NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hal_9Million

Showing the controller to mates

It's difficult in the beginning. They all dissmiss it as a TV remote. I managed to convince someone that it wasn't pap when i showed the attachment. It's still a hard sale though. The video seems to help, and the possibilities article on IGN. But they just don't seem to understand it like me. Has anybody else got similar experiences?

I was chatting to my mate on the phone just as I was descovering what the Revolution controller was. I just said to him it looks like a TV remote and he just laughed. My brother also thought it was a bit crap until I showed him the video and he kinda got what it was about.

I think it is one of thoese things you have to see in action (although we have seen no games we still have a good idea of how it will work) before you make your mind up.

I have the nunchaku pic as my msn display pic, so far I have had two people laugh at it.

will show some friends tmr, will be interesting to see their reactions ...

I thought it was crap at first, bu now that I think of it, it might be great. Of course that usually people don't think they just say what pops in their heads, so Nintendo REALLY needs to show the controller and games so that people get the idea.

the same kind of thing happened with the DS, before software was seen and before you got your hands on it, it looks strange and you can't see the point, but once the software started coming out and people got hold of it, you get infected by the ability to control stuff ingame by touching it, its just not quite the same with a d-pad and buttons, the game changing according to your direction actions makes you feel a connection with it, makes you feel part of it and this is what the rev taps into. I think thats why dance mats, the eye toy, the konga's etc work well and sell well because of having something directly related to the game to control it with, hopefully rev will provide this connection between console and tv for all its games.

Sorry about the ramble, what do other people think?

Yes, I thin it is important for people to make sure they know about it and it's features as when i first saw it I was a tad bit distraught at what they'd done but after having read what the tech demos were I thinking it is really going to be Teh Revolution. Opens up many windows of how to play games. Just as Ninty said it would.

And there are lots of pheriphels in development for it. Visor:heh:...jokes :rolleyes:

I think that a lot of people will think it looks ridiculous just by looking at a still picture of it, just because it's just so different to conventional controllers. You've really got to see it in action to like it, in my opinion, and whatever anyone says, I'm not going to be convinced that it's perfect until I get one in my hands.

On the subject of showing it to your mates, though, I showed the video to my girlfriend this morning and she's really excited about the possibilities, as am I. I just can't wait to see some proper game footage! :)

Well, people never thought the Sony Eye/I-toy was a rediculous idea. And face it, people did look like prats while playing with it. But that was part of the fun. I play games because i want fun and a laugh. I can seriously see myself having fun while using this new controller.

Actually the guys I showed it to really liked the idea. I just had to make sure they remembered that they had to forget about what they thought a controller was before. Afterall it is a Revolution.

In fact, if I recall correctly Nintendo themselves said that people wouldn't understand the controller just by looking at it.

The few people I told about the new controller, seemed to think it could be fun, but said it wouldn't last long before it became old.

The few people I told about the new controller, seemed to think it could be fun, but said it wouldn't last long before it became old.

But, that makes it sound like it's a gimmick. It is not a gimmick. It is merely a new way of playing games. A new level of interacting.

The thing is standards need to be set, and standards need to be broken. Some 20 years ago, D-pad was standard. Then, analogue sticks came and they became standard. The D-pad was not the primary source of control anymore.

Sooner or later, things have to change. Like the shoulder buttons on the snes. They are now pretty much standard. So, hopefully, the Revolution controller will introduce some new standards and different ways of playing games.

They could have at least made it look better, I mean a remote??? Also, there is a lack of buttons. You have; A, B, a, b, Z1, Z2. That's 6. Compare that to Gamecube which has 7 and both XBox and PS2 have 8.

But, that makes it sound like it's a gimmick. It is not a gimmick. It is merely a new way of playing games. A new level of interacting.

The thing is standards need to be set, and standards need to be broken. Some 20 years ago, D-pad was standard. Then, analogue sticks came and they became standard. The D-pad was not the primary source of control anymore.

Sooner or later, things have to change. Like the shoulder buttons on the snes. They are now pretty much standard. So, hopefully, the Revolution controller will introduce some new standards and different ways of playing games.

I hate it how people throw the word 'gimmick' around without proper knowledge of what it means.

It's a common defense for Sony and Microsoft fanboys lately. Well I would call it trolling.

I can't bloody WAIT for the Revolution! I wonder what it's release date will be?

I think it’s one of those things that people (especially non Nintendo fans) will have to experience for themselves before knowing for sure if they like it or not. Its capabilities don’t exactly come across well just from just seeing an image or hearing a description.

I think the idea of it being like a tv remote is clever. No other controller in the world is as wide known as a tv controller. It's actually quite cool, because it's like we're manipulating the tv, and not the console...in a way. I know what i mean. :heh:

Ugh. Everyone at school seems to think it's just a stupid TV remote, and that it's just for one hand.

I think people are afraid of change, when it's capabilites are known commercially things will change.

I think it actually should be shown to mates in the clip form first, not just image. It takes a lot more convincing if they've only seen an image.

I showed some guys at my sixth form and they instantly laughed, though they are all XBOX fanboys anyway, but yeah I think most people are going to judge it on looks before getting the whole point. Only time will tell. I think it's looking great and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

All the Nintendo fan friends LOV IT :)

but i dare not show it to other people :/

I beg to differ matey....I have been trying really hard to like it, and I mean REALLY hard, but I just don't like the idea of waving it about and such. The saving grace is the shell like normal controller that will be made.

I went through quite a few phases today:

8.00am-saw controller-WTF.

8.05am-Began reading about controller-hmmm....could be good, lets give it time.

8.10am-Finished watching Video-Sweet Jesus-WTF is this crap?

Noonish-Nintendo have never let me down before; it could work.

3pm-Talking to a few mates about it-General consensus; 'I don't like this'

8pm-MGS 4 pics for PS3-Sweet Visual Eye Candy!!

So, as you see, apart from the last point, I have been blowing hot and cold in relation to the pad, but at the mo, I'm squarely in the negative camp....time will change that...hopefully.

Sign in to follow this