NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

Planning a holiday in Japan/Tokyo

Hey guys and gals, myself and fellow forumite Lintendo and planning a holiday to Japan/Tokyo for October so I have come to ask some advice. I know some of you have been and some of you want to go, so here are some questions I would like your opinions on:

If you have been, where did you stay, what parts of Japan, and where abouts in Tokyo?

Where did you go when you were there, shopping, entertainment, etc, or if you havent been, where would you like to go?

What was the weather like, we are planning to go in October, which according to my research is a good time to go.

Anything else we should know?

We are still in preliminary planning stages atm, so anything you can tell us will be great, thanks in advance!

Well according to one of my closest friends they are quite racist in some parts about foreigners full stop. She also said if you like US or GB - you really will hate Japan.

Well according to one of my closest friends they are quite racist in some parts about foreigners full stop.

They aren't racist as such but they are wary of foreigners and that is mainly in the more rural parts.

She also said if you like US or GB - you really will hate Japan.

What the hell does that mean? Japan rocks! Thats like saying if you like London you will hate Barcelona. They are completely unrelated, it is down to an individual's opinion.

Enough of my mini rant. Look into how you are going to carry your spending money because I'm not sure if they accept cards in most the shops.

For accomodation, if you want it cheap, youth hostels!!

http://www.jyh.or.jp/english/index.html

You should get a membership, it is about £20 and its something like £15 a night and they are all over Japan.

I can't really advise you on what to do since I don't know what kind of stuff you like BUT I advise you buy a guide book now, or even look on the internet (http://www.japan-guide.com/), for sites/things you would like visit.

Oh, and Tokyo and Kyoto rock!

Hope that helped!

Some of them are racist- racism is a bit more prevalent in Japan than other countries, with signs such as "Japanese people only" in shop windows and the like. I sometimes think Japan has a similar social atmosphere to 1930's England.

As for liking UK meaning you hate Japan, I think that's an unjustifiable sweeping statement.

Nah it was just the fact that after a 5'o clock everything seems to shut down even bars etc. Whilst the US and GB don't really do that. Plus more expensive than the UK and US. Cheaper to go and have a fortnight in the US than in Japan.

Nah it was just the fact that after a 5'o clock everything seems to shut down even bars etc. Whilst the US and GB don't really do that. Plus more expensive than the UK and US. Cheaper to go and have a fortnight in the US than in Japan.

I'm pretty sure when I was there most thing were still open after 5. As for the price, you may be right. Because I live in London I actually found it cheaper. :heh:

Doesn't really bother me, if it is true. But yeah, Japan is known to be very expensive. You have to decide for yourself if the price is worth it.

Though apparently, nowadays, Tokyo prices are about the same as London prices, as Daft has pretty much confirmed. They do charge ridiculous amounts for some things though. For instance, anime DVDs have 2-3 episodes on them, and cost about £40 each. (compare to the UK where 4-5 costs £15)

Cheaper to go and have a fortnight in the US than in Japan.

but then he'd be planning a trip to the US, wich he isnt.

I want to also go to Japan, I was thinking of going in the summer/right after I finish college. I hope to have gotten a fair bit of money by then but planning now i hard. I dont know what I want to do or anything. I thought this thread was for all that and was anxiously waiting to see what peopel would respong but now its just turned into an argument that the Japanese are racist..

There have only been 8 reponses so I don't think its turned into 'Are Japanese racists'...yet. The best advice I can give people who want to go to Japan is get a guide book and come up with a plan of things you want to see. Then maybe ask more specific questions.

Stefkov, I liked you old avatar better, it seemed more personal!:p

I want to also go to Japan, I was thinking of going in the summer/right after I finish college. I hope to have gotten a fair bit of money by then but planning now i hard. I dont know what I want to do or anything. I thought this thread was for all that and was anxiously waiting to see what peopel would respong but now its just turned into an argument that the Japanese are racist..

Which they are Stefkov, they don't like foreigners in their country full stop. They don't like tourists are non japanese people who live their.

Stefkov, I liked you old avatar better, it seemed more personal!:p

Ah well I thought I needed a change. I may change it back when I get bored of it.

When I said what I said it was only just to say that its become totally off topic I think anyway. Only Daft has really answered the question.

He wants to know about the place and the weather, I know that them being quite racist, (someone posted that there was a sign only japanese but I expect in busier places like Tokyo would have a friendly environment), can affect where he goes but you dint speicfy where in Japan was like this. I'd like to know so that I dont waste money and visit the place.

Sod it I just wanna know some answers to what Ollie has posted, don't reply to this.

Well, as for weather, I think October is the right time to go, as it is apparently swelteringly hot and humid in the summer if you're somewhere like Tokyo.

Also, don't make the assumption that everyone will speak fluent English to you- that's like assuming everyone in France is fluent in English. Get at least a phasebook, and practice a few common phrases. (assuming you don't know any Japanese)

Wow, the Japanese don't like people visiting their country, and yet you always see tonnes of them around the UK.. :S

Anyway, I was planning to go after A-Levels. My Dad has been before and tells me that the people are usually nice, so this talk of racism is quite new to me.

edit: I'm learning the language too.

Actually, they love people visting their country- they get to be all welcoming. They sometimes hate people living there permanently.

Why do they hate that? Surely it opens them up to new cultures etc? Or is it more to do with the fact there is hardly any space as it is?

Lets stop taling about the "racism" in Japan. As I have said before it isn't racism as such it is more being wary around foriegners and that is mainly confined to the rural areas. i.e. You will not have a problem.

I walked straight into one of the Japan National Party's meet ups in a square in Tokyo and I felt completely at ease as they were chanting 'Out with the foreign invasion!!!'

So ENOUGH of this talk of racism!

Good idea Supergrunch! Phrase book, you will need one...and a map.

Why do they hate that? Surely it opens them up to new cultures etc? Or is it more to do with the fact there is hardly any space as it is?

They don't want new cultures as such. They look at other cultures and make it their own by putting a Japanese twist on it.

Let me just summarise what I have found out so far...I know that spring (April timeish) and Autumn (October timeish) are supposed to be the best times to visit as it can snow in Winter and its typhoon season in summer (Aug-Sept). So I think going in October is a good time.

I have read that the Shinjuku region is a good place to be in or staying near to as this is where a lot of the entertainment etc is based, also read about the different regions to go to and to aviod in terms of costs. I cant remember the names of the ares but some areas are very over-priced, usually the areas where the business men go with their expense accounts, but then there are areas where the younger people go to and these areas are cheaper.

I also read that cash is the common used payment method and that cards from outside the country are ususally only used to get cash from cash points in post offices.

We want to go visit the Nintendo building, even if its just to see it from the outside, also a certain developers house ;) .

Outside of Tokyo we want to visit some temples to get a feel for the landscape and culture, and we also want to see Mt Fuji, and possibly, go to Hiroshima (but thats bottom of the list as its totally the opposite direction!).

I'm going to buy a phrase book and a couple of tour guides when I next get paid so hopefully that will give me some more information to go on.

Go to Akihabara in Tokyo. That's where all the game/anime shops are. It must be heaven. anyone here been to it?

Go to Akihabara in Tokyo. That's where all the game/anime shops are. It must be heaven. anyone here been to it?

I been and it is awesome! Everything you could imagine...and couldn't!:heh:

If it was with Germans they would be called Nazis, but with Japanese its just cute.

I know several Japanese families (as there are a couple of big Japanese companies who have factories around here) and they are seriously the kindest people I know. I've always wanted to visit Japan, too. I can't give you any advice on where, though.

I have been watching the Kelly Osboune 'Turning Japanese' and J Ross 'Japanorama' seriously most perverted country.

Sign in to follow this