NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ipaul

Best PC game ever?

Quake III Arena is my all-time favourite PC game. In fact, it's my all-time favourite game over all platforms. :smile:

Either Max Payne 2 - Not because of how technically advanced it was, but because the story was amazing. It was so gripping, and pretty moving towards the end...

..or Hitman Contracts - For me it felt so much more freebased, and non-linier then so many games promised to be, yet failed.

Supprisingly, no.

I dunno, UT and 2004 are fantastic game i'm not denying that. But they didn't change the genre.

Neither did Half Life 2.

gotta disagree with you there buddy, hl2 is the first fps to throw you into a world so utterly convincing with almost real life physics implemented to almost everything.

what its done, rather than cause a revolution on a par with say Halo and Goldeneye on consoles it has simply raised the bar so high that everybody making an fps untill half life 3 will be forced to follow valves example. thats industry change, not just genre.

oh and while im here, i gotta say warcraft 3 is the best fun ive ever had with an online pc experience. hands down.

EDIT i forgot to mention Steam. i know we all kinda hate it, but what it represents is the start of genuine online, high speed access to games without publishers interests being proiritiesed over those of the gamer and the developer. respect for that ya'll.

For basic combat in a first-person shooter I think every developer should be following F.E.A.R. (if they really have to follow an existing game and not forge their own ideas that is ;) ).

Half-Life² remains my current favourite (for single-player), simply because of its bleak atmospheric quality and also because of its variety in level design and gameplay. But, its more repetitive nature aside, I can't help thinking F.E.A.R.'s take on combat is just that little bit more entertaining.

gotta disagree with you there buddy, hl2 is the first fps to throw you into a world so utterly convincing with almost real life physics implemented to almost everything.

what its done, rather than cause a revolution on a par with say Halo and Goldeneye on consoles it has simply raised the bar so high that everybody making an fps untill half life 3 will be forced to follow valves example. thats industry change, not just genre.

oh and while im here, i gotta say warcraft 3 is the best fun ive ever had with an online pc experience. hands down.

EDIT i forgot to mention Steam. i know we all kinda hate it, but what it represents is the start of genuine online, high speed access to games without publishers interests being proiritiesed over those of the gamer and the developer. respect for that ya'll.

'utterly convincing' is relative. I see the word 'photorealistic' used in a review of the first Rainbow Six. Physics have been around a lot longer, yes Havoc 2.0 is the current best but still, see above for relativity.

Changing the genre requires innovation, which HL2 lacked somewhat. This doesn't mean it's a bad game, I thought it was pretty good (the mapdesign and gameplay are better in Quake 4 though). HL2 didn't change the genre at all, just advanced it a little bit (which, to me, isn't 'changing' anymore seeing as everything evolves so fast nowadays).

Counter strike source, messin' around on my server, and owning noobs never gets borring, i play at least 24-30 hours a week.

BF" is Good Especially for LANS but it Gets boring after 40 hours play.

Battlefield 2. You are suppossed to play it online. Bit hard to do 64 player LAN :P

WORLD OF WARCRAFT......>>>dot..dot..dot...>>!!! and if you disagree u havent played it its a freaking fantastic beauty of a game (35 days gameplay and still havent got everything)

second is rollercoaster tycoon 1 back in the day or sims 1

Battlefield 2. You are suppossed to play it online. Bit hard to do 64 player LAN :P

Yeah i can appreciate that,but i did play BF1 with 13 players on each team,and that was amazing.

The best Pc games of all time would have to be this top 20 List

01 Warcraft 2

02 Diablo

03 Civilization

04 All Monkey Island games

05 Day of the tentacle

06 Outcast (still hoping for part 2)

07 Total War series

08 Leisuresuit Larry series

09 Sim City 2000

10 Command and Conquer

11 Ceasar III

12 Colonization

13 Age of Empires

14 the Need for Speed

15 The Settlers

16 Battlechess

17 Mafia

18 Homeworld

19 DUNE

20 The Incredible Machine

wheres halflife? and wheres quake...also sims...rollercoaster tycoon...everquest...world of warcraft

battlechess wtf

Rollercoaster Tycoon for the win.

I used to spend hours upon hours making stuff like this:

lollercoaster7kd.th.jpg

Edit - Diablo 2 gets an honourable mention for taking away 2 years of my life.

05 Day of the tentacle

13 Age of Empires

i love DOtT! evil tentacles :D

and most people know that i love age of empires :D

Rollercoaster Tycoon for the win.

I used to spend hours upon hours making stuff like this:

lollercoaster7kd.th.jpg

Edit - Diablo 2 gets an honourable mention for taking away 2 years of my life.

played Rollercoaster tycoon 3?

Worms - well its the PC game I've played the most at least. Don't think its revolutionary or anything but damn fun none the less.

Rollercoaster Tycoon rocks very very VERY hard :) I still play it to this day.

I didn't like 3, you had to put lights and stuff so you could see something at night, which kind of put me off, since it was still too dark. I'm probably acting conservative but I didn't like 3 at all.

Yes, I own Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 but, like Dieter, I don't like it.

Sure, the graphics are nice, and the firework displays were a nice touch.. but it just lacks the fun, addictiveness and ease-of-use that the original had. I could go on and on for pages about all the little details that annoy me about it, but that's for another day.

RCT3: Soaked made it marginally better with the addition of (basic) tunnels and Loudspeakers (something that was always lacking in RCT1&2, but could be worked around by placing a small ride underground with music on).

I've still spent a fair bit of time on it because, even though the controls are niggly, end results certainly are impressive.

Here's a couple of pictures of (incomplete) projects:

Entrance Plaza:

aaoverall8od.th.jpg

Jurassic Park River Rapids:

jpriverrapids69yd.th.jpg

yeah i agree, sometimes really complex games are just annoying cause by the time youve figured out how to work all of the features its gotten really boring.

Sign in to follow this