NEurope
Nintenchris

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

This is a grande occassion in gaming history, so surely it will be followed with lots of advertisements and such...It will be a bit weird having an advert for a Beijing 2008 Olympic game...In Christmas 2007.

Christmas sales are much greater than Summer sales. Plus half of the casual gamer crowd is too busy watching the Olympics to buy a game. So, why not release it at Xmas, reap in sales then advertise it once more in the summer for even more sales?

Just watched the vid of hurdles, the graphics are superb!

The commentator even says each characters name and the crowd goes wild! :D

Christmas sales are much greater than Summer sales. Plus half of the casual gamer crowd is too busy watching the Olympics to buy a game. So, why not release it at Xmas, reap in sales then advertise it once more in the summer for even more sales?

Hmm, makes sense I guess.

100m Dash

100m Hurdles

Triple Jump

Hammer Throw

Archery

High Jump

Javelin

Swimming

Table Tennis

Team Mario

Mario

Luigi

Bowser

Peach

Wario

Yoshi

Daisy

Team Sonic

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Dr. Robotnik/Eggman

Amy

Shadow

Blaze

Edit:

New Trailer

How come theres no DK in the Mario team? He's usually around in the Mario sports titles.

Figured I'd post this as nobody has. The Character Selection screen has been revealed. Courtesy of GoNintendo

57371520070924_234136_4_big.jpg

wow I didnt expect vector of the chaotix crew to be there:)

actually where is dk? Thats pretty weird they even have waluigi there

I think they figured DK would be too many power guys, so Waluigi fit into the "skill" type.

ok i understand that for power sonic has eggman and vector and mario has bowser and wario but i would think even donkey kong is more recognisable than wario:S

There may even be some unlockable characters (DK/Big the Cat...) This game just shows how limited the Sonic universe is in comparison to Nintendo IP's when character sets are limited. Lovely character models though. "Tooo diieee forrrrr"

Fencing РIndividual ep̩e

Archery

Shooting – Skeet

Gymnastics - Trampoline

Gymnastics - Vault

Field - High Jump

Field - Pole Vault

Field - Long Jump

Field - Triple Jump

Field – Javelin Throw

Field - Hammer Throw

Rowing – Single Sculls

Table Tennis - Singles

Aquatics – 100m Freestyle

Aquatics – 4×100m Freestyle

Track – 110m and 400m Hurdles

Track – 4×100m Relay

Track –100m and 400m

Plus

- 2 more normal events

- Quiz mode

- Some fantasy events

- Gallery with facts and figures from past Olympic Games

- Mission Mode

- Some fantasy events.

Now if it's something really crazy then I will buy the game. But I will keep an eye on that

This games really captured my interest lately. It looks good so far and I can't wait to try fencing, hope controls are good for it.

I think i'll be picking up this later in the year.

Fencing – Individual epée

Archery

Shooting – Skeet

Gymnastics - Trampoline

Gymnastics - Vault

Field - High Jump

Field - Pole Vault

Field - Long Jump

Field - Triple Jump

Field – Javelin Throw

Field - Hammer Throw

Rowing – Single Sculls

Table Tennis - Singles

Aquatics – 100m Freestyle

Aquatics – 4×100m Freestyle

Track – 110m and 400m Hurdles

Track – 4×100m Relay

Track –100m and 400m

Plus

- 2 more normal events

- Quiz mode

- Some fantasy events

- Gallery with facts and figures from past Olympic Games

- Mission Mode

sega WONT fuck this up i feel.. They wont get mario again if they do:)

athens for ps2 was fun..

Mission mode eh i hope this will have a good one player as well as multiplayer.

Plus Miyamoto is over looking it aswell. I have faith that this will be pretty good.

Even though the game has 20 events and a few modes I hope it won't become boring to play later on.

This game has the potential to be so good. I LOVE olympic games and this has so many events! If sega have got them all spot on this could be an absolute killer title! Theres some really ambitious events in there too. I mean, running, hurdles, and the jumping events are pretty easy to nail! But fencing? Rowing? Gymnastics? Interesting. I dont want to get too excited cause it could easily be average, but it could also be one of my favourite games!!

I mean, if they crack table tennis alone it could be worth the buy above Rockstars!! I also hope the options for playing the events is high! I doubt it, but still hope!

Graphics look pretty solid. Good start. Just as long as they can capture some of that Track & Field magic.

I thought that's been known for ages, but I dunno what you can do with it yet or if it's just leaderboards.

So cool to play it online.

There really is no reasonable technical reason why this game shall not support at least 4 friends in an orgy of Olympic Greek passion.

Some great impressions rom GoNintendo. This has got me very excited about the game and ONM should take note, this is how to write a previe as opposed to the awful attempt the made with this months magazine.

While I had always dreamed of Mario and Sonic teaming up in a game, an Olympic sports title isn’t exactly what I had in mind. Just seeing the two characters together for the first time was an awesome sight. It didn’t matter what the game was. Now that that buzz has worn off, I have been wondering of the actual game would be any good. I’ve played Olympic titles before, and they really weren’t fun. Most of them seemed to be rush jobs, or quick cash-ins with the license. Maybe they weren’t fun because Olympic games just don’t mesh well with traditional controller schemes. Something a little more active makes a lot more sense when approaching a title like this. That’s why I believe Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games had a chance. Take all these popular characters and mix them together with events everyone recognizes, add in the Wii controller scheme, and you might actually have something fun. I finally had a chance to get some hands-on with the game, and both Nicky Hill and I were blown away by how much fun we were having.

We got to check out a number of events while at Sega’s press event. The guy running the demo was nice enough to show us any event we wanted, and then we could try our hand at it if we liked. He ran through the 4 x 100m freestyle, rowing, the trampoline, and a lot more. There was no shortage of events to try out, and with the added ability of multiplayer, you could definitely lose a lot of time playing. All the games that we saw had controls that made sense for what you were doing. There are a couple that involve running, which takes the pumping of the Wiimote/Nunchuk to complete. While the Wii control scheme isn’t really set for running, the controller pumps work just fine if you imagine someone pumping their arms. I know it isn’t the first time we’ve seen something like this, but M&S requires you to keep your rhythm as your running.

While a lot of the events were fun, we played a few that really pushed us over the top. We didn’t get to sample all that the game had to offer, but we did get a lot of time with a select few events. I thought I’d go into detail about two events that really got our attention, and sucked the time away quickly.

Having just seen the screenshots of fencing, I wanted to hop into that event and try it out. Basically this mode puts you in a tournament setting, and you’ll have to square off against multiple opponents (one on one) to advance to the top position. Nicky Hill and I played two player, so we squared off against one another in the first round. There are three moves that you have at your disposal. You can lunge forward and jab your opponent, knock away an opponents attack, and finally, a broad swipe. While that might not seem like a lot to do, the combination of using all these while moving back and forth on the platform makes for an awesome experience.

Think of it as a sort of Rock, Paper, Scissors style of gameplay. You are constantly trying to predict what your opponent is going to do. They are subtle movements that can help you decide what you should perform. For instance, if you can predict an opponents lunge, you can parry that and make your own swipe. Of course, all these actions are performed via the real-life motions. The only difference is that you hold A down for one of them. Controlling your character on a 2d path (back and forth) while working to avoid attacks, parry attacks, and make your own…it starts to look like a dance. A dance of death if you will! The first to land 15 attacks will win, and progress in the tournament. Playing against another person is the most fun, but playing against the computer was great as well. The AI is no slouch, and will put up one hell of a fight. My final score against my AI opponent was 15 for me, and 13 for Vector.

I thought fencing was fantastic, but Archery blew us both away. We played the hell out of archery, and eventually gave it up because we thought we were hogging the game. Archery is extremely easy to follow. All you have to do is aim your bow and arrow towards a target, and the objective is to hit as close to bullseye as you can. You’ll receive points based on where you hit, and these points add up each round. There are a total of four rounds to work through, and your final score will be the sum of all those rounds. While things may seem simple enough, it is the control scheme that works extremely well, and honestly gets you about as close to real life archery as you can get.

Let me run you through the steps needed to perform a shot. First thing you have to do is hold the A and B button to simulate grabbing the back of the arrow to stretch the string back. Once you hold down A and B, you have to keep them held while you pull the Wiimote back behind your head, right next to your ear. When you do that, two reticles will pop up on screen. You have to position your Nunchuk hand as if it were holding the front of the bow. Now you have to line these two reticles up by moving the Wiimote and Nunchuk around. The Wiimote is all done through the IR, and the Nunchuk senses your movement via your pivoting of the unit in your hand. Just imagine you were shooting a real bow and arrow. You would move the bow hand around to help get your aim, and the back hand would follow. Once you line up these two reticles, you release A and B to launch the arrow. You also have to account for wind later on in the game. It will show you where the wind is coming from, and how strongly it gusts via a meter…much like a golf game.

I swear to you, if Sega made an archery game based on these mechanics alone, I would be there day one. There is so much skill involved in shooting, and the controls worked perfectly. Once you understood what you had to do, the game became a ton of fun. I know that the GoNintendo team is going to spend A LOT of time setting point records, and breaking them. While we were playing archery, a crowd of people came over and started to watch. I think a lot of people didn’t even bother to truly try Mario and Sonic, but archery pulled them in. It’s one of the best uses of the Wiimote and Nunchuk that we have seen yet.

I don’t know that Mario and Sonic will sell 4 million copies. I do know that from what I have seen so far, it is definitely worth another look. I don’t want to recommend a purchase simply because I need more time with the title. What I can tell you is that it is progressing very nicely. We didn’t have any control issues in the game, and the events were kept fun and fresh. The multiplayer is going to be a blast, that’s for sure. If only the title allowed for us to play online with each other. As it stands right now, you should be very excited for the game. This is an Olympics game that’s not a quick cash in. Sega and Nintendo know that they franchise characters deserve an excellent first outing, and that seems to be the case so far.