NEurope
Stocka

Baten Kaitos Origins Official Thread

i had no idea a sequel was ever menitioned on Gc. When did this happen? anyway its great news!

It is actually not a sequal as far as I know. it is actually a prequel.

What I don't seem to get is that by doing a prequel you only get a different story within the same setting. The problem I have with that is that you only have so many islands in the sky and they are not that big.

I know that from a developers point of view this would be a blessing because you would not have to lose time on creating new worlds and surroundings. Just the better graphics and storyline. the rest are be the same.

I personally would have preferred the story within the "after baten Kaitos ends" setting. From a players perspective it would add to the " I'm playing a new adventure" feeling.

You know how in the end of baten kaitos (those of you who finished it will know) everything changed. From that point everyting will be new. It ads to the world of Baten Kaitos. But with this part it will stay the same. just a different story with mostly if not all different characters

That doesn't mean I won't play it though

:wink:

It is actually not a sequal as far as I know. it is actually a prequel.

What I don't seem to get is that by doing a prequel you only get a different story within the same setting. The problem I have with that is that you only have so many islands in the sky and they are not that big.

I know that from a developers point of view this would be a blessing because you would not have to lose time on creating new worlds and surroundings. Just the better graphics and storyline. the rest are be the same.

I personally would have preferred the story within the "after baten Kaitos ends" setting. From a players perspective it would add to the " I'm playing a new adventure" feeling.

You know how in the end of baten kaitos (those of you who finished it will know) everything changed. From that point everyting will be new. It ads to the world of Baten Kaitos. But with this part it will stay the same. just a different story with mostly if not all different characters

That doesn't mean I won't play it though

:wink:

Hmmm, well but think about this: there could be more islands now OR there could still be worlds on the ground.

Looking at the picture of the Empire, its rather empty compare to BK 1, which means everything is just starting to bloom.

And you say you'd like for it to have continued after the end of BK 1, but then, what would you do?I mean sure the:

****** spoiler********

Land is back to normal and all the evil is gone, so what would you be doing then? Everything is fixed right? n_n

*****end spoiler*****

I think that in this game (since it appears "we" the player) are being trained as Emperial soldiers, we're probably sent out on some mission and thats where everything goes wrong (the stuff we know from BK1) 0_0

Plus, there would be new worlds looking at those screens n_n I never seen that jungle nor the place with the shiny lights n_n

--Ray

The jungle looks sexy.

By the way this news gives me hope that not only is there a good chance of Baten Kaitos III beign on Rev, but also the likely chance that it will develop into a big series like Final Fantasy. DS one is in development too remember.

I think that in this game (since it appears "we" the player) are being trained as Emperial soldiers, we're probably sent out on some mission and thats where everything goes wrong (the stuff we know from BK1) 0_0

--Ray

Operation Sweep *if that was what it was called* maybe? But I think that was a few years later than 10 years before part 1.

The jungle looks sexy.

By the way this news gives me hope that not only is there a good chance of Baten Kaitos III beign on Rev, but also the likely chance that it will develop into a big series like Final Fantasy. DS one is in development too remember.

Thats a very good point my friend, they could make BK 3 set during the ancient wars when they locked up the God, unless of course thats whats going on in this one (BK2)

The screenshot with them masked people, they look like the ones in the BK1 intro, the people who selaed the god away 0_0

Operation Sweep *if that was what it was called* maybe? But I think that was a few years later than 10 years before part 1.

No i didnt mean operation sweep, but... I mean whatever it was that cause the Empire to get so evil and stuff n_n

scr_002.jpg

Is it me or does this look like the flashback part in BK in the woods where theres Melodia and Kalas?

Well in the screenshot she's saying something like:

-

Spirits...isn't it?

Don't you think it's your (when talking to Sagi, the boy) legend of the possesing spirit?

-

This must be about the guardian spirit.

:shock:

I just realised IGN had posted tons of information about it!

Check this out! (I've bolded the really interesting bits)

Fully unveiled in the latest issue of Japan's Famitsu magazine as one of Namco's big Tokyo Game Show unveilings, Baten Kaitos 2 takes place 20 years prior to the start of the original. You play as Sagi, a member of the empire's "Elite" force of fighters. Sagi heads off on a quest to determine the nature of a mysterious change that's appearing in the world.

Actually, you don't play as Sagi like you play as the main characters of other RPGs. You actually play as a spirit that resides within Sagi, an entity that represents Sagi's "true self," and give "advice" to Sagi as the game progresses. The notion of a spirit residing in a character is actually a part of the Baten Kaitos storyline. The world of Baten Kaitos was formed when the living spirits of two separate worlds connected, and people who have spirits within them are considered wise.

With Baten Kaitos 2 taking place in the same world as the original, you might expect to see the original's cast of characters return -- and you'd be right. Gibari returns as a 14-year-old. Savyna is just 5 in Baten Kaitos 2! Also known to return are Geldoblame (25) and Ladekahn (12).( :shock: Savyna when she was 5, lol, should be interesting...)

The cast also has some newbies aside from Sagi. The game's heroine is Miri, a friend of Sagi who joins you from the start of your adventure. Also joining in on the fun is Giro, a strange doll who comes into the picture mid way through the adventure.

The original title was known for its gorgeous world art, and Baten Kaitos seems like it won't break the budding tradition. In fact you can actually count on seeing many of the same dungeons and towns from the original in the sequel, although they now allow for players to explore alternate areas. New areas will also appear in the game, including brand new continents.

Gameplay will feature a return of the card-based Magnus battle system. Details have yet to be revealed, but with Baten Kaitos 2 due for Japanese release in December, we doubt we'll have to wait too long to see more. Stay tuned!

http://cube.ign.com/articles/650/650871p1.html

Will it have good Voice acting and storyline this time?

If it doesn't, you can count me out. Looks gorgeous but the last one was so piss poor because of the awfull plot, shite voice acting and repulsive art style. This looks better though.

:shock:

I just realised IGN had posted tons of information about it!

Check this out! (I've bolded the really interesting bits)

Fully unveiled in the latest issue of Japan's Famitsu magazine as one of Namco's big Tokyo Game Show unveilings, Baten Kaitos 2 takes place 20 years prior to the start of the original. You play as Sagi, a member of the empire's "Elite" force of fighters. Sagi heads off on a quest to determine the nature of a mysterious change that's appearing in the world.

Actually, you don't play as Sagi like you play as the main characters of other RPGs. You actually play as a spirit that resides within Sagi, an entity that represents Sagi's "true self," and give "advice" to Sagi as the game progresses. The notion of a spirit residing in a character is actually a part of the Baten Kaitos storyline. The world of Baten Kaitos was formed when the living spirits of two separate worlds connected, and people who have spirits within them are considered wise.

With Baten Kaitos 2 taking place in the same world as the original, you might expect to see the original's cast of characters return -- and you'd be right. Gibari returns as a 14-year-old. Savyna is just 5 in Baten Kaitos 2! Also known to return are Geldoblame (25) and Ladekahn (12).( :shock: Savyna when she was 5, lol, should be interesting...)

The cast also has some newbies aside from Sagi. The game's heroine is Miri, a friend of Sagi who joins you from the start of your adventure. Also joining in on the fun is Giro, a strange doll who comes into the picture mid way through the adventure.

The original title was known for its gorgeous world art, and Baten Kaitos seems like it won't break the budding tradition. In fact you can actually count on seeing many of the same dungeons and towns from the original in the sequel, although they now allow for players to explore alternate areas. New areas will also appear in the game, including brand new continents.

Gameplay will feature a return of the card-based Magnus battle system. Details have yet to be revealed, but with Baten Kaitos 2 due for Japanese release in December, we doubt we'll have to wait too long to see more. Stay tuned!

http://cube.ign.com/articles/650/650871p1.html

I already said half that stuff... :aww:

Never got the chance to play the first baten... maybe it's possible to get it at a cheap price nowadays. hmmm.

Lookin' great, I'm almost certain I'll get this ASAP(in english), since I think the first one is one of the best RPGs this console generation.

All I can say is that this game is looking very awesome. It looks pretty similar to the original...it's not looking like much has changed, but I don't that much. The new main character reminds me very much of Kalas for some reason.

I can't wait for more info on this game.

Ok people after looking at the screens im impressed. Now im about to admit something you wont like....I never played the First game. Im sorry please dont hurt me! I always wanted to pick it up but never got round to it. I even said I would on the official topic back on C-E forums. Now being an Rpg fan I really want to get involved with this game so can someone tell me how the whole battle system works and basically how the game plays?

Thanks

Ok people after looking at the screens im impressed. Now im about to admit something you wont like....I never played the First game. Im sorry please dont hurt me! I always wanted to pick it up but never got round to it. I even said I would on the official topic back on C-E forums. Now being an Rpg fan I really want to get involved with this game so can someone tell me how the whole battle system works and basically how the game plays?

Thanks

No problems n_n here goes:

You have two things to take into consideration:

You have your Level and you have your Class.

Leveling up will simply increases your status, such as Attack and Speed etc.

Class up will allow you to hold more cards in your hand and play more cards during your turn. Also increases your deck total.

Starting the game; you find yourself having a deck of 30 cards and you can play only 2 cards each turn.

Now for types of cards: You have your attack cards, and your defense cards and your healing cards. (most important anyway, there are also cards that seem useless but we'll get to that in a minute)

Each character has his/her own special weapon cards or uses magic cards. Each card of course has a certain number of strength. You use these cards obviously during your offense turn.

Some weapons also have defensive power so some can be used during a Defensive turn.

Healing cards can be used by pressing the R button to target your own party instead of the enemy.

Next thing you should know: Cards have numbers on them, playing cards in a certain way will increase the amount of damge you'll deal or decrease the amount of damage yer opponent deals. Or increases the amount you heal.

For example: if you play an attack card which has the number 1 on it, and you play a card that has number 2 on it after that, you will get a small bonus to increases damage.

On the highest Class you get to play 9 cards, if you succeed in making a 1-9 or 9-1 combo you get a 310% (1-9) extra damage bonus or 230% (9-1)not sure.

Pairs: if you make pairs, ya know, play 2 cards with the same number, you'll get an addictional bonus. Sometimes its better to play only 2 cards if you can make a pair rather than playing a 3rd one. (i think, or you wont get the Pair bonus)

As the game progresses, you'll get better cards and they will have more numbers on them, you can use the c-stick to choose a card and depending on the direction, you'll get a certain number. (this will help you get better combos)

Another thing you should know. As you Class gets higher, you get to play more cards HOWEVER, the time to choose cards decreases. From the start you have an invinite amount of time but in your highest class you get a mere2 or 3 seconds to choose a card. (If yer not in time your combo ends.)

Finishing attacks:

There are special cards that strike a powerfull blow, and will also end the attack, so make sure you use that last. Depending on the level of these Special Moves, they cant be used first and the higher the level the more cards you need to play before you can use it. (Which is never a problem really)

Elements:

Like most rpgs this game uses the Elements system. These are the elements:

-Fire

-Water

-Light

-Dark

-Wind

-Chronos

-Neutral (no element)

Now, a thing you should know, playing opposing elements during a turn is a big no no, opposing elemnts reduce damage dealt by previous elemnt cards.

For example:

you play a normal card to deal 10 damage, a fire card that deals 1 damage and 6 Fire damage and after that you play a Water card that deals 1 damage and 7 water damage.

If I'm not mistaking, you attack willnow deal only 13 damage, since the water card nullifies the Fire card completely and thus leaving you with only 1 point of water damage plus 1 regular andanother 1 regular and the 10.

So build your decks so they never contain opposing elements or just dont use opposing elemnets in one turn.

Lets see what else is there; there are also special combo cards. They appear to be useless at first but playing them in a certain order in combination with other cards will get you a brand new card, which you can take a sprice after the battle.

For example: you use a iceblock next use the sculpting knife, and you get an ice sculpture n_n

Thats about it for the battle system, if theres more questions please ask.

--Ray

Oh my god Ray! I'll give you a rep point for taking you're time to do that.

n_n thanks Sk8! Much appreciated!

And t'was my pleasure, I actually wanna play the game again now ;_; *finished Prime 2 instead*

Thanks Ray that was some great info for me. I have been looking around the net for number 1 but everywhere is either sold out or I have to wait 2 weeks for it so once again fate has stepped in and stopped me playing it when im in the mood for it.

Thanks Ray that was some great info for me. I have been looking around the net for number 1 but everywhere is either sold out or I have to wait 2 weeks for it so once again fate has stepped in and stopped me playing it when im in the mood for it.

Most welcome my friend. Hope you will find a copy anyway. I imported it really early, and I think its now available for half price here oin Holland, though thats no good to you I suppose...

Let me know if you get it

--Ray

I have ordered it but I plan on searching for it in a few game stores that are near me so if i get it before the 2 weeks then I will just cancel....I WILL PLAY THIS GAME!

I hope they fix the problems I with the card system in the first game..

Eleborate! Geez.. What problems???

I loved the system but I often found it a little annoying when in a defensive turn I would only have NON defensive weps and then would have to get Beat up bad. Then again its all about how you manage your Deck.

Overall though the System is just Frantic, Super Cool! And the best turn based system I have seen for a long time. Its so frantic sometimes it seems close to Real Time.

Baten Kaitos II is just like... the best news right now.

I still haven't completed the 1st yet, but I am nearly there. ^^

Eleborate! Geez.. What problems???

I loved the system but I often found it a little annoying when in a defensive turn I would only have NON defensive weps and then would have to get Beat up bad. Then again its all about how you manage your Deck.

Overall though the System is just Frantic, Super Cool! And the best turn based system I have seen for a long time. Its so frantic sometimes it seems close to Real Time.

Baten Kaitos II is just like... the best news right now.

I still haven't completed the 1st yet, but I am nearly there. ^^

I agree. To me there was nothing wrong with the battle system. And yes I got beat up quite often because I didnt have any good defense cards n_n. Never really died though... yay! for healing!

I had a great save game where all my characters were at level 99 n_n don't need defense cards then. Got a 1-9 combo every turn. Was just training alot in the same place till I got about 30 copies of some of the best weapons n_n

No i didnt mean operation sweep, but... I mean whatever it was that cause the Empire to get so evil and stuff n_n

No I meant that we might be able to witness it in the game. :wink:

I never got my characters to lvl 99 in the first game. It wasn't really necessary as lvl 65 was enough to beat the final boss. I hope we'll get some really tough optional bosses in part 2 so it will be necessary. That was one of the few things that was missing from the first one IMO.

No I meant that we might be able to witness it in the game. :wink:

I never got my characters to lvl 99 in the first game. It wasn't really necessary as lvl 65 was enough to beat the final boss. I hope we'll get some really tough optional bosses in part 2 so it will be necessary. That was one of the few things that was missing from the first one IMO.

Ah okay I see what you mean now eheh sorry my bad n_n;;;

Hmm yeah its not necessary thats true, but I was training to get better weapons and lots of copies of em n_n so yeah I just kept levelling up too.

Its the kinda game you don't want to end, but yeah you'll want to fight the bosss eventually.

And I agree with you, there should be more optional stuff n_n. Like, a dungeon with extremely strong enemies and of course a special boss. Though I loved each character's personal sidequest, that kept me busy for quite a while n_n. (Especially Xelha's 0_0 though that one was cool )

0_0 need..more..info