NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Ultimate Sci-Fi Film

Just browsing the BBC website, and I found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm

Space thriller Serenity has beaten Star Wars to the title of best sci-fi movie in an SFX magazine poll of 3,000 fans.

The futuristic release from 2005 was based on the short-lived TV series Firefly. Both were the work of Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon.

Star Wars - which Whedon has conceded had "an enormous influence" on Serenity - came second in the survey.

Blade Runner was third, followed by Planet of the Apes, The Matrix, Alien and Forbidden Planet.

Glad to see Blade Runner, Planet of the Apes and Alien up there. Love them all. :)

Still, a little surprised at this. I thought nothing would EVER beat Star Wars...not even in fan polls.

who is more foolish? the fool or the fool who follows him?

or those 3000 people

Serenity is awsome, but for fucks sake, who ever choose that over Star Wars should be shot.

Serenity is awsome

or is Caris the fool, im not sure

I really do love Serenity, I think I probably would have voted for it over Star Wars myself. To be honest ive just got a bit bored of Star Wars the past few years, not just the prequels but the originals aswell.

Serenity was one of the most boring films I've ever seen, but then again, so was Star Wars.

Now The Matrix, that was an awesome film - my personal favourite of all time.

I think a lot of people have been jaded by Star Wars. It was a fantastic trilogy that is just constantly being torn to pieces because of remakes, prequels, tie-ins, spin-offs and all this crap.

I had a dream the other night and in it I had not seen the first Star Wars movie. I was not sure why people praised "Star Wars" so highly, so in the dream I watched the first Star Wars movie. And It Was AMAZING. A true sight to behold. Luke Skywalker, the number one 120m runner on Tattoine, was having a crisis. He couldn't quite beilieve that all there was in his life was a sandy planet and at Moisture farm. So he set off for the Star's with an old hack, Harrison Ford and a hairy Peter Mayhew until they came across Princess Leia and she directed them to destroy the Death Star, which was populated by Mormons. The Mormon's angrily shook their fists at Skywalker and the gang , but it was too late because just after the old hack disappeared into his clothes, the Death Star blew up and all the Mormon's no longer had a home.

It ended with Luke Skywalker being awarded a medal for being the best 120m runner on the Death Star and then Princess Leia won the first ever Women's Pole Vault competition and was the first royal since Princess Anne to win an athletics competition in an Empire controlled competition.

Harrison Ford was jealous of their success, so began plotting his revenge, thus setting us up for a sequel, which featured the lustworthy Jeniffer Love Dee Williams.

Serenity is a lot better than Star Wars. Star Wars is okay guys, but seriously. Serenity is a better story, told better with better characters.

But other than Serenity on top, the rest of the list is pretty bad.

Serenity is really over rated but I'm a bit bored of Star Wars. I was given Serenity the series last year for Christmas...It was just a bit dull! Although I can appreciate why people like it!

Serenity is really over rated but I'm a bit bored of Star Wars. I was given Serenity the series last year for Christmas...It was just a bit dull! Although I can appreciate why people like it!

It must be pretty dull if you can't even get it's name right.

Or maybe that's just how much attention you payed to it.

Seriously though, I am suprised Serenity came out on top. The general public genuinley votes for what they're used to, and that is normally something of questionable quality.

Besides, Star Wars isn't even classified as Sci-Fi :confused:.

Serenity is quite simply The Best Film Ever.

You quite simply haven't seen enough films then.

Either that or I have unique tastes.

That must be it. Well done you for figuring out the mystery of Cube and his keeeeeeerrrraaaazzzzzzzzzyyyy opinions.

Either that or I have unique tastes.

lol. Serenity is nice... but better than Blade Runner... or Star Wars? No way.

I am suprised Serenity came out on top. The general public genuinley votes for what they're used to

Try reading the first post again, the survey was conducted by SFX magazine.

Not really surprised by the results myself, scifi on the big screen hasn't been that great in recent years, there's been a few good ones but not many. Just look at the top rated films by this poll they're either a few years old or more than twenty years old, they don't really make them like they used to any more, but I reckon the more recent ones are being over rated because they are fresher in peoples memories.

any1 who thinks that the Empire Strikes Back isnt the best sci-fi film of all time is retarded...

Aliens > Empire Strikes Back

Aliens > Empire Strikes Back

I completely agree with you. Aliens > everything ever. :D

I agree with when you said they don't make films like they used to. I'm quite happy to see Planet of the Apes ranked so high, especially as I don't think it's really in the heart of many young sci-fi fans like the Star Wars films are. It's a very old film, and it seems to have been a bit 'forgotten' imo.

Pah. "Aliens" is a rubbish action film. "Alien" on the other hand is one of the finest sci-fi films ever made. Only "2001" and "Blade Runner" surpass it in my eyes. Although "The Thing" is also very good.

Not sure if its the bestest Sci-Fi film ever, but Serenity had some very entertaining moments. Sometimes more so than Star Wars. But Star Wars is of a far more epic nature, and features conflicts spanning the entire galaxy.

I prefer Serenity and Riddick over the latest Star Wars movies though.

I prefer Serenity and Riddick over the latest Star Wars movies though.

I'd rather watch Plan 9 from outer space then the latest Star Wars Movies. Actualy that films hilarious but even if it wasnt, my point would still stand.

Pah. "Aliens" is a rubbish action film.

Aliens----Hicks.jpg

Awright we waste 'im, no offence.