NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Red Steel - Some Of My Views

from what iv seen here, i thinkill avoid it for now, maybe untill its available for 5-10 pounds. havnt played a deacent shooter since perfect dark to be honest, and didnt like anything else available like time splitters, goolden eye roague agent, ect...

there seems to be too much "wrong" things with red steel and not enough goodness to motivate me to go get it.

I thought the shooting in Red Steel was top-notch, but only once you got the hang of the aiming.

The sword fighting, on the other hand, was a bitch. It didn't work properly, and was to slow when it did.

I personally prefer Call of Duty 3 as FPS' on the Wii go, as it's actually kind of realistic-you can take a quick shot down the sight and you may hit them, but it means you have to be exposed for less time, or you can take your time and aim and pick them off slowly, but it's more likely to get you shot.

What I want now is for Infinity Ward (the people behind the original CoD and CoD2 on PC and 360) to make a new CoD, or even a port of the original (the Wii could handle the graphics...just) and put in the same Wii controls but make the graphics considerably better than CoD3's, as they could easily be scaled up without sacrificing framerate.

The idea of a Wii version of the original has got me salivating. If it where to have online/LAN multiplayer and all the original and patch-added maps, then it would officially be 'the shit'...:indeed::heh::awesome:

Oh, and if Free Radical ever make a (decent) Wii Timesplitters game, then my head may explode with delight.

I'm having fun with the game. I'm gonna be more than a little gutted to give it back to my cousin, and it'll probably tempt me more to purchase it now.

How do the controls compare to Call of Duty? Or Moh: Vanguard?

One thing I've noticed is that in order to turn, you have to move the remote quite a way to the left or right of the screen. Is this what they mean by slow turning?

If that could be improved, then this control scheme should be a winner.

The actual aiming and pumping lead into people is great fun. Can't wait to play more shooters on the system now.

The controls in Call of Duty are better, as the central aiming box is smaller, and therefore it is easier to turn and maneuver through the environment. You can also change the aiming controls to a PC-style locked reticule, but I personally find it a little to jumpy for my liking. Get it, it's well worth it, and is fun once you get past inability to jump the cut-scenes.

As for MoH Vanguard, I don't know enough about it to comment. I would probably have bought it, but I got Excite Truck instead as felt I needed more fun games on the Wii (it's bloody fun, by the way). I may get it when it (MoH) comes down in price, as I like the design of European Assault, which made it enjoyable and proved to me that EA have finally made a decent (in my eyes) game, instead of just publishing good ones and making crap ones. I would probably buy it now, but I've also bought a rather expensive but very nice and styling jumper this week, along with an MP3 player and a Micro SD card to go with it/put music of my choice into Excite Truck (Timesplitters 2 music, anyone?:heh:).

Personally I prefer Red Steel's controls to Call of Duty, as you seem to have more freedom with your aiming, unlike COD, where it felt robotic. Plus RS had far better mission's and replay value, than it's main rival.

Oh, my PC-gaming obsessed friend came over last week to play some Wii with me, and after playing a good amount of games over 5 hours, Red Steel was his overall favourite, as he loved the contols, so we do have potential here!

I also enjoyed Red Steel, nothing amazing but a decent game and like many others have said it shows good potenial with what the Wii can do in terms of FPS games. I did feel the game lacked in depth though. I found the sword fights good at first but later on in the game i just got anoyed with them and quite repetative.

I did have some issues with the controls at first but then soon went (my screen used to jump and swin round sometimes) but i fixed that by going on the wii sensor bar settings and fiddiled with the sensitivity slightly and never had any problems since then. I loved throwing a grenade! It felt so realistic just holding down on the D-PAD and doing a swinging motion!

Not played on any of the other FPS for Wii so i don't know how the other controls compare!

I think there is more love for red steel now because it seems every subsequent FPS has fallen flat on its face. When a decent online, tightly controled fps is released the crapness of Red steel will be revealed. I have hopes red steel 2 might be that game!

I've never really caught on to gaming terms, but would I be right in saying that once you aim outside of the bounding box, the camera changes? Therefore, enabling the gamer to turn?

If that's the case, would that be why Red Steel's turning is often seen as slow, due to the bounding box being a tad larger than it should be?

If that's the case, would that be why Red Steel's turning is often seen as slow, due to the bounding box being a tad larger than it should be?

I believe thats correct. I think some gamers think it would be good to be able to adjust the size of the bounding box. I think, it should be consistent for fair online and against AI gameplay difficulty. Not sure what the alternative is, I think there is no universally suitable bounding box size. Therefore, we need a new type of FPS. E.g. like RE4 where you can not walk or turn and fire at the same time.

I believe thats correct. I think some gamers think it would be good to be able to adjust the size of the bounding box. I think, it should be consistent for fair online and against AI gameplay difficulty. Not sure what the alternative is, I think there is no universally suitable bounding box size. Therefore, we need a new type of FPS. E.g. like RE4 where you can not walk or turn and fire at the same time.

I was just about to say it would be a good idea to be able to adjust the box size, but you're right, it wouldn't be consistant. Hmm.

But then, surely your free to customise the controls of a game to your individual needs, anyway? Is this really any different to mapping a weapon to a different button, changing the sensitivity of the controls, or another option? Hmm.

Imo, the actual aiming and firing is pretty sound, the only thing that needs to be addressed is turning. Especially for smaller levels where you have lots of twists and turns down corridors. Other than that, I can't say I've got a problem with the controls at all.

This game was just poor, regardless of how good the controls were (which I thought were pretty decent). I think we all just got deluded by the hype, and believed that an average console shooter was any good.

This game was just poor, regardless of how good the controls were (which I thought were pretty decent). I think we all just got deluded by the hype, and believed that an average console shooter was any good.

I'm gonna have to agree with my good man Zell here.

In my opinion the controls didn't save the game and want I got was a very under-average shooter which wasn't any fun, but for me I think it had been dwarfed by all the good shooters I have played on other platforms.

Hopefully Red-Steel isn't an example of what is to come from Wii FPSes.

Oh, and if Free Radical ever make a (decent) Wii Timesplitters game, then my head may explode with delight.

You , my freind knows where it's at.:bowdown: The best FPS on the GC - with well implemented Wii-mote controls - would be delicious. I need to behead the undead once more!

I'm gonna have to agree with my good man Zell here.

In my opinion the controls didn't save the game and want I got was a very under-average shooter which wasn't any fun, but for me I think it had been dwarfed by all the good shooters I have played on other platforms.

Hopefully Red-Steel isn't an example of what is to come from Wii FPSes.

Not bad for a first try on a new piece of kit, and a new control method. COD3 and this make a good base for other FPSes to work off. We've seen two slightly differing control methods ( narrower reticule and screen-edge turning respectively) and they prove the Wii has a lot to offer for FPS games. I reckon we'll see some great FPS games once developers get more used to the new inutuitve control method - perfecting the aiming mechanic. I think Free Radical are the best bet for a solid Fps - shame we haven't heard anything, as of yet, about a Timesplitters sequel.

You , my freind knows where it's at.:bowdown: The best FPS on the GC - with well implemented Wii-mote controls - would be delicious. I need to behead the undead once more!

Not bad for a first try on a new piece of kit, and a new control method. COD3 and this make a good base for other FPSes to work off. We've seen two slightly differing control methods ( narrower reticule and screen-edge turning respectively) and they prove the Wii has a lot to offer for FPS games. I reckon we'll see some great FPS games once developers get more used to the new inutuitve control method - perfecting the aiming mechanic. I think Free Radical are the best bet for a solid Fps - shame we haven't heard anything, as of yet, about a Timesplitters sequel.

I agree, Wiimote is a fine piece of kit for the fps genre.

As for Red Steel, Im waiting for a bargain bucket edition before making a purchase.

I agree, Wiimote is a fine piece of kit for the fps genre.

As for Red Steel, Im waiting for a bargain bucket edition before making a purchase.

Yer, its a good piece of kit and I reckon it will suit Umbrella Chronicles down to the ground. Surely companies like AM1 (House of the Dead), should see the potential of the Wii for their light-gun rail arcade-shooters?

Yes I agree with most of you. I hated the game going through the first level but after that I understood the controls better and the experince just went upupup :-) Theres obvious improvents that can be made but its overall not a bad game.

I'm sure Retro Studios will have the controls down ace for MP3 =) Then we will see a real good example of FPS on Wii xD

Ok, I've given the game back to my cousin now. A little depressed, as I was getting into it. Now I'm tempted to buy it, ffs.

Red Steel is great, but only due to the Wiimote controls and being able to kill people quickly who are in your view, especially fun on 4P.

This game has every problem in the book but still ends up being fun.. Feels very rushed..

The sequel should be interesting.. Although I wish they would just lose the sword fighting altogether.

Yep boyo, get it for fifteen quid. Tis worth it.

Yea. It's far from the best FPS, but I've played worse in the last year.

Yea. It's far from the best FPS, but I've played worse in the last year.

yeah thats the view I'd take. It is perfectly enjoyable and despite its many shortcomings there are some really good set pieces but is let down by a lot of its elements.

I bought it and I'm enjoying it much more than I thought. The controls are not nearly as bad as has been made out. I set the sensitiveness to expert mode.

I think it's pretty sensitive atually - not slow at all. I never tried it on the standard setting but that might suit me better.

The shooting is alot of fun. Nice weopons and great sound effects.

Took me about 30 minutes to get used to the controls.

The graphics are not great though. Only some effects are quite good. Most the rest is worst than what we've seen on the Gamecube.

Apart from that the gripes are in the sword fighting (hardly responsive and not particularly fun), and the cut scenes (obviously very cheap) - something you'd expect to see in the 16 bit era.

Red Steal 2 could be great!