NEurope
Teppo Holmqvist

Anyone interested writing Gamecube collectors guide? (NSF56K)

Hi,

As Gamecube is practically dead, I have started to write finnish Gamecube Collectors Guide, that will be released in PDF / web format. Well, as I know it is quite pointless to write something for so small region, I'm wondering is anyone here interested in writing english Gamecube Colloectors Guide? The finnish version is structured in following way:

01. Cover

02. Introduction

03. Information about various Gamecube peripheals (Official ones / 3rd party)

04. Word about importing / modding

05. Indexes for games by genre, style and rarity

06. Short summaries of most important games in alphabetic order. Each game takes one page. Summary text is 250 words long. Boxart. Two screenshots.

Everybody would naturally get credit for their work, and guide would be released for free after its done. Here is one sample page from the finnish version of the guide:

originsfu7.jpg

Odd color balance and jaggy text are results of dumping page into JPG with Adobe Acrobat 7.0.

So how it sounds? Bad idea? Good idea?

Good idea :awesome: :awesome:

Especially for someone like me who never had a Cube and is looking to get some games for the Wii.

Especially for someone like me who never had a Cube and is looking to get some games for the Wii.

Exactly. That is actually main reason why I'm trying to do this.

nice idea... but it would be much better as a wiki or even directly in the wikipedia. It will live on for ever that way

nice idea... but it would be much better as a wiki or even directly in the wikipedia. It will live on for ever that way

Yeah, there will be web edition too, but not probably wiki, as I don't see reason why everybody should be able to edit summaries. I have also posted this thread on Penny-Arcade forums, and there has been some slight interest for it.

With that much space for a game, won't it be massive?

Well, what does it matter as it is electronic book / website? Furthermore, that sample page has only 250 words, which isn't in reality that much. :)

Well, what does it matter as it is electronic book / website? Furthermore, that sample page has only 250 words, which isn't in reality that much. :)

I suppose you could always make a full PDF, and a split-up one.

is there just english and finnish? or are more languages planned?

It's an interesting idea. Seems like a lot of work though.

Might I suggest a reshuffle of your contents page?

01. Cover

02. Introduction

03. Information about various Gamecube peripheals (Official ones / 3rd party) I do believe this should be after the main section of the publication. Talk about the history of the GC, how it came to be, imagery, hardware reviews, technical specs...

04. Word about importing / modding This seems extremely unimportant to have it's own section but if you do want to keep it perhaps put it towards the end in an appendix type section?

05. Indexes for games by genre, style and raritythink 5 and 6 should be swapped around personally

06. Short summaries of most important games in alphabetic order. Each game takes one page. Summary text is 250 words long. Boxart. Two screenshots. good idea to only stick to the most important games, I assume this will be about 50 games or so? I would also suggest having more than 2 screenshots. It'll be tough to tell the story of a game with only 2 images.

Few more small details:

- I'd consider making the text fully justified as opposed to just left justified

- Look closely at the image layout. It's easy to spot that the bottom image is slightly smaller in width than the one in the middle.

Just some thoughts, it's a cool idea though.

- Look closely at the image layout. It's easy to spot that the bottom image is slightly smaller in width than the one in the middle.

Hmh, it looks Corel Draw has done its tricks once again. Thanks. :)

is there just english and finnish? or are more languages planned?

I'm currently aiming to get english version completed. After that, I'm translating it to finnish. If someone would like to translate it to other languages, I would have no problems with it whatsoever.

Well, I translated Baten Kaitos: Origins summary to english. Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

cubeak1.jpg

I might write some summaries for you Teppo.

Thanks. Next preview on my personal que is Mega Man X Collection, and after that, Beach Spikers.

What are you using to write this whole thing? With a decent LaTex template I guess it would be very easy to just fill in text/screenshots and keep the same layout.

What are you using to write this whole thing? With a decent LaTex template I guess it would be very easy to just fill in text/screenshots and keep the same layout.

Corel Draw. It is only publisher program that I know relatively well. I'm actually using templates, but first picture just had little mistake on it.

Teppo are you from Penny Arcade? Because there was the exact same thread there.

This is a great idea, and I think things like this are important. People will be collecting GC games for years to come.

Seems like a good idea, i might write one or two summaries if you want. It would give me something to do during the daytime.