NEurope
Nintenchris

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

This is made by an external team, overseen by Nintendo and Sonic Team (which as it happens also includes the Athlete Kings chaps these days!)

Suffice to say, any guesses as to its multiplayer numbers based on Smooth Moves are rather meaningless. :)

Traditionally though, with multitaps and whatnot, olympic games made by anyone with half a brain has plenty of players. Athlete Kings did anyhoo.

In fact, bring that series back, Sega! :o

good point, but surely olympics really is a 4 player (if not more) game?!

The fact that sega is publishing the title gives me hope for 4 player and on-line.

1. Well, SEGA probably thinks that it will sell best on christmas market. After all, their license doesn't say *when* they must release their game. :)

I checked up on it.

the Olympics are in AUGUST.

thats closer to christmas 2008 than christmas 2007.

also, I dont understand what all this 'monumental announcement' stuff is about, Sega have been working closly with Nintendo for years, they already worked with a major Nintendo IP before with F-Zero.

Then Again, I was only a sperm in the Ninty Vs. Sega wars, so what would I know.

There could be a reason behind this odd selection of release date.

I thought of this after something that was said on the 1up Yours Podcast, about the nature of the industry whereby you will have one big spike in sales when the game comes out and 80% of that games sales come at launch. Now other industries don't work like that all, if the film industry is used as an example, a DVD will see many spikes in it's life cycle, be it the film appearing on TV, a sequel coming out (people always want to own whole series of films etc...but the same can't always be said for games) or whatever else, the same doesn't happen with games at all, of course you do get the odd game that just keeps getting bought which explains the likes of Brain Training and New Super Mario still riding high in the DS charts...

So maybe they are releasing it at Xmas to take advantage of the obvious higher sales at this time of year...and then they anticipate a second spike around the time of the olympics...

and you know what the beauty of sega is? They more or less launch games worldwide at the same time with a tiny gap. i mean sonic was released everywhere very shortly

i love the whole concept. this game has the potential to be huge. it should be fun with so many events to choose from and there should be lots of variety.

I'm sure Sega and Nintendo will nail this like they did with F-Zero. esp with Miyamoto overseeing things.

This will sell by the bucket load and will bode well for developing the relationship between Nintendo and Sega further.

I dont understand what all this 'monumental announcement' stuff is about, Sega have been working closly with Nintendo for years

Too old school gamers, the fact that Mario and Sonic are featured in the same game makes it monumental. If you started off playing games from the psOne/N64/Dreamcast you'll probably don't get what's the big deal.

:geek:

I hope they basically go out and make Wii Sports 2. With online. That would be amazing. Also, I think it would pretty cool to see the full range of Nintendo and Sega characters. For you average party game prehaps not, but the official olympics license I think deserves a salute from the big guns. I'd love to see Tingle in a hammer throw event against that purple thing from Nights or something.

I hope they add some third party characters.

I mean, just Solid Snake would be pretty lame.

It would be better without him? *raises eyebrow*

Hahaha that comic was good.

And i'm not even gonna believe that Laurent Fisher guy just now,he's nothing to do with the development or near the country :heh:

We'll just have to wait and see though,best bet is in July.

I hope you have the option to take performance enhancing crack or anabolic steroids. Imagine the urine test minigame!

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7978/1/Mario_&_Sonic_Bigger_Than_Halo_3?

Nintendo Wii/DS News | Mario & Sonic Bigger Than Halo 3?

Speaking to Reuters, Sega's Corporate Director Masanao Maeda not only believes that the PS3 price should be slashed, but thinks Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (Wii, DS) has the potential to be No.1 in November and rival the Xbox 360 mega-hit Halo 3 in terms of sales!

Whilst it's very likely the Wii will OWN much of the chart in the run-up to Christmas and perhaps even hold an exclusive title for Christmas no.1 this year (with Super Mario Galaxy? SSBM?), I'm not sure Mario & Sonic at the Olympics will sell better than Halo 3, as it hasn't got anywhere near the same hype!

Although Mario Party 8 has done extremely well, so who knows!

But Super Mario Galaxy or SSBM (whichever is the November/December release) for Christmas No.1 this year? What do you think?

The Wii should have certainly outsold the 360 by then!

Sell more than Halo 3, no. Sell a lot, yes.

It has Mario and Sonic so high sales is guaranteed. But this years nr.1 game on Wii is Galaxy, which has a great chance becoming the bestseller.

-

And also I hope Mario & Sonic doesn't turn out to be a game with olympic minigames.

And also I hope Mario & Sonic doesn't turn out to be a game with olympic minigames.
Isn't that exactly what it's likely to be? What are you expecting?

Wow, they want to take the Behemoth head-on, I've gotta give them credit for that.

I certainly hope they're saying that based on the quality of the product.

I'm actually really really really looking forward to this! I love track and field games and this sounds amazing!

I wanna see some screenshots!

I can totally see this becomming No. 1, even beating Halo 3. Sonic and Mario are just too recogniseable, and are likely to appeal to the casual mass market the Wii currently hold even more then the "hardcore" gamers themselves. Coupled with the olympic license, it's simply a game with built-in pulling power.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776878p1.html

NoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo!

The article is dated March 29, 2007. There is still a glimmer of hope that Sonic being in the game was NOT A PRIORITY at that VERY moment in time when Laurent was asked the question and was perhaps subtly pushed aside for the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE official confirmation at E3 or TGS.