at my school used to have (everyone had Gameboys, you see. All the cool kids had to have one). Pretty good experience, with my only complaint at the time being "why is the final boss just a slightly bigger crocodile?" :p

While playing Donkey Kong Country more recently, nostalgia rushed in. I remembered the first level, the underwater-styled levels and the Temple scenery (although at the time I thought they were underground, dark temples, due to colour limitations). And the question popped into my head: "...How the hell did I play that on green&yellow?" :p

I also remember a sky-themed level, but found no such thing in DKC. Weird, huh?

I also had some contact with DKL 2 and 3, but I didn't play those much. I always felt Dixie was a stupid gimmick. Then, I gave her a second chance and now I take those feelings back.

Well DKL was more inspired by DKC whereas DKL2 quite literally aped (yes, I did just say it) it's bigger brother. DKL3 was quite close to DKC3 as well except the overworld and story were completely different.

DKL did have some sky levels, as well as city levels. The underwater levels were in temples and there were some pirate ship levels too. If I recall, the end boss against King K.Rool takes place in a warehouse type setting... of all places...

One thing about that game is that you couldn't fall very far on vertically scrolling level without dying very quickly - probably a limitation of the engine to draw it fast enough that they have no choice but to kill you. A problem that was rectified with DKL2 and it's less detailed backgrounds which also gave way to smoother gameplay.

DKL did have some sky levels, as well as city levels. The underwater levels were in temples and there were some pirate ship levels too. If I recall, the end boss against King K.Rool takes place in a warehouse type setting... of all places...

I don't remember the pirate ship levels, but I clearly remember facing K.Rool as the boss of the factory/city world. And the scenery matched the rest of that world, so you're not mistaken.

One thing about that game is that you couldn't fall very far on vertically scrolling level without dying very quickly - probably a limitation of the engine to draw it fast enough that they have no choice but to kill you. A problem that was rectified with DKL2 and it's less detailed backgrounds which also gave way to smoother gameplay.

Considering the limitations of that time, I was probably never bothered too much by that.

This is making me curious, though. Suddenly, I have the urge to check DKL 2 & 3.

Time to bump my favourite topic. :santa:

I'd planned to do a run through of DKC 3 this week leading up to Christmas and due to the overnight snowfall here, I couldn't resist cracking into it today. I'm doing it with the HARDR cheat input as I haven't got a file at 105% yet on the VC. I've done the first four worlds, getting everything so far (stats are 51% with about 2 hours on the clock... I had 26% with 35mins gone but Ripsaw Rage took a fair few retries!) and I'm gonna take a breather before hitting K3.

The HARDR cheat removes the DK barrels as well as mid point barrels. The game had been holding true to this up until Blazing Bazukas where I found this DK barrel right at the beginning of the level:

IMG00540.jpg

Bizarre!

I've also got the MERRY cheat in. :bouncy: Best. Cheat. Ever.

The HARDR cheat removes the DK barrels as well as mid point barrels. The game had been holding true to this up until Blazing Bazukas where I found this DK barrel right at the beginning of the level:

Bizarre!

Is it in a place where you need to have both characters? Usually they're at a place where, eg. you need Kiddy to throw Dixie up onto a ledge or something.

I've also got the MERRY cheat in. :bouncy: Best. Cheat. Ever.

What does that do? Never heard of it!

Is it in a place where you need to have both characters? Usually they're at a place where, eg. you need Kiddy to throw Dixie up onto a ledge or something.

What does that do? Never heard of it!

MERRY changes the bonus room music to "Jangle Bells" and replaces the bananas and stars with Christmas presents and baubles.

Nah there was no need for that DK barrel and even if there was, the fact that I'm playing with the cheat in to remove them should have taken it out.

DKC 3 = Immense. Could play it everyday.

LOVE IT.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

gallery_dkc10.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=259878&stc=1&d=1197744126

Edited by tapedeck