NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Cue alot of pissed off people: 8800 Ultra annouced.

Yup, nVidia are releasing a fourth 8800 card along with the 8800 GTS 320mb, 8800 GTS 640mb, 8800 GTX. The Ultra will be apparently '10-15% faster' than the GTX. Meaning, its probably a super pimped out over clocked version as it has exactly the same amount of ram.

I own a 8800GTS, anyone else slightly pissed? I mean, i'm used to them releasing a graphics card every so often, but this is getting a joke.

If i spent that much on a Graphics card and they announced another one, I'd go into a blind rage for about 3 days.

Well I did say that you should wait a bit for dx10 hardware :p

But if nvidia says it will be 10-15% better it'll probably just be under specific circumstances. And apparently it doesn't really perform that well for it's price point. It's ~425£(850$) in the states and offers little performance advantage from an overclocked 8800 gtx

So it's pretty much a waste of money. But I'm pretty sure that the price will drop when amd launches r600s

Anyone who plans on buying a 8800 or already has is a joke I think. By the time DX10 matures and becomes something worth having, the series 9 cards will be out.

Waiting till then was always going to be the best option.

Well I did say that you should wait a bit for dx10 hardware :p

I said that too. There isn't even one DX10 game out, would it be too hard to wait till the end of the year?

Anyway, I don't know why you should be pissed, your graphics card is already future proof.

Rage. *Is happy i settled with a 7950gt*

Well, you say it has the same amount of ram etc etc. Impossible for you to clock it yourself Jordan?

In this case, isn't it "Cue", not "Queue"?

Yes. As in 'right on cue' etc.

Well anyone spending so much money on a GPU should be aware that the GPU market changes about every 6 months. And once your new card can be fully used in games the next generations knocks at your door.

Problem is that many developers spend to much with graphics and useless features than gameplay.

I personally like NVIDIAs mobile GPU solutions ... but there is no way I ever put a monster like a 8800 in my desktop. With SLI I would need a 1kW power source....

In this case, isn't it "Cue", not "Queue"?

I meant more towards a Queue of people, but i'll change it. Thanks :)

Rage. *Is happy i settled with a 7950gt*

Well, you say it has the same amount of ram etc etc. Impossible for you to clock it yourself Jordan?

I already have an overclocked card, but no the Ultra has the same amount of ram as the GTX, i have the GTS.

i don't know what your problem is about? you have a good graphics card. and if you don't know the rule in tech, then don't go buying stuff: "if you can wait, wait. if you can't, buy it." i mean, everytime i buy something i just KNOW that at least 2 days later my product is old. or even before i bought it.

This the very nature of the PC market though surely? No matter how much you spend souping up your rig you're only going to be leader of the pack for a couple of months at the very most. C'mon we've all heard the song.

I bought a 8800GTS and some OCZ ram 2 weeks ago.

Ram was £117 and Card was £275 now the card is £255 and the ram is £88.

That's what im pissed about.

I meant more towards a Queue of people, but i'll change it. Thanks :)

I already have an overclocked card, but no the Ultra has the same amount of ram as the GTX, i have the GTS.

Ah sorry my bad :woops:

Keeping a computer up to date top spec is always going to be a big money drain, whatever way you look at it.

Ah sorry my bad :woops:

Keeping a computer up to date top spec is always going to be a big money drain, whatever way you look at it.

Indeed DDR3 memory is out next week.

Yeah, if your motherboard can support it. Which is basically the one or two currently on the market.

Sign in to follow this