NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

Coursework motivation

Guys I really need your help, my dissertation is due in on Friday and I have got sooo much to do, but I just can't get motivated! Any tips on how you get motived to do coursework, I just find there are too many distractions :/

Well I guess the first thing would be to try and get rid of those distractions. Lock away your games and disable your internet or something.

And set goals for yourself on what you want to get done by when. Like, say, by the end of the day, I want to have written 2 pages. Or something like that. And then just try to keep yourself to your goals.

Good luck.

how's this:

if you don't do it, your fucked?

Haha, as true as that maybe and as well as I know it's true, it's not enough :shakehead

amagawd!

Starbucks is the perfect answer. No internet. White noise to keep you humming and the compulsary puchase of strong coffee before you do anything. Laptops are also welcome in most of them. If you get distracted and leave you have to buy another expensive coffees. So thats you motivation to say put and get it done. Also proplus overdoses. And avoid excite truck and other heroinware

how's this:

Wanker! I've been trying to say that over the past 30 minutes but my internet wouldn't fucking post.

Danmon has broken it down quite nicely.

Do it = Not Fucked.

Don't do it = Fucked.

The rest is up to j00.

I'm in a slightly similar situation, only it's revision and not CW, I did have the same issue with my mini project though this year.

I dunno how I got round to doing it in the end, I did go and work on my sister's laptop and disabled the internet(though I cheekily re-enabled it a few times, so try and get one that is completely unconnected and can't be, or turn off the router). The internet is going to have to go.

Second, if it's a laptop, or even a computer, just sit there. It doesn't matter if you don't feel inspired, sit there. Don't 'just' pop to the kitchen to make a cup of tea, sit in front of the screen with your work up and open, and think about it until you get inspired. It may take a while if you're really unmotivated, I sat in front of mine for about 12 hours before I managed to write anything substantial(though i had other distractions like TV, get rid of those too). Don't go to sleep today until you've written at least 250-500 words, then repeat tomorrow. Given WeeYellowBlokes reasoning, change that to 1500-2000 words a day.

Dan and EEVIL raised a very good point, keep it in mind.

Do it = Not Fucked.

Don't do it = Fucked.

true true.

The coursework isnt in for Friday, it is sent away on friday. I had my weekend set full of history and english coursework, but teachers have landed extra pages on me, plus im going into the wilderness for 80% of the day

Wanker! I've been trying to say that over the past 30 minutes but my internet wouldn't fucking post.

Danmon has broken it down quite nicely.

Do it = Not Fucked.

Don't do it = Fucked.

The rest is up to j00.

apologies for the steal EEvil. There's comfort in knowing that we share a higher level of intelligence together at least.

Ah, yes I know this situation only too well. I had to get my dissertation finished last month. Dan and Eevil have the right idea, the thought of not getting it done should be motivation enough. Anyway dissertation should be around 10,000 words right and you have about 6 days left, so as long as you know what you're going to write about and have got the reading done it shouldn't be too much trouble actually writing it. Just try to get around 1,600 words done a day which isn't too much to set yourself and it'll be far, far better then trying to get it all done in two days (trust me, it nearly killed me).

What does 10,000 words translate to in pages? I have to do 30-50 pages, I'm on about page 13/14 I think. If I was going for the 30 page end of the scale I'm half way there!

It was nice reading these replies, especially Eenuh's (so simple >.<). Since I have human rights coursework for monday XD

1,000 = 4 ish in arouhnd size 12?

For motivation, you should get someone to slap you in the face, hard, and scream "MOTIVATE!"

What does 10,000 words translate to in pages? I have to do 30-50 pages, I'm on about page 13/14 I think. If I was going for the 30 page end of the scale I'm half way there!

10,000 should end up somewhere between 30 and 40 pages (mine was 35 though it had a few diagrams). So yeah, it looks like you're well on your way. As long as you get a 1000 or so words a day done then I think you should be fine and get it all finished up with time to spare.

10,000 should end up somewhere between 30 and 40 pages (mine was 35 though it had a few diagrams). So yeah, it looks like you're well on your way. As long as you get a 1000 or so words a day done then I think you should be fine and get it all finished up with time to spare.

When you put it like that it doesn't seem so bad!

I bet you can't do it!

That sounds like a challenge!! I bet I can :laughing:

how's this:

As sensible and down to earth as this may sound, it's surprising how ineffective this piece of advice is. I've been saying this to myself for some years now and it's done fuck all to me.

What will happen if you don't do it? you get a lower grade or fail your degree? so what, I mean, its not like its th end of the world or anything. you could go get a normal job like everyone else, or travel the world doing odd jobs to buy food and the plane ticket to the next coutry. Plenty of things you could do if you failed.

Be a waste of the last few years, but they've been pretty fun, and if you don't earn over £15k you'll never have to ay the money back. Serisiously, I say screw the work, live life to the full.

(I wrote this to distracting myself from my dissitation which I'm only doing because, well, erm, because. )

Somehow, NE helps me do work. If I'm getting a bit bored in the middle of some coursework, I quickly check this site, then go back to the coursework.

So oddly enough I am most active on this site when I have nothing to do and when I have too much to do.

..I've always had problems with motivation for doing coursework and exams.. I can just never start early. Every single time it is always the same: the work gets put back and put back until it gets to the stage where it simply can't be left any later or there is no chance of getting it done (usually a night or two before!)

Somehow, though, I always manage to come through..

You'll get it done!

Sign in to follow this