NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Wolf

My Future Plans

You've just said what I (kinda) want to do.

I think thats a great idea. Where you learning Japanes from? School (?:( )

I'm planning to do Games Technology or Astrophysics at University (and do all the University things you do in the mean time), and then go on to a job with a company in a agreement with the particular University.

And see where life goes from there.

Well, I'll make it short atm because i'm doing h/w at the moment and i'll elaborate at a later date.

Would like to become a games journo. Have a big passion for gaming and I enjoy expressing myself through words, so i'd like to combine the two. I'm keeping my options open though as I enjoy/am doing well at science. I wouldn't mind taking Physics or Biology into further education.

Yeah, I learn it at school. I'm the only one who does it. It's really pissing me off, the school is encouraging everyone to do Mandarin so no one does Japanese. They are thinking of making it compulsery for the younger years. Saying that, I might do it as a "lightbite" for A-Levels.

At least they had Mandarin at your school. At my High School they introduced madarin to lunchtime lessons. After linking with a chinese school through HSBC, they were gonna lin to Japan but went to China instead :agnry:

The only this related to Japan in college was a 30 minute lesson or so one lunchtime in a multi national week or something :(

I'd assume you'd have to be reasonably fluent in Japanese (which takes years and years for a Western person) to even remotely be able to study Japanese and the learning culture there is a big change - not for the better in my opinion - be sure that you know what you're getting yourself into.

As for myself I'm registered for Applied Informatics, so I'll be spending the next five-six years at university and see where I roll in from there, hopefully being able to start my own company. I'm not making any really concrete plans because life changes all the time, so most concrete plans won't come out anyway.

I'm currently thinking about my future as well. I've pretty much decided my A level subjects I just don't have a clue about university. I'm thinking something business related.

You have basically the exact same plans as me, except I am going to do Japanese at university - yes you can study Japanese at uni without any prior knowledge of the language (that's what I'm a gonna do), although doing something like spending a year in the country does boost your application a lot I'm told (that's what I'm a gonna do).

You also need a reasonable degree of proficiency in learning a language, ideally a good grade in an A-Level language, but a B or above at GCSE will do. Any worse and it's said to raise eyebrows and their confidence in you to learn a new language can waver as a result.

I know roughly what I'll be doing education wise - Finish my gcse's in may, do A levels (art, computing, biology, geography, english). Then go to Shetland college for a year to study art, then go to the art college thing in dundee, maybe a course in architecture. Im not aure about that however, as I think its a 7 year course, and I dont even like architecture that much.

I would have thought that a degree level language would require an alevel or equivalent in it, but I really don't know, languages weren't really my favourite subject.

I've been toying with the idea of applying for JET when I finish my degree, I'd like to learn japanese and get to know the culture too, and it's probably a good way to get over there and get by. I think it's also the best way to learn a language, by being immersed in it like that so you have no choice but to learn how to speak it sort of thing. Though I guess you'll have done that thing when you take your gap year over there after your alevels. Isn't there some issue with JET though that you can't have been to japan in a certain time period beforehand?

EDIT:Or not, that only counts if you've been there for 3 years or more.

I've got some plans for the future and just wanted to know what you guys think.

I'm 16 at the moment and I am learning Japanese. I'm planning to take a gap year after A-Levels and I am thinking of learning Japanese in Japan. There are courses which set it up and you live with a family (I think..). I am then planning to do either French or History or something similar at Uni. Would it be possible for me to learn Japanese at Uni without an A-Level?

After I get my degree I was thinking in enroling in the JET program (where you teach English in Japan, you don't even have to know the language). I don't know what chance I will have in getting into it.

I know it's a bit ambitious but I really like what I know about Japanese culture (not just anime..). What do you think?

I quoted your post so you'd know it's in response to you, alot of people seem to have just come in and post their future plans.

Moving to Shetland, taking a 1 year course to be an MS desktop technition, get some experience, move back to the mainland with Letty, take a course for server technition, work like a shit cock.

I'll be at my writing course for at least the next 2-3 years, after that, who the fuck knows. Best guess, I'll end up working part time in various bit-jobs so I have something to eat while I do my writing, before jetting off to mark English homework for polite, smiley children in some obscure Chinese metropolis. Eventually I'll return and take a more regular part time job teaching our own home grown little shit heads how to use punctuation. Later I'll have some minor publishing success and then make inroads into television, earning myself a small obituary in The Times when I finally keel over and die of heart disease. I will be 68 years old and survived by my two daughters and five grandchildren.

Moving to Shetland, taking a 1 year course to be an MS desktop technition, get some experience, move back to the mainland with Letty, take a course for server technition, work like a shit cock.

Wow, good luck! That sounds like a big change, but Shetland is awesome.

Anyhoo, I'm finishing university next year and am not optimistic about my results at all. Oh well, my plans are to earn money, do the gap year I never had and either:

a) write and direct a film based on the life of Genghis Khan

b) Open a club

or c) write a worldwide acclaimed album

I have realistic ideas. :grin:

It is entirely possible to learn Japanese at university without an A-level in it. However, an A-level in a language, even if it's an ancient language, tends to help.

That's me then. I'm doing French.

DONT DO FRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

its the most horrid of horrid subjects

its horrrrrible i hate it , the language , the culture and my bloody teacher

its too ahrd!

Well, you might find it hard, but I find it pretty easy. I find it easier than Spanish (the other language I'm doing).

When i finish my A levels which i think will be:

Psychology or physics / ICT / Math / Biology

I would like to go to uni and study Mechanical engineering then go into the navy as either a Aircraft engineer officer, Observer or Helicopter Pilot.

I know i'd need perfect vision to be a pilot which is abit of a bugger so im thinking of having laser eye surgery then not telling them.

tut tut tut Strider.

I wanted to become a pilot, still do, but I have really bad vision. I'm annoyed that Nintendo ruined my vision :p

Well, you might find it hard, but I find it pretty easy. I find it easier than Spanish (the other language I'm doing).

here - i found it easy for g.c.s.e.. tho theyfool u into thinking its easy... then *BOOM* a-level hits u

even really smart people are finding it hard to pass - what the hell am i going to get :mad:

tho then again i do a differnet board for french - might mean mine is harder

shouldda done media instead

Sign in to follow this