NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

Alan Ball 1945-2007

_42844051_ballmbe.jpg

Ok so I know it's been mentioned in the football thread. But I do think this deserves a thread of it's own, just been watching the news and got a massive pang of sadness when seeing his son talking. The man was a legend.

I'll alway remember him for keeping Pompey in Division 1 in the 1999 season when we were really down on our luck and needed somebody to guide us to safety he was the man.

As Wikipedia puts it:

In February 1998 Ball returned to Portsmouth as manager but his contract was terminated on 9 December 1999 after the club endured a near-fatal financial crisis and came close to relegation from Division One. When he was appointed Pompey were several points adrift at the bottom of the table. In 1998 he masterminded a miraculous escape that saw two of his former sides (Stoke City and Manchester City) relegated after Pompey won 3-1 at Bradford City on the final day of the season. On his retirement, 54-year-old Ball was the last remaining England World Cup winner in management.

He played for many clubs in his career, including Blackpool (twice),Everton,Arsenal, Southampton (twice) and even managed to play in Asia and in the US..for even more insight into his career check out wikipedia's page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ball_(footballer)

Most will remember him as the cheeky squeaky voiced youngster who despite Geoff Hurst's historic hat trick managed to walk away with the man of the match award in the 66 World Cup Final!

Here's a report from Sky Sports and a brief look at his career:

Hampshire Police have confirmed that Ball was found collapsed in his garden attempting to fight a bonfire.

The 61-year-old had a distinguished career as both a player and manager, but he will always be remembered most fondly for his part in England's World Cup win.

Whilst Geoff Hurst's hat-trick took the plaudits - many singled out Ball's all-action performance against West Germany as one the main catalysts behind the victory.

During a playing career that spanned 21 years, Ball played for nine clubs - including spells in North America and Asia.

Ball began his career with Blackpool - a club he would play for twice - after being rejected by Wolves and Bolton as a teenager.

Ball shone with The Tangerines and earned a place in the World Cup squad in 1966 at the age of 21 after making his debut for England the year before. His performances for Sir Alf Ramsey's side saw a host of clubs battle for his signature - before Everton paid £110,000 for him in August 1966.

In 1971 Arsenal paid a club record £220,000 for Ball and he flourished at Highbury - before leaving in 1976 when he joined Southampton.

Ball spent two years on the South Coast before joining the newly launched North American Soccer League - where he enjoyed spells with Philadelphia Fury and Vancouver Whitecaps.

Ball was then handed his first managerial job as he returned to Bloomfield Road to become Blackpool player-manager in 1980 - but his love affair with his first club ended just 12 months later when he was fired.

After leaving Blackpool he returned to Southampton as a player alongside fellow greats Mick Channon and Kevin Keegan, before he transferred to Hong Kong for a brief stint with Eastern AA.

His playing days ended with Bristol Rovers - who he joined in early 1983 - after playing some 975 competitive games and earning 72 caps for his country.

Ball got back on the managerial merry-go-round in 1984 when he joined Portsmouth for a hugely successful stint. He guided Pompey to the top-flight in 1987, but following relegation he departed in 1989.

He then took up assistant managerial roles at Colchester and then Stoke - where he was appointed boss after Mick Mills was fired. But Ball was not to last long in the Potteries as he left in 1991.

Ball then joined Exeter and enjoyed a three-year stint with The Grecians - during which time he also spent time as England coach under Graham Taylor.

In 1994, Ball was appointed manager of another of his former clubs - Southampton - and he guided Saints to tenth place in the Premiership. His success at The Dell attracted the interest of Manchester City and he was lured away in July 1995.

However, after suffering relegation, Ball quit City just three games into the following season.

He returned to Portsmouth in 1998 and helped them avoid relegation - but he was to leave in 1999 and retire from professional football. Upon his retirement, he was the last of the 1966 winning squad to be involved in the game.

Up until his death, Ball was working actively as a football pundit and was part of Sky Sports' coverage of the opening of the new Wembley Stadium when England Under 21s played Italy earlier this year.

It is a real shame that this happened, it was completely unexpected. :sad:

R.I.P.

Wow, this is a shock. I remember seeing the guy on TV regularly. RIP.

Wow, this is a shock. I remember seeing the guy on TV regularly. RIP.

Yeah I think that is part of the shock. Aside from him being the youngest, he was easily the most active out of the '66 team, he was often on skysports as a pundit and you always heard from him when England played..

RIP

I hope all football games in England honour him with a minutes silence at the weekend.

RIP

I hope all football games in England honour him with a minutes silence at the weekend.

I'm sure they will...hopefully Champs League match tonight will as well.

ive met alan and got his autograph back when he was the pompey boss, seemed like such a lovely bloke... this is such a shame, 61 is pretty young tbh... but i know hes in a better place and hes left behind alot to be admired... class player and class individual - R.I.P.

jealous...real jealous. you a pompey fan to then?

I thought you meant the writer Alan Ball (American Beauty, Six Feet Under etc) and was actually upset. Now im indifferent.

Disappointed by both points, first more than the second. The man deserves a lot more respect than that to be honest.

"The man" being the writer or footballer?

;426928]I thought you meant the writer Alan Ball (American Beauty' date=' Six Feet Under etc) and was actually upset. Now im indifferent.[/quote']

What the hell Ashley!

Just because you thought it was someone else that it does not matter anymore that someone else had died.

What the hell Ashley!

Just because you thought it was someone else that it does not matter anymore that someone else had died.

No I wasn't saying it wasn't sad. I was saying personally im not effected by it because I never knew who it was. Of course its sad. But I was saying as I thought it was the writer at first I was upset, but now, as I have no idea who/what Alan Ball is/has done I'm not as bothered as others would have been.

Im not that jaded.

;426961]No I wasn't saying it wasn't sad. I was saying personally im not effected by it because I never knew who it was. Of course its sad. But I was saying as I thought it was the writer at first I was upset' date=' but now, as I have no idea who/what Alan Ball is/has done I'm not as bothered as others would have been.

Im not [i']that[/i] jaded.

Okay Ashley.

Fuck Off

The ignorance you all show, is disgraceful a tragic death at what Is now considered a relativley young age..

A highly respectable member of society and brought alot of joy into people's lives, and played with passion the sport he loves..

Best of all he played for Everton, isn't that right Shimmin?

Best of all he played for Everton, isn't that right Shimmin?

Yeah among many other clubs, but to be honest, teams shouldn't get in the way of the death of a player, who was incredibly talented, and won stuff, only people can dream of.

Had honest, but forthright views on football and was a pundit who knew his stuff, I'm sure he was on Radio City and Century FM on the odd occasion and when he talked, he always had something worthwhile to say.

A Gentlemen, both on and off the field

Died a Tragic Death, and I for one am shocked he is gone

Footballing Legend If ever their was one

Can I request that people who don't know Alan Ball stay out of this thread and leave it for those who wish to pay their respects? This isn't the place for an argument.

Thanks.

There's no point replying to Oxigen waste's comment, the only reason he posted was to see everyone on here get really angry with him. Don't rise to it guys and girls, lets remember this legend, his amazing playing career, and just the great man off the pitch.

My dad told me today that he saw him playing for Everton once where at one point he sat on the ball in front of two defenders and waved at them to come at him. That is the mark of a true lover of the game when he can have so much fun playing.

Rest in peace.

Can I request that people who don't know Alan Ball stay out of this thread and leave it for those who wish to pay their respects? This isn't the place for an argument.

Thanks.

My sentiments as well. I can understand people not being as affected as others, I mean even the degree I'm affected by it is nothing compared to other fans as I only remember him for one thing (keeping Pompey up) and the feeling all these fans feel is nothing compared to the other members of the '66 squad and his family.

But I really don't think people should write that they are not bothered or indifferent, rather just keep such feelings to themselves, if it was somebody you cared about/respected you wouldn't like it if people were saying they weren't bothered, so people who it matters to can show their respects.

Anyway did anyone see the sky sports Alan Ball: A Tribute last night?

If I offended someone, I'm sorry, but I was angry at the topic starter for making me think one of my favourite artists had died!

How dare you say that. I started the thread for people who wanted to show respect and your angry at me, selfish...

If Oxigen Waste thought it was the writer who had died, he should've checked elsewhere such as Wikipedia to see if it was the writer who had popped his clogs.

But, seeing as he didn't, and instead went on to call a '66 World Cup hero, a brilliant footballer and an English treasure a "stupid athlete", then that doesn't count as clever, in fact, it makes you look a bit like a tw*t. Same goes to Ashley. Both should know better.

Again, R.I.P. Alan Ball. 1945-2007.

This news really doesn't affect me in any way . . . carry on.

I love how you all turn to jackasses the minute you sit behind your computer. Come say that to my face, if you please...

Believe me, I'd fucking love to. Where do you live?

This news really doesn't affect me in any way . . . carry on.

So you thought you'd tell us? After all the trouble in this thread? Cock face.

Sign in to follow this