NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rapture1984

MP3 Downloads

Does anyone know of a good place to get hold of MP3 downloads? I was going to use Napster but don't like the idea of paying a monthly subscription and the only other site I found that looked ok was Wippit.

I don't have an iPod so can't use iTunes.

You can use iTunes even if you don't have an iPod. You can burn the music you buy to a CD if you want to.

You can use iTunes even if you don't have an iPod. You can burn the music you buy to a CD if you want to.

the only problem with that is then having to rip the tracks from the cd to then play them on his mp3 player thus taking up double space on the computer :p

No warez.

Ha, says me...

Yeah anyway, don't post links. Thanks!

Well I get my music free or I don't bother, the last music I bought was in 2004.

The way I see it is artists are doing what they do because they love making music, so you shouldn't be charging unrealistic prices for it.

Oh and there is bound to be someone who says "it funds terroism" well you know what it doesn't its called lies! lies by artists, lies by record companies.

Remember get your music free to stop record companies.

Remember get your music free to stop record companies.

Why do you want to stop record companies?

No record companies = no quality music

Exactly.

If they can't make any money from it, they'll stop. Simple as that.

Yes you can get quality music from indie bands, etc. Also because, 1p is the true value of a song. Yet record companies charge normally £9.99 or more with maybe 5-10 songs on.

Plus there hasn't benn any quality music since 3 lions song was releashed then it went down hill. No decent music.

Download music illegally from the internet supports:

Terrorism!

Yes you can get quality music from indie bands, etc. Also because, 1p is the true value of a song. Yet record companies charge normally £9.99 or more with maybe 5-10 songs on.

Plus there hasn't benn any quality music since 3 lions song was releashed then it went down hill. No decent music.

You can't seriously think that?

This is their job. The touring, the rehearsing, the songwriting, the publicity, being in the public eye. I think it's a pretty stressful life, to be honest. 1p is NOT the true value of a song.

There has been TONS of quality music since 3 lions (96 or 98? Or both).

Four record companies have a monopoly on the music industry. I don't need record companies to tell me what to listen to or not. The Brit Awards is a prime example of the music industry hyping itself up.

How many awards did the Darkness win that year? 3, 4? And playing the same song twice on the same show?

Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Gwen Stefani... a different band gets hyped up every couple of months, and every 4 months or so one gets hyped up twice as much as usual, while great bands go by virtually unnoticed.

Boring clones are hyped again and again, and bands that were interesting are forced not to do anything different because it is too risky, and they become boring themselves.

U2 put it best when they said they wouldn't have been around if they started out in the 90s (their second album was atrocious).

Record companies do charge way too much for music. Paying £16 for a latest release on the high street is a joke for a start...

PS bands like the Arcade Fire, who got famous over the internet pretty much, are the way forward.

Not my most structured post in the world but I think it just about gets my point across!

Record companies do charge way too much for music. Paying £16 for a latest release on the high street is a joke for a start...

Where the fuck do you shop mate. I find most things are £7-9 possibly rising to £15 if it comes with a bonus DVD.

Prices are definitely way too high, but I don't think pirating music is really the answer to this.

But then, I think music has almost always been this way. There's always been bands which get way more attention than others. In the 90's, it was Oasis. In the naughties (lol), it's the likes of the Arctic Monkeys. Thing is, it's probably done a bit too often, because now the industry is so obsessed over what is going to be the 'next big thing.'

But, there have always been bands which slip by, and have their own niche. They get along fine, minimal publicity, but keep the good stuff coming. Less pressure is on them to deliver. Hence why the YeahYeahYeahs have had only 2 studio albums (full) and whilst bands like the Arctic Monkeys are really under pressure to deliver followup albums. They're in the public eye, so much emphasis is going to be placed on them.

Download music illegally from the internet supports:

Terrorism!

No it doesn't.

You can't seriously think that?

This is their job. The touring, the rehearsing, the songwriting, the publicity, being in the public eye. I think it's a pretty stressful life, to be honest. 1p is NOT the true value of a song.

There has been TONS of quality music since 3 lions (96 or 98? Or both).

The touring costs can be recouped my ticket prices at concerts and if they can't well thats their fault.

The songwriting you are actually joking aren't you. I've heard better poems inside of cards than I hear good lyrics in music these days. Plus the artists don't write it.

Being in public eye is not fucking stressful at all if those fucktards think its stressful job like a real job.

1p is the true price of a song.

The touring costs can be recouped my ticket prices at concerts and if they can't well thats their fault.

The songwriting you are actually joking aren't you. I've heard better poems inside of cards than I hear good lyrics in music these days. Plus the artists don't write it.

Being in public eye is not fucking stressful at all if those fucktards think its stressful job like a real job.

Song writing isn't just writing lyrics. Have you ever tried to create a song of your own? Trust, it isn't easy. And, you're not entirely right when you say the artists don't write it, many bands do write their own material, and have done so for many years. There's even a 'sharing' thing going on where bands write lyrics or riffs for other bands, or lend vocals for other groups. Music is much more than just an industry, it's more like a community.

How is 1p the true price of a song? Ok, we'll just imagine you're in a band, trying to make a name for yourself, and you spend hours, nay months, writing your own songs, only to see it sold for a penny. Hmm.

No it doesn't.

You are one of the most stupid people I've ever heard.

There is loads of tripe on the radio, but there are loads of good bands/artists out there. I discovered an excellent band called Idiot Pilot just last week after listening to 'Hi, My Name is Mark'.

I love music and I listen to it every day, even though I stopped listening to the radio because of the turd that gets put on it, but there is loads of great music.

After for the utterly retarded comment of 'if they're doing what they love..', I'll tell you what. When you become a computer programer/burger flipper, do it for no wages, cus it'll be 'what you want to do'.

You are a cheap bastard.:blank:

Song writing isn't just writing lyrics. Have you ever tried to create a song of your own? Trust, it isn't easy. And, you're not entirely right when you say the artists don't write it, many bands do write their own material, and have done so for many years. There's even a 'sharing' thing going on where bands write lyrics or riffs for other bands, or lend vocals for other groups. Music is much more than just an industry, it's more like a community.

How is 1p the true price of a song? Ok, we'll just imagine you're in a band, trying to make a name for yourself, and you spend hours, nay months, writing your own songs, only to see it sold for a penny. Hmm.

Yes but 10million copies downloaded at 1p =£100k, thats plenty for a band. And I would be happy because I would be doing it for the music rather than money which the artists want.

This discussion reminds me of the South Park episode.

"Millionaires like Lars Ulrich will have to wait another week for his gold plated shark tank because people are downloading his music for free."

Anywho I use teh Azureus.

Also because, 1p is the true value of a song.

Don't be stupid. It can take bands ages to write the song, then record it. A recording studio does not cost 1p to record a song. The cost of the CD is more than 1p.

Yes but 10million copies downloaded at 1p =£100k, thats plenty for a band. And I would be happy because I would be doing it for the music rather than money which the artists want.

OH. MY. GOD. How much do you think it costs to produce an album, promote it, costs for touring etc.?

You best save your pennies so you can buy that clue you so badly need.:idea:

I only GET free music because when i hear a song i like i don't particually want to buy the whole CD for that song. Also i don't want to tackle the panic which is HMV, tbh i'd rather shoot LIME juice in my eyes then than go in there. That is why i get it through the WIRE.

Sign in to follow this