NEurope
flameboy

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

Hehe, it's stupid, I know. But, there's really nothing more annoying than, for example, watching a tv programme halfway through a series and then having to backtrack to find out why everything is the way it is. For example...I don't know the whole deal with who Leon is, or Ada! Now if I play 2,3 and CV: X, that'd solve my problem. :heh:

If its only for Leon/Ada story skip RE3 and CV.

If its only for Leon/Ada story skip RE3 and CV.

No, I want to know EVERYTHING! :D

No, I want to know EVERYTHING! :D

Good luck.. you'll need to play Umbrella Chronicles too! (To fill some plot holes) :grin:

Good luck.. you'll need to play Umbrella Chronicles too! (To fill some plot holes) :grin:

Haha, bugger. Didn't think of that. The wait for Resi 4 grows longer. :(

If Japan get it in May, it can't be too long before we get it. I mean, how much translating can there to be done? A few tutorials, a few menu's?

Expect it June 2008 in Europe.

You think i'm kidding? :heh:

Nah, i reckon September 07.

Nah, i reckon September 07.
I think we'll get it in the Summer, there's so little do! Controls seem to have been implemented and any translation has been done before for previous versions!

But the mjor issue here which no one is able to tell us yet, is will it push the system graphically and be the GCN grahics build, or will they just port the PS2 version. If they do, I certainly won;t be picking it up.

Firstly, please give a good reason why it should 'push' the Wii.

Secondly, there's absolutely no risk that they might port the PS2 version. The scans already look better, and it's not easier to port the PS2 version at all. The GameCube code can run natively on the Wii and to get the additional content in it, all they have to do is implement the level designs. That's a whole lot easier than REporting (holy crap three word jokes in one, I'm awesome) the entire PS2 build.

well fuck me i stand corrected it's actually true........wow...well if it's a budget release unlike unisofts prince of persia then ill consider but i really dont think so

There are only 2 things that would convince me to buy it again: Co-op and Mii-zombies. I'll take either or both.

I wouldn't be surprised if we just get a port of the ps2 game actually, considering this version has the Ada missions. Either way, it'll still be awesome.

Since Ada's missions will be added to the game, it would certainly be easier for Capcom to use the PS2 engine.

The PS2 lacked a number of visual effects, and its probably easier to not programme the effects into Ada's missions.

If the engine is the same (and it is) the geometry can be imported between the PS2 and GC version, so it's not easier to use the PS2 engine, they'd have to port it over and then take a large ammount of work to use the TEV pipelines like the GC build does, not to mention that engine is not a piece of cake on PS2 either, as the game pushes the system, it uses the vector units and specific PS2 features.

So it's really not needed (or make sense) to use that (PS2) engine; things will look better instantly in RE4 GC Engine just with stuff like Light Scattering shaders applied and higher polycounts on enemies and characters (being that these exist in both versions), not to mention I doubt they did much texture work for the extras as separate ways mostly uses places we visit with Leon in RE4 so probably most of these exist in higher resolution on the GCN version, no need to duplicate them with lower quality ones.

It's even possible that separate ways always ran on GCN as a proof of concept and then scaled down, just like the rest of the game, in order to run on PS2; after all the new FMV cutscenes are once again done from GC ones, using the GC models and not the PS2 in-game; a GC version we've never saw.

I don't see how this game could even look worse than the GC one, it's the GC version with wiimote and 16:9 @ 853x480p + extras.

I wouldn't be surprised if we just get a port of the ps2 game actually, considering this version has the Ada missions. Either way, it'll still be awesome.
Importing geometry of specific places, Ada additional animation frames special weapons and suits? maybe.

Using the PS2 engine... nah.

Now, this is something I don't intend to do:

I mean... Are they encouraging parents to buy a 18-year rated game for their children and play it with them? or are they suggesting that the kids call their parents in?

Sometimes developers generalize Nintendo platforms too much.

Its not that bad...RE4 is only rated 15.

Its not that bad...RE4 is only rated 15.
My box says +18; it's probably 15+ by UK ratings the BBFO or how it's called.

I wonder... Will this version be uncut for Germans? I mean... I remember they got a somewhat worse version of the game (concerning extras).

If i remember correctly...was it like a extra 8 hours gameplay with all these added missions etc..?

Now, this is something I don't intend to do:

I mean... Are they encouraging parents to buy a 18-year rated game for their children and play it with them? or are they suggesting that the kids call their parents in?

Sometimes developers generalize Nintendo platforms too much.

Famitsu = Japan.

Re4 version in Japan had:

No decapitations.

No non-explodable heads.

If i remember correctly...was it like a extra 8 hours gameplay with all these added missions etc..?

Yep.

PS2 version contain:

Separate Ways, a five chapter mini-game which revolves around Ada Wong’s involvement in the Resident Evil 4, and her connection to Albert Wesker, a former member of the Racoon City S.T.A.R.S. squadron, who is now attempting to revive Umbrella. During the mini-game, the player can use a pump-action shotgun and a bowgun with explosive arrows, two exclusive weapons.

Ada's Report, a five-part documentary, which analyzes Ada’s relationship with Albert Wesker and his role in the plot. One unlocks portions of the documentary as they progress through the Separate Ways mini-game.

New costume set, which portrays Leon as a 1920s Mobster, and puts Ashley in an indestructible suit of armor. Leon’s Chicago Typewriter also has a drum magazine as opposed to the regular box magazine.

P.R.L. 412 (Plaga Removal Laser), a laser gun which can be used to instantly destroy enemies. Unlocked by beating the "Professional" difficulty setting.

Movie Browser, a feature that allows the player to view cut scenes from the both Separate Ways and the actual game. The feature is unlocked after a player beats the game.

“Amateur” mode, an easier difficulty setting which is exclusive to the Japanese version

The PlayStation 2 version also offers support for widescreen televisions.

All I am gonna do is quote capcom regarding this..

"American publishers are money hungry"

Here is few tidbits of the Wii port:

- Every extra the PS2 had over the GCN version.

- Full motion control over your knife.

- New enemies and bosses

- Back to the original real-time cutscenes that the GCN had.

- Gamecube controller support.

- May 31st release date.

- $30.

Source: Famitsu, via CAG forum translation that I found on Penny-Arcade forums

Here is few tidbits of the Wii port, that are shamelessly taken from Penny-Arcade forums, who took it from another from that translated Famitsu article:

- Every extra the PS2 had over the GCN version.

- Full motion control over your knife.

- New enemies and bosses

- Back to the original real-time cutscenes that the GCN had.

- Gamecube controller support.

- May 31st release date.

- $30.

Oh yes, these reasons are justifying my future repurchase of this game. And I can always trade in my Gamecube copy of the game, which will make it even cheaper.

If that is the case, consider me sold.. especially if $30 translates to something respectable over here.. surely no more than £20!

I'll buy this, even though I've got the Gamecube version. I'm that lame.