NEurope
Gaijin von Snikbah

Nintendo buys Monolith Soft

Your knowledge of the industry is scary sometimes.

He's like the computer in the batcave.

Yeah Pedro, you're right they have bought a VERY good group of people. My friends constantly scream about Xenosaga as well.

Things are definitely looking up.

I was thinking that perhaps this studio could try their hand at a Wii version of Mother/Earthbound sometime...

I was thinking that perhaps this studio could try their hand at a Wii version of Mother/Earthbound sometime...

inspired.....

I wish they'd focus on other stuff.

Leave Earthbound/Mother to HAL :) Besides it's questionable there's gonna be a Earthbound/Mother 4.

Well taken from kotaku don't know if this was posted before hand... Iwata has given a further insight into the purchase:

In the case of Monolith Software, Mr. Sugiura, the president, and Nintendo have a long-term relationship. How Mr. Sugiura thinks is close to how Nintendo thinks. The software Mr. Sugiura would like to create is in line with what Nintendo would like to have for its platform. So, we thought that Nintendo should support this idea, and we decided to take action.

If certain conditions are met, we may do the same thing in the future (M&A). However, we will be very careful and selective, so that we will only partner with people with whom Nintendo can create a long-term working relationship.

That's interesting... I wonder what they think of Free Radical's way of thinking...

In other news, Mark Bozon says Namco kept the rights to Xenosaga (and with that probably Baten Kaitos too) so that makes things a bit more complicating. I don't think Namco would be uninterested in Monolith developing Nintendo exclusives if they'd get a good share.

That's interesting... I wonder what they think of Free Radical's way of thinking...

In other news, Mark Bozon says Namco kept the rights to Xenosaga (and with that probably Baten Kaitos too) so that makes things a bit more complicating. I don't think Namco would be uninterested in Monolith developing Nintendo exclusives if they'd get a good share.

quoting what he said:
Nintendo acquired a majority share of Monolith Soft from Namco, but so far as we know it did not gain any licenses with the deal. Namco owns the Xenosaga brand and I expect that it will continue to publish the series, whether it's with Monolith Soft as the developer (and quite possibly as a Wii exclusive, which would be amazing) or with another company altogether. Nintendo shares a very good relationship with Namco there is always the chance that Xenosaga could continue on Wii. I wouldn't mind a Baten Kaitos sequel, either. The short, direct answer is that Nintendo doesn't own the license, but that doesn't mean Xenosaga won't come to Wii. Relationships have a way of making things happen. The Rogue Squadron series, for example, would've never happened on GameCube if Factor 5 wasn't in so good with Nintendo.
IGN is talking from their asses again it seems, AFAIK, Xenosaga was known for not being owned by Namco, but Monolith itself despite Namco (formerly) owning 96% of the studio itself.

This was said in the Xenosaga III forums, despite the US userbase being mostly a couple chauvinistic Anti-Nintendo, PS fanboys:

Monolith Soft made and owns the game. Namco-Bandai just distributed it.
Yeah, like you said, Monolith Soft made XS. Namco only simply published them, so it creates the Illusion that Namco-Bandai owned XS, unfortunately, that's far from true. This scenario makes me really wonder what is going to happen here.
Source: http://xenosaga3.namco.com/forums/showpost.php?p=51583&postcount=41

Their "unfortunately" is good for us; even when most of them are against Nintendo getting Xenosaga, probably because they don't realise after the franchise sales it was very unlikely for episode 4 to even get a budget... They should still know, a load better than IGN the conditions and property rights of the franchise.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Namco as the former publisher had to give the ok for a Xenosaga Episode I, II and III remake, or the recreation of it's storylines (or footage) in a game, or port for the Wii, but that doesn't mean they own the franchise itself, they have rights from the published games though.

Namco's share is always a door open for cooperations and all, but I'm afraid (and happy) they can't even say no if Monolith wants to do a new Xenosaga for the Wii, and they won't have the option to publish it themselfes, they might still appear on the credits if there's a cooperation (for example, using Namco's assets like their Motion Capture studios instead of Nintendo's), kinda like MGS Twin Snakes, it was SK but Konami did all the cutscenes motion capture and overseen the project; Namco wouldn't overseen a Xenosaga game now though, it's not their franchise.

i loved baten kaitos. hope they can bring that to wii and ds.

never played xenosaga, though heard of it many times.

good buy

That's great to hear Pedro. I'd love Wiimakes of Xenosaga as I've never played them before, but the concept seems amazing.

4.jpg

Now they have to put this babe in Brawl :heh:

well i loved Xenogears one of my fav rpgs but i never played the sagas...just never got around to them i guess and i think the espiode thing made me not want to play it..i think the thought of putting 60 hours into just eps 1 and still havinging to wait for an ending would of killed me....They really havnt done to much as a company so i cant wait to see what they come up with...disater cant be the only thing they are working on cause they did what 5 rpgs in a few years...even tho sagas engine was used 3 times so maybe they are not as big as i think...hmmm...

I would of rather kraft...cause i like mac and cheese...:grin:

ps...NINTENDO BUY CROSSBEAM I WANT ORB IT SOUNDS SO COOL :p...sry fro the all caps i was really yelling at nintendo :p

ps...NINTENDO BUY CROSSBEAM I WANT ORB IT SOUNDS SO COOL :p...sry fro the all caps i was really yelling at nintendo :p
Orb is exclusive already :indeed:

Seriously, I hope this move means more overtakes. Some studios are really asking for a buyout - I'm looking at Amusement Vision (buy Monkey Ball and let them do F-Zero WX) and Free Radical (any FPS would do).

Orb... well I don't want to sound pessimistic but I doubt we'll see that:

from their website:

September 21, 2006

Orb site updated, Thorn site launched

that was their last update...

they still have there forms up and running tho and the mods still say that orb is coming...hey i would rather them not work on the site they are short handed as it is..

Take a soak in its translated freshness.

http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp

Interesting no?

3dcg1.jpg

[zenosagaepisodo] III [tsuaratousutora] ©2001-2006 NBGI

[zenosaga] I II © 200,120,057,856 NBGI

Batten [kaitosu] II ~ wing of start and 嗣 child ~ of pantheon © NBGI

[namukokurosukapukon] CHARACTERS&SOUND: © CAPCOM STRIDER: © TO KIKAKU. © NBGI ©2005 NBGI

[zenosagaepisodo] II [equinoctial week of good and evil] © 20,012,004 NBGI

[zenosagahurikusu]  © 200,120,008,704 NBGI ©2004 NBGI

Batten [kaitosu] the ~ the wing which is not ended the sea ~ which is lost ©2003 NAMCO LTD., ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

[zenosagaepisodo] I [rirodeitsudo] [will to power] © 20,012,004 NBGI

[zenosagaepisodo] I [will to power] ©2001 NBGI

[zenosagaepisodo] III [tsuaratousutora] ©2001-2006 NBGI

[zenosaga] I II © 200,120,057,856 NBGI

Batten [kaitosu] II ~ wing of start and 嗣 child ~ of pantheon © NBGI

[namukokurosukapukon] CHARACTERS&SOUND: © CAPCOM STRIDER: © TO KIKAKU. © NBGI ©2005 NBGI

[zenosagaepisodo] II [equinoctial week of good and evil] © 20,012,004 NBGI

[zenosagahurikusu]  © 200,120,008,704 NBGI ©2004 NBGI

Batten [kaitosu] the ~ the wing which is not ended the sea ~ which is lost ©2003 NAMCO LTD., ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

[zenosagaepisodo] I [rirodeitsudo] [will to power] © 20,012,004 NBGI

[zenosagaepisodo] I [will to power] ©2001 NBGI

Thats just because they published those games - nothing to do with owning the franchise copyrights.