NEurope
darthbane2k

Square Enix SNUBS Wii

Never played FF so its no loss to me, but if any company wants to ignore the Wii at this point in time its their own idiotic loss on both a financial and promotional level.

No, it wasn't.

Most people think otherwise because of the fame of 3D being a afterthought in Saturn, but that doesn't imply that it is weaker.

Saturn was more powerful in 3D RAW performance actually (take a peek at the never released Shenmue for Saturn, for example), but not much people could cap that out of the system, for starters the system had 9 processors, two main ones (SH-1), and then 2 GPU's (who were meant for separate tasks); most developers couldn't even manage to use the SH-1's effectively.

Think of it like Genesis/Mega Drive versus SNES, SNES was slower than Genesis/Mega Drive (3,58 MHz against 7,6 MHz) but did more stuff in hardware, like more simultaneous colors, transparencies (alpha colors), mode 7, etc...

Saturn could actually push more polygons than N64 and PSone, but it had limitations like lack of light sourcing, lack of transparencies, etc.

So yeah, it was very powerful for the time, despite what solidified historic rumors say/said. PSone was just simpler and did more stuff by pre-default on hardware.

Anyway, I mentioned it as a reference, not to be taken as a real possibly for Square, as it never was.

Yeah pedrocasilva is right. The Saturn was a powerful machine as it uses quadrilaterals to make the polygons instead of triangles.

Heres the video ~Shenmue - Saturn version

Yu Suzuki once said "One very fast central processor would be preferable. I don't think that all programmers have the ability to program two CPUs - most can only get about one-and-a-half times the speed you can get from one SH-2. I think only one out of 100 programmers is good enough to get that kind of speed [double] out of the Saturn."

I'm sure Square-Enix wasn't expecting the wii to do so well, probably their next annoucements will have a few more titles for the wii.

Well all I can say is too right square snub the Wii.

Sqaure being a Japanese games company is originally interested in the Japanese market in which the only games that sell for the Wii are party games.

If you want an epic game to sell don't sell it on the Wii, thats why we get Umberellia Chronicles and Ps3/360 get Resident Evil 5.

Square's just following suit of all the other major games companies which is purely buisness ethics. Nothing personal against the Wii.

Its not suprising given Nintendo's current attitude towards lengthy RPG's. But then again the DS is getting DQ9, maybe the Wii just needs longer to prove itself.

Sqaure being a Japanese games company is originally interested in the Japanese market in which the only games that sell for the Wii are party games.

It's nice to see that we still have people who are intentionally ignoring sales charts, and bringing NeoGaf retard logic on the table.

Super Paper Mario has sold 320 000 copies in two weeks, meaning that so far 14 percent of Wii's japanese user base has bought the game. Zelda has been bought by 22 percent of japanese Wii users. For comparsion, normal Square-Enix games barely reaches 5 percent attach ratio on their respective platforms. These are goddamn high attach ratios that tell serious games do sell well on Wii so long as they are quality attempts. But hey, Zelda and SPM are party games AM I RITE?!?

It's nice to see that we still have people who are intentionally ignoring sales charts, and bringing NeoGaf retard logic on the table.

Super Paper Mario has sold 320 000 copies in two weeks, meaning that so far 14 percent of Wii's japanese user base has bought the game. Zelda has been bought by 22 percent of japanese Wii users. For comparsion, normal Square-Enix games barely reaches 5 percent attach ratio on their respective platforms. These are goddamn high attach ratios that tell serious games do sell well on Wii so long as they are quality attempts. But hey, Zelda and SPM are party games AM I RITE?!?

You're forgetting that those are FIRST PARTY games. Nintendo are notorious for not being able to sell Third party games. Tell me where Dragon Ball Z is in the charts, where is Call of Duty and Red Steel?

Give me some numbers for a non Nintendo game and I'll consider your argument.

I think that Third party games are doing as well on Wii... and probably better than they have done on N64 and Wii. I'm sure atleast Red Steel has done pretty well has it not?

Anyway, who can blame them for now? The Wii might not continue to be such a success, who's to know. I'm sure when the time is right the Wii'll get a similar landslide of S-E to the DS. In the mean time, we've plenty to occupy us.

You're forgetting that those are FIRST PARTY games. Nintendo are notorious for not being able to sell Third party games. Tell me where Dragon Ball Z is in the charts, where is Call of Duty and Red Steel?

I'm not forgetting that they are first party games, but you simply claimed that only party games sell on Wii. And what comes to 3rd parties, are you surprised that hastily crapped ports didn't sell well? It really shows that you are little bit out of touch with current situation, when you use FPSs as example of games that didn't sell to japanese consumers. No big surprise, as FPS never sell in japan. For example, Ps2 version of Call of Duty 2 moved magnificient 1 500 copies on PS2, and king of them all, Halo 2 moved 11 000 copies. And further prove about 3rd party titles selling is that One Piece Unlimited did sell its whole print run in one day, and Namco-Bandai is currently desperately trying to get it back to print.

You are simply repeating same stuff that was said about DS userbase and 3rd party sales two years ago.

Give me some numbers for a non Nintendo game and I'll consider your argument.

Well... FPS don't sell on Japan... but Red Steel is aproaching 1 million copies sold worldwide, and I bet it could have sold better if the game had been better, you know how lip work sells games, and I wouldn't recomend Red Steel without having doubts of being the right think to do for anyone (and I kinda liked the game)

CoD3 sold 300.000 units in US alone. Sure the X360 sold more, because it's a FPS centric console and a lot of people jumped on it first for CoD2 (and are waiting for Halo), but 300.000 for a "inferior" version without online... is not bad at all.

But you're right, developers have a hard time competing with Nintendo, meaning they have to compete with quality in certain genres, but look at Konami, Elebits and now Dewey's... are games that could have been made by Nintendo, and that's a compliment. Nintendo is only that strong if nobody gives them competition in their own console.

Nintendo wasn't first in Japan last generation through their games, yet they had Mario and Zelda there, and others... now they have Wii Sports, sure... But there's software houses with more driving power than Nintendo out there. Meaning we need them to appeal to certain publics.

It's not linear though, and it lends itself for discussion, you could even say the public who bought these FPS in US and Europe are not regular FPS customers so while it sold good there's no guarantee other FPS in the same vein will sell.

Even Red Steel, with the fame of the first, I'm not betting on RS2 selling through the roof (better than the first), unless they get a masterpiece out.

Even Red Steel, with the fame of the first, I'm not betting on RS2 selling through the roof (better than the first), unless they get a masterpiece out.

Well, RS2 will probably be made ground-up from the Wii. Red Steel was originally a GameCube game (under a different name).

I rest my case.

soon nintendo fans are realise gonna the wii is home of all the shit-tastic games

soon nintendo fans are realise gonna the wii is home of all the shit-tastic games

Which means it'll be as popular (or more so) as the PS2 (which had all the shit-tastic games).

Wii is also home to the best games, too.

Well, RS2 will probably be made ground-up from the Wii. Red Steel was originally a GameCube game (under a different name).

I didn't know that. What was its original name?

Which means it'll be as popular (or more so) as the PS2 (which had all the shit-tastic games).

Wii is also home to the best games, too.

LOL

Wii the home of all the best games.

Seriously mate, lets go third party games only for a sec. Wii dosn't hold a candle to 360 or ps3.

On the other hand ps2 killed the others in this respect.

can i just say Gamecube 1.5 HD graphics

I love the way everyone ignores the "trolls" posts and his attempts at "trolling" are almost embarrassing failures. Okay, so I broke the the chain, but whatever. Froob.

Says the guy who thinks the Golden Sun is the apex of JRPGs... :)

P.S. I'm quite fascinated how the most annoying and stupidiest trolls always also write poorest english, even if they are native speakers.

Says the guy who thinks the Golden Sun is the apex of JRPGs... :)

P.S. I'm quite fascinated how the most annoying and stupidiest trolls always also write poorest english, even if they are native speakers.

lol, since when?

P.S. I'm quite fascinated how the most annoying and stupidest trolls always also write the poorest english, even if they are native speakers.

I fixed your sentence. It made no sense how it was. And I don't normally nit-pick like that...but you're complaining about use of English, so I had to.

I fixed your sentence. It made no sense how it was. And I don't normally nit-pick like that...but you're complaining about use of English, so I had to.

Touche. But then once again, english is my third language, so some mistakes can be excepted. :)

Touche. But then once again, english is my third language, so some mistakes can be excepted. :)

I'm curious, would you mind telling me where you're from?

Edit: Finnish?

Nice to see FFIV remade, but that's for the DS, and Square said that the Nintendo fans should be looking forward to this event so I was expecting something 'bigger' for the Wii too, and it isn't Mysterious Dungeon.

LOL

Wii the home of all the best games.

Seriously mate, lets go third party games only for a sec. Wii dosn't hold a candle to 360 or ps3.

On the other hand ps2 killed the others in this respect.

Lol at ps3 but the 360 has been out an extra year.