NEurope
Nintenchris

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

MarioSonic.gif

Video games history is made as Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games is unveiled.

It would have been unthinkable ten years ago, but two of the greatest video game icons are set to star together in a new title for Wii and DS.

Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games will be released in November, published by Sega in Europe and North America and by Nintendo in Japan. It has been licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee.

"We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title," said Sega's president and COO Hisai Oguchi. "For the first time, two of the world's greatest games characters come together to compete in the world's greatest sporting event and we couldn't be more excited."

Nintendo's senior managing director and general manager Shigeru Miyamoto offered: "Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games. In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we can finally learn who is the faster, Mario or Sonic?"

"The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion," added ISM's chairman and COO Raymond Goldsmith. "Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26301/Sega-announces-Mario--Sonic-game

OMG!

This seriously opens the gates for Sonic to leap into SSBB

Nope.. the site i got it the info from does not do the whole April fools "joke" thing.

SEGA AND NINTENDO JOIN FORCES FOR MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES

Legendary Icons Appear Together for the First Time in Video Game History

TOKYO (March 28, 2007) - SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co. Ltd. today made a historical announcement that two of the biggest icons in the entertainment industry, Mario™ and Sonic™, are joining forces to star in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Developed for the Wii™ video game system and the Nintendo DS™ system, this momentous agreement marks the first time these two renowned stars have appeared together in a game.

Published by SEGA across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will be available for Holiday 2007 and is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, players will compete in events that take place in environments based on the official venues of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Using a supporting cast of characters from the amazing worlds of both Mario and Sonic, gamers will be able to compete as or against a range of lovable personalities including Mario, Sonic, Luigi™, Knuckles™, Yoshi®, Tails™ and more. Innovative usage of the Wii and DS control systems to maneuver a favorite character will allow players to race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track, engage in exhilarating rallies in table tennis and churn water in a swimming heat, all while competing for the much sought after gold medal.

"We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title," said Hisao Oguchi, President and Chief Operating Officer, SEGA Corporation. "For the first time, two of the world's greatest games' characters come together to compete in the world's greatest sporting event and we couldn't be more excited."

"Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games," says Shigeru Miyamoto, Senior Managing Director and General Manager, Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd.. "In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?"

"The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion," said Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ISM. "Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations."

For further information on this title please visit http://www.sega-press.com for Europe and the SEGA FTP for America at: http://segapr.segaamerica.com.

About SEGA Corporation:

SEGA® Corporation is a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home, encompassing consumer business, amusement machine sales and amusement center operations. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. SEGA® Corporation's Web site is located at http://sega.jp.

About Nintendo:

The worldwide innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™, Nintendo DS™, Game Boy® Advance and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. Since 1983, Nintendo has sold nearly 2.2 billion video games and more than 387 million hardware units globally, and has created industry icons like Mario™, Donkey Kong®, Metroid®, Zelda™ and Pokémon®. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at http://www.nintendo.com.

About ISM:

ISM is active in managing and developing entertainment software applications. In addition to the exclusive rights ownership of the Olympic Games, ISM is one of the world's leading providers of sports fantasy games, particularly specializing in the football/soccer sector. Visit the company's website at http://www.ismltd.com

TM USOC 36USC220506

SUPER MARIO characters © 2007 NINTENDO

Nintendo, Nintendo DS, Wii and the Official Seal are trademarks of Nintendo.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG characters © SEGA. All Rights Reserved.

Sega is registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. SEGA, the SEGA logo and Sonic The Hedgehog are either registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Corporation.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=11783

EDIT: Same at Sega's own website:

http://www.sega-europe.com/en/NewsStory/1489.htm

EDIT 2: Same at ISM's website:

http://www.ismltd.com/

"race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track"

Er...Won't it be a bit one-sided?

I hope they include an option to import Miis into the game.

Please god dont include any other caracters from any of the Sonic games... especially Tails the squeaky git

this is a tester i think. they test to see how popular this is then they include sonic and mario in other games.

Please god dont include any other caracters from any of the Sonic games... especially Tails the squeaky git

Mario, Sonic, Luigi™, Knuckles™, Yoshi®, Tails™ and more.

Looks like Tails and Knuckles are there.

Fuck off, give me a Mario & Sonic platformer instead.

That just made me think that a tag team Mario and Sonic game would be great. You could have the fun speed sections of recent Sonic games whilst off laying the actual platforming to Mario, catering to both characters' strengths.

Anyway, flights of fancy aside, I guess this near enough cements Nintendo as Sonic's new spiritual home. I can practically hear the groans at the thought of a new minigame collection, though.

whooo.. we need syncronised Swimming.. and marathon.. shaking the controllers for more than an hour.. and ofcourse Taekwon-do

"race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track"

Er...Won't it be a bit one-sided?

I hope they include an option to import Miis into the game.

But just think about the other events Mario could win, like erm... long jump?

Actually just imagine how much an advantage Tails has in the high jump

So if this is real then it should be pretty class. They should throw as many Sonic characters in it as possible, sure we see enough of Mario and the gang in the Mario Party's and Sports games. This should be a nice change.

Team Nintendo Vs Team Sonic. Grrr!

(And Sonic and Co should now be in the new Mario Footy game.)

Great! I think I suggested a 'Mariolympics' game ages ago as something I think could be cool for the Wii.. I never would have expected Sonic to be in there too!

Hopefully this paves the way for appearances in other games (Smash, Mario Kart.. and hopefully a platformer!)

So if this is real then it should be pretty class.

It is real. I don't think that Olympics Commitee and its official licensees take part in april's fools. :)

You can never be too careful with these things, Teppo. :wink:

Interestingly then we're getting this Olympics game and (almost certainly) NiGHTS... now if only that Mushroom Kingdom Hearts was a real game...

This sounds like a total April Fool. I mean, the quote from Shiggsy sounds way off. "We can finally learn who is the faster, Mario or Sonic?" Err Sonic, duh. I'll reserve judgement until after April 1st.

I think they're just doing it a bit earlier to try and muffle all the NiGHTS excitement going around.

This sounds like a total April Fool.

Do you think that ISM, International Olympics Commitee official licensor for Interactive Entertaiment Software would take part in april's fool? Or that Sega would create complete website for april's fool, and distribute fake press release to retailers and wholesalers in five different languages? In business world something like that would be flirting with commercial suicide. :)

Yeah? There are fake press releases sent out every year from games companies.

And why not?, ISM aren't the Olympic Committee who I'd agree, probably wouldn't be involved in an April Fool like this.

Maybe it is true but I'll still hold judgement until after April 1st.

Whichever way it turns out, they've still released this now to silence all the NiGHTS chatter for a bit.

EDIT: Oh and the website isn't so much a website. It's just one single page.

And why not?, ISM aren't the Olympic Committee who I'd agree, probably wouldn't be involved in an April Fool like this.

If you didn't know, Olympic Commitee does except exceptionally high ethics and professionalism from their business partners. In fact, they are more important reasons than wads of dough when it is decided who gets the job. They wouldn't take part in this.

Fuck off, give me a Mario & Sonic platformer instead.

Agreed..........

........Olympics? WTF is this shit. Oh well...could still be awesome. Although Id much rather have a Platform game!