NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

Planning a holiday in Japan/Tokyo

Zeldafreak you're stupid.. You know nothing really... Everything you said is a complete lie and yeah you should get your facts straight...... Your posts are the only ones I've actually read in this thread and as someone who's actually BEEN to Japan I can tell you you're spreading a load of BS..... :-/

As for the original post, check out some of my other posts regarding Japan and you'll get a lot of information. ;)

Gyah I just re-read some of ZF's post and omg I need to go into more detail. lol

Kelly Osborn = most retarded person I've ever seen in my life..... Her show in Japan was only watchable for the humour of how stupid she is. o.o;;

"EEEwwwww no in my country a massage is seen as so erotic and they would never do that!"

So like you can't get a non sexual massage in England or the US? WTF? :-/

Saying Japanese people don't like tourists is actually really strange..... I had the opposite reaction so yeah... Descriminative statement from ZF abound! :)

Nothing closes at 5:00 in Japan....... Nothing........ Nothing..... Nothing....... Well maybe in the country side, but, even where I was up in the mountains of Hokkaido stuff was open past 5:00. lol

Oh and ermmm stuff is much cheaper in Japan then in the UK at the very least..... Well that's ignoring anime DVD prices which are really crazy. lol I never did understand why but whatever it clashes with the prices of everything else there. lol

Basically I'm assuming ZF is making stuff up as a strange joke but spreading lies isn't exactly funny. :-/

ZF is a asshole tbh. He just makes up stuff to cause a stir and to get attention (he's obviously quite deprived of friends).

Honestly ZF, grow up. The 'everything closes at 5' comment is the stupidest thing i've ever heard..ever.

Yes, well, some people like to make other people think that Japan is worse than it is. God knows why.

I think we should all know better now than to ever take any of ZeldaFreak's posts seriously ever again. We should ignore them as if we don't even know they're there.

I think we should all know better now than to ever take any of ZeldaFreak's posts seriously ever again. We should ignore them as if we don't even know they're there.

Tee hee

teeheezw5.jpg

As some of you may recall from my rumblings in old posts from some years ago, my brother got married to a japanese and lives there atm. I go there from time to time, but strangely enough I never really paid much attention on where to go. I guess I take it for granted (I shouldn't really).

Since you say you're visiting Tokyo in particular - in my case my Tokyo trips are rather bog standard and limited. When and if I arrive at Narita International Airport (which you would if you are going to Tokyo), I usually take an express called Skyliner to Ueno or Nippori station (circled pink in the map). That circular track is pretty much bang in the middle of Tokyo (think Circle Line in London).

JR-tokyo-centre-web.jpg

Mostly I visit Akihabara (blue circle on the right) a few times. It's the busiest district for modern pop culture (like gadgets and all things weird).

Bizarre french maid culture going on there atm which seems to characterize Akihabara. Mostly in a maid cafe you get welcomed as a landlord by japanese chicks dressed in french maid costumes. lol!! When I went there I didn't know what to say or think. Just, "Why!?" as Chris Tarrant would say.

akihabara.jpg

That pic I took in front of Akihabara station, which kind of highlight the stereotype there (for better or worse).

Another place I sometimes visit is Korakuen theme park, it's just off Suidobashi (blue circle in the middle). I must say it's not totally overwhelming, but it's funny how something like that sits right in the middle of a busy city centre. There is no special emphasis on theme parks there. You can visit one like visiting Starbucks for a cup of tea.

I circled Shinjuku and Harajuku to the left of the map, as I go there sometimes. Roppongi (not shown on the map) may be another interesting place to stop at. There was another interesting place where street musicians gather, but can't remember the name for now.

TBH I think you would do good to just pick a few places in a guide book. Japan is a big place (paradoxically). Rural areas may be weary of foreigners (for the reasons I will explain later) but touristy areas are obviously more used to welcoming foreigners.

As for ZeldaFreak, he seems to be a typical example of someone who doesn't actually know much about the country, but built up in his mind a stereotype that tarnishes the image, intentionally or not. And that stereotype is cluttered with hear-says and misinterpretations.

Japanese can come across racist for 2 reasons. Firstly, accumulated fear that foreigners do things which are too different due to massive cultural difference. Secondly, implicit Japanese culture means that those of us raised in explicit cultures fail to see most of their culture and thus fail to observe it, leading to more misunderstanding. These lead to alienation of our kind in a long run. That comes across as racism to us at first sight, but that would be a very shallow observation. It's not really in the same sense as it is in the UK/US where it is much more camouflaged and ill-intended. I used to be treated badly too, but one thing I've been finding lately is that when people there realize I'm observing their culture and behaviour, they suddenly become comforted and friendly towards me; becoming Japanese seems to be more about embracing their culture than anything else. So, it's more to do with "cultural" discrimination rather than "racial" discrimination. Not the same thing at all.

As for Kelly Osbourne's "becoming Japanese" series, frankly that programme was mostly laughable. Kelly was made to do things most Japanese themselves would never come across. It was more about having a laugh than being accurate. Raising it as an example is in itself a display of ignorance.

When I was there i found it generally cheaper than London. Food and drink wise its much cheaper, electronics and gaddjets and stuff if you bring your passport you can get a discount beacuse theres a foreigner dicount thing.

There is also a discounted pass for the bullet trains you can get for about 150 lasting 7 days. You can basicaly own the whole of japan with that. 150 seems expensive but bullets trains are really expensive indivdually.

erm on the racisim thing. I had a guy tell me the concept of rasisim they dont understand , its more of a "them and us thing" ddint no what he was on about lol

what you will find you will get looks and people taking pictures of you. :P

There are some crazy people there.

Thanks for the bump WOOP, and thanks everyone for the information you have provided. I have kinda had to put the whole planning thing on hold for a couple of weeks whilst I get my dissertation finished, but I'll get stuck into reading all your posts soon! : peace:

I prefer Kyoto than anywhere else, I'm more in to the traditional side than the fast developing-no direction of Tokyo. By the way, Japan-Guide.com is a great tourist site, got some nice penpals from there..

Zeldafreak you're stupid.. You know nothing really... Everything you said is a complete lie and yeah you should get your facts straight...... Your posts are the only ones I've actually read in this thread and as someone who's actually BEEN to Japan I can tell you you're spreading a load of BS..... :-/

As for the original post, check out some of my other posts regarding Japan and you'll get a lot of information. ;)

Gyah I just re-read some of ZF's post and omg I need to go into more detail. lol

Kelly Osborn = most retarded person I've ever seen in my life..... Her show in Japan was only watchable for the humour of how stupid she is. o.o;;

"EEEwwwww no in my country a massage is seen as so erotic and they would never do that!"

So like you can't get a non sexual massage in England or the US? WTF? :-/

Saying Japanese people don't like tourists is actually really strange..... I had the opposite reaction so yeah... Descriminative statement from ZF abound! :)

Nothing closes at 5:00 in Japan....... Nothing........ Nothing..... Nothing....... Well maybe in the country side, but, even where I was up in the mountains of Hokkaido stuff was open past 5:00. lol

Oh and ermmm stuff is much cheaper in Japan then in the UK at the very least..... Well that's ignoring anime DVD prices which are really crazy. lol I never did understand why but whatever it clashes with the prices of everything else there. lol

Basically I'm assuming ZF is making stuff up as a strange joke but spreading lies isn't exactly funny. :-/

Bascially your biased because your with a japanese lass, and from what I have read else where and heard of mates who have visited tokyo who have said that. And if you want further evidence Japanese government want to stop english being taught in non private schools

Bascially your biased because your with a japanese lass, and from what I have read else where and heard of mates who have visited tokyo who have said that.

Man, you do like to annoy and aggigate people don't you : / I see it in mutiple threads.

I take from my History education here, but, darkcloud = primary source, he has actually experienced Japan himself, so can talk from what has seen himself.

zeldafreak = secondary source, you have only gained your knowledge through other channels which can be easily lead to distortion and not a full understanding.

Primary sources generally > Secondary sources.

However, I myself have talked to others about Japan, and from what I hear of things, it's not racism in the form that is thought of in this country like discrimination or acts of violence towards one because of their race, but more surprise and fascination with foreign people. This sometimes leading to foreigners feeling/being singled out, but however it is not for reasons of animosity, but instead curiosity. That's what I've heard from people anyway, but as I haven't been personally, I can't speak with complete conviction.

I hope they don't stop teaching English in public schools. I'm applying for a job doing just that in September...

Eh, did my post in this thread get deleted? O.o As in my more recent one.....

Basically I said ZF is stupid for saying I'd be bias due to my girlfriend....... I also posted a like to JET...... :-/

I hope your traveling with All Nippon Airways or British Airways, all other airlines pail in comparison to them, except for maybe Emmerits, their a good airline to go with if your going somewhere in the UAE like Dubai (the best damn place on earth) or Abu Dhabi

Eh, did my post in this thread get deleted? O.o As in my more recent one.....

Basically I said ZF is stupid for saying I'd be bias due to my girlfriend....... I also posted a like to JET...... :-/

I can't see any posts of yours that have been deleted.

Why the hell would they stop teaching English in schools? It's one of the most important languages. Also, Japan has quite a lot of ties to America (am I right on that one?)

I don't buy the thing about stopping teaching English. This is the closest article I could find, yet it doesn't say anything of the sort.

I don't buy the thing about stopping teaching English. This is the closest article I could find, yet it doesn't say anything of the sort.

I got told they were wanting to cancel english in state schools by dabookerman - and this is the guy who loves japan to bits. He has been to Japan as well and agrees with me.

I got told they were wanting to cancel english in state schools by dabookerman - and this is the guy who loves japan to bits. He has been to Japan as well and agrees with me.

Just read that article. Hmm, to be really honest, I don't really see the point in discontinuing the teaching of English over there. It's kinda like the teaching of French or Spanish in Secondary Schools over here, they may not get used by everyone in the future, but it's kinda a nice thing to have.

But, from that article, there was one paragraph which stuck out for me:

"Many younger Chinese speak English, but they are increasingly expecting business partners to speak Chinese. "In Japan, we say that because it is the age of globalization we need to start teaching English in primary schools," he explains. "But the Chinese say: 'Everybody, please study Chinese.'"

Dabookerman hasn't actually been to Japan yet and he is the one who told me to come to this thread to tell you to stfu..... Just a little note about that..... :-/

Dabookerman hasn't actually been to Japan yet and he is the one who told me to come to this thread to tell you to stfu..... Just a little note about that..... :-/

I thought you were cool.

Well, you're not. You're awesome. : peace:

And where the hell is Dabookerman? I thought he would be all over this thread :hehe:

And where the hell is Dabookerman? I thought he would be all over this thread :hehe:

He got banned a while back.

He got banned a while back.

Oh crap, ok, didn't know that..have been away for a while myself!

Sign in to follow this