NEurope
Dante

Gundam MS Front 0079

These gundams are clunky and don't move in an organic way because thats how they are in the series. They are slow and clunky and so you'll get a different experience to some of the other gundam games where they are quick and blast around. But its seems like this is going to be way better than the Federation Vs. Zeon game that was on the ps2, based on the same series. But boy do I wish they did something on Wing.

Hell yeah! Gundam Wing was awesome, the oly game I know of based on that was on the SNES, it was 2D beat-em-up where you selected a mobile suit and battled street Fighter style!

Awesome, they have added more characters into the 0079 universe, and yeah, they have also come up with new models for that era too!!

Hints towards another 0079 series? :P

Nice stuff! Those Dom troops are looking good. The could do with using a lighting effect on the main Gundam's eyes though

Holy sh*t... A GOOD GUNDAM GAME:

I just picked this up on my lunch break today from my local import store. I’ll give this game a good run-through tonight and update the first post with some impressions, scans, and hopefully some off-screen videos.

I doubt this game will repeat the tragedy that was MSG: Crossfire, especially since the Blue Destiny and Efreet are in it. =D

EDIT: It's soooooooo much better than Crossfire.

Think of Gundam Side Story from the Dreamcast but with faster gameplay and a simple, but extremely fun control system. Basically the game is more arcade-like than simulation. I'm rather impressed at how simple and intuitive the control scheme is, although I wish the bounding box was a tad smaller instead of the screen edges. This game basically controls like the advanced controls of MP3 (i.e. free lock on, etc.). Weapons work pretty well, although the beam weaponry could move a little faster… as beam weaponry should. Using the sniper scope is pretty fun too and you can use it with pretty much any main weapon. Just click any part of the d-pad on the wii-mote to activate it and press it again to deactivate it.

Close combat is pretty much "waggle really fast to do combos." Not really engaging, but eh, it's fun when you start clashing with an enemy. When you win a clash, you’re treated to a generic cutscene of your mobile suit comboing the enemy. There are also counters in this game as well, as the computer seems to do that all the time as I rush them with my melee attacks. They are activated by pressing the attack button at the right time while you're blocking a melee attack. Just remember... if you don't waggle fast enough, melee attacks become really unresponsive. There's also guard breaking too. The slashing amounts to a simplified version of DQ Swords but a lot less precise. Funny thing is, the game is just as fun.

The story mode is the typical “see the one year war from another perspective.†You can either choose to join either the Federation SRT Unit or the Zeon Braugher Squadron, which basically consist of small teams like the ones found Rise from the Ashes or 08th MS team. You have two support units that you can customize like yourself, although you can choose not to have them at all. Your team and your load out is based on a numerical value i.e. ???/200 points for example. Different MS and weaponry for each of your mates and yourself cost a certain amount, so you can’t beef up on the best weaponry for each of your units. There are lots of defending missions so far, but nothing seems too complex. You can also grab weapons of defeated enemies and use them in later missions. Sometimes you can pick up multiple weapons in a round, but once you finish, you can only choose 1 to keep in your inventory.

You also gain mobile suits and new weaponry by completing levels, although you might have to clear a stage with a certain rank in order to do that (which is probably the case). This also applies to getting S Ranks in the Ace Pilot missions. For example, if you get an S Rank on Char's first mission, you'll have his personal Zaku in your hangar for use in story mode.

The story mode crosses also over in some of the anime storylines, too. Like in the Zeon mode, you have to protect Aina and the Apsalus, in the Feddie story, you’ll encounter Char in Jaburo, and you’ll see many other cameos as well. The game also has multiple branches so there's lots of replay value considering you can't unlock everything with one run-through. You'll also unlock more Ace Pilots in story mode as well, like Norris Packard and Shiro Amada from the 08th MS Team.

If you want to do a couple anime storylines, just go on Ace Pilot mode. There, you become one of the lead characters like Amuro, Char, etc. and just blast your way through either one or many missions depending on the character. Beating them unlocks more characters in Ace Pilot and in Survival/Versus/Combination modes.

I wish the game had more polish, especially on the graphical side because there are some random slowdowns. The MS models are pretty nice, but everything else is pretty assy and they sure do not look better on my Mitsu DLP. Stages range from barren to building filled so the game isn’t a total wasteland like screenshots depict. Other than that, MS Sensen 0079 is pretty decent. It’s a nice alternative to the other OYW games out there and although it isn’t as deep as it could be, it’s a lot better than most Gundam games out there.

After playing this game for a couple days now, this is in fact one of the best Gundam games out there. The control scheme makes this game extremely enjoyable and the fast paced combat is nothing short of great. It does take a while to get used to the control scheme, but once you use it, you really don't want to move back to the old traditional ones, like RE4 Wii over it's predecessors. If you love Gundam and have a JP Wii, buy this game. If you want to give Gundam a chance after it let you down many times before, this game will make you think otherwise. I had less than average expectations when I bought it, but this is by far one of the best Wii purchases I've made. Even if you don't have Gundam glasses, check it out.

IGN Preview:

Gundam MS Front 0079 Playtest

Twenty years and one controller revolution later, a Gundam game that you'll have to try.

After twenty years and dozens of sequels, it seems that the formula for a Gundam game that isn't mediocre may have at last been found. On top of a quality job from the army over at Bandai's Gundam game conversion factory, we have the Wiimote to thank for that.

Released Thursday in Japan, Mobile Suit Gundam MS Front 0079 combines the classic big robot anime franchise with first person-style controls courtesy of the Wiimote and nunchuck combo. The result, at least through the first few missions that I've managed to play, is a fast, intense game of mech warfare with controls so intuitive that going back to a standard controller may be tough.

The basic control scheme in this second Wii Gundam game (the first one was SD Gundam, an enjoyable launch title that required that you pound the Wiimote like a hammer) is what you'd expect of a Wii FPS, with the nunchuck used for movement and strafing and the Wiimote for looking around, turning, and targeting enemies. You can dash and jump via the Z button and lock on to the nearest enemy by pressing C. Firing is done with the B trigger, with weapons easily selected by tapping the minus button.

The controls work well during long-range combat. It's easy to lock yourself onto an enemy and dash around while blasting away. So precise is the aiming, in fact, that I often find myself forgetting to lock on, but still have no problem keeping my sights set on a particular enemy craft. The only trouble I've had with long-range combat and overall navigation is with the jump and dash being placed on the same button; you have to come to a complete stop in order to execute a jump rather than a dash.

If you run out of bullets and can't find any powerups on the battlefield, or if you just want to take an enemy out real fast, you can move in close for hand-to-hand combat. Press A when nearby an enemy, and your Gundam unit will take out his sword. You can then swing the Wiimote horizontally or vertically for direct attacks.

The game has a simple combo-based melee combat system in place. You can block incoming melee attacks by holding down B, and counter blows with a well timed press of the attack button. With some well timed counters on the part of both yourself and your opponent, it's possible to get into a Soul Calibur style face-off. Here, you emerge victorious by shaking your Wiimote furiously.

The ability to swing the Wiimote during melee combat is an obvious feature that one would expect of a Wii game. While the game could have definitely used a few more tweaks to the accuracy of this particular area of combat, it's still a nice bonus on top of the refined long-range combat system. Much like other games that require you to swing the Wiimote in order to slash enemies (Dragon Quest Swords comes to mind), it's surprising how much such an imprecise attack scheme can draw you into the fight. You'll definitely want to make sure to give yourself ample room to swing.

On top of the twitch-based action, there's a strategic element to the combat as well. You fight alongside up to two AI-controlled ally pilots. With the press of the "1" button, you can switch between nine formations, focusing on offense, defense, or balance.

You're also free to assign weapons to all the Mobile Suits in your group. While your arsenal grows with each mission, each weapon is assigned a point value, and you're limited in the total number of points that you can equip. One possible strategy is to get rid of one wingman completely and equip the remaining two with the best weapons.

Wiimote controls aside, this is your

typical Gundam combat game, with all the elements we've come to expect over the years

. In the story mode, which you can play from the perspective of either the Earth Federation Force or ZEON sides, the game is split rigidly into missions, taking you from a briefing sequence to a short conversation sequence between characters, to a customization screen, and finally to the battle field. There's nothing wild about the presentation, although it's worth noting that the game is fully voiced both during the between-mission conversation sequences and the numerous cut-ins during the missions.

The game has plenty of options for those who tire of the story mode. From the start, you have access to the Ace Pilot mode. Here, ten classic characters like Amuro Ray are at your disposal for a series of free missions.

Two players can also get in on the action via a few multiplayer modes. Versus mode lets you face off against the CPU or another player for a split-screen team-based battle. This can be played cooperatively, with two players facing off against a CPU team. Survival mode puts you and an optional second player on the battle field for a three minute test to see who can get the highest score. The game also includes the Combination Mode, which offers two player cooperative missions.

I've only played a few missions so far, but thanks to its intuitive control scheme, Gundam MS Front 0079 is already the most fun I've ever had with a Gundam game. The game hasn't been officially announced for America yet, so those wanting to experience the pairing of Japan's favorite mech with its favorite console will have to import.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/808/808206p1.html