NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KingOfHyrule

British humour or American humour?

British humour for me!

i love the office, i have the whole of series 1 + 2 and its amazingly clever, how you suddenly get the long silences when a bad joke is told, and the people there are really dumb

also i watched wallace and gromit the other day and it was laugh a minute

it appeals to kids and adults

There are a couple of good US shows around at the moment like Family Guy and Simpsons. Scrubs is OK. Friends, Cheers and Fraiser were all great too. Will & Grace is complete crap though. I think UK humour is much better overall, simply because it's so much more intresting and varied. Love Potion is one of my current favourites, I always look forward to Have I Got News for You and I simply can't wait for the next series of Bremner, Bird and Fortune. I also hope they make another series of Monkey Dust or The Peep Show, one of the finest sitcoms ever made. Those great satirical skits they do on Radio 4 rock too. Did anyone hear the show about the PR gurus trying to help improve the image of a local superstore? Currently living in a small town with a frankly oversized Tesco's, I hadn't laughed so hard in ages. When was the last time an American comedy show made light of large American corperations? Show me a US satire on the Coca-Cola Company, and I'll hush up.

Well I really love Monty Python, Mr Bean, Black Books,Fawlty Towers , Black Adder and the office. America has Scrubs, Simpsons,Futurama,Family Guy and lots more. So... I dont know and I dont care as long as I get to laugh.

I will have to go old skool - the kenny everitt show, in sickness & in health , the young ones, the two ronnies, smith & jones, hale & pace, only fools & horses and porrige. American- different strokes, fresh prince of belair, the addams family, beavis & butthead, the cosbys and i strangely remember the waltons being a bloody good laugh for some reason . The best british humour of all - billy connolly- no contest .

British humour is most obviously better. There are only a few good American comedy's (Friends, E.L.Raymond). The, thing is, America is adopting more british comedy into some of their comedy's.

My Family was written by an American

The, thing is, America is adopting more british comedy into some of their comedy's.

My Family was written by an American

erm, that doesn't really prove your point :heh:

Black Books, Blackadder and Nevermind the Buzzcocks are awesome while most American humor is based around sexual jokes, ie Friends, Will & Grace.

British humor it is.

i didnt think the 3rd series of little britain was out yet

but i think its really good, but i dont know why they dropped ray mcooney at the hotel cos that was hilarious

"id love to say yyyaaaayss but im afraid its a no"

Is it just me that doesnt get little britain at all?

Nope, I can see where they're coming from but I think the satire is too blunt to warrant any laughs.

Little Britain is shite. Well now it is. Every episode is the same character, saying the same catchphrase but in a different sitch. So damn repetative.

erm, that doesn't really prove your point :heh:

Hahaha...yeah, I know, It was just an example (and I do know they're written by more than one person, he's one of the main guys though).

I can't really explain how I mean, but if you look back on older American comedy's, they're shit generally. It's only recent ones that are good AND add a more british comedy in there aswell, I don't really know how to explain it.

And yes, I also can't really get into Little Britain. The Fast Show repeated things, but they were repeated in a funny sort of way. :grin:

Is it me or has no-one mentioned the League of Gentlemen? That RULES. I didn't think I'd like it origionally, but I really got into it.

also i watched wallace and gromit the other day and it was laugh a minute

it appeals to kids and adults

It is. The best bit is the Arson joke, hahahaha. I still prefer The Wrong Trousers though

Brass Eye... Paedogeddon, a classic which will never die... just remembering the jokes makes me giggle even years later. No American satire could ever dare do that....

Sign in to follow this